BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #porcelain_of_sisyphus-0 | 2021-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Porcelain of Sisyphus is the zen ocd music art germ game of 2021! Enjoy a li'l hell.

Featuring awesome musical stylings of @yeenmachine

Hold down ❎ to bleach the culture, 🅾️ to display the title (and sprinkle more grody pixels on the porcelain).

3 comments

Cart #kindahotproto-0 | 2021-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Making my own tiny, tile based version of SuperHot. Here's the prototype!

Arrows for movement
Z/C to use weapon if equiped. Otherwise punches
X to pick up weapon. Later, you will be able to throw them too.
S to skip a turn.

When you go past the top of the screen, you will be sent to the start. Later versions are planned to update the room when you exit it.

Bullets don't do anything yet since I haven't had enough time to do that yet(remote learning. Ughh.) Punching doesn't do anything either. One enemy is at the end of the room, but, once again, does not do anything. You can go through him if you want. I do want to keep working on this. Let me know what you think!

1 comment

Current Build!

Cart #rushgame-5 | 2021-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've added music and sound effects!

This is working a lot more how I want it to. Still want to clean some things up and I'll need to get some playtesting in order to nail down a lot of the numbers, but this is a lot more like what I'm hoping the game to be.

Gather fuel before you run out! Fuel drains over time plus rushing uses even more fuel!

Arrow keys to move
X to "rush"

If you do try the game:
How does moving feel?
Did you use the Rush mechanic much? Did the cost feel too much or too little?
Was the fuel a good motivator and did it seem too harsh or too forgiving?
Other thoughts?

old builds:

Cart #rushgame-3 | 2021-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the same as 0.4.1 except without music.

Cart #rushgame-2 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ok I actually went in and cleaned up a lot of the messy code! Also my girlfriend helped me understand the bitwise and vector stuff I've been struggling with. This plays pretty similar to the build I posted a few hours ago, but still needs a lot of tweaking!

Arrow keys to move
X to "rush"

Cart #rushgame-1 | 2021-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Today I spent a couple of hours improving the game. Adding juice, tweaking movement, and stuff like that. The game is a lot more playable but still has a long way to go! If you try it, be sure to let me know what you think!

Arrow keys to move
X to "rush"

Cart #rushgame-0 | 2021-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this game on stream in a 2-hour time limit (ok I made a few tweaks past the time limit but not more than five minutes after).
It needs a lot of tweaks to be actually fun but it technically exists.
One viewer called it "absolutely a game!"

Arrow keys to move
X to "rush" (aka dash but also it's garbage in this build)

How long can you survive?

I'll be making tweaks to this in later streams!

2 comments

Cart #madumazegi-2 | 2021-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Description: In this game you play as a thing that must go through a half fire temple, and half a ice mountain.

Controls: (<) and (>) keys to move
(Z) to jump
you can also wall jump with (Z) when next to a wall

11 comments

Cart #cardinal_menu-1 | 2021-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I wanted a nice simple menu system for pico-8 so I decided to recreate an old UI I made ages ago in Flash (my game Red Rogue uses it).

The Cardinal Menu only uses arrow keys to navigate. The menu is made of branches. Each item in a branch points to either a string (providing a description panel), a function in your code, a new branch, or nothing (disabled).

The purpose of this system is to make it as fast as possible to build a menu and add options.

In the demo you can see what each option does and there's a demonstration of an inventory system.

The menu system alone is 712 tokens.

This is about as basic I could make it without adding too much noise to the code, but I welcome suggestions for improvements and optimisations.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I'm working on this small animation library. It adds a straightforward way to animate an object's state.

Usage example:

Let's say there's a game object called "progress", representing a progress bar we want to animate:

progress={value=0}

we could animate the value rising from 0 to 100 by adding this to something that triggers the progress to start:

tween(progress,{value=100})

and in _update() we want to call the animate() function to keep updating the value, until it's duration has elapsed:

if has_animations(progress) then animate(progress) end

Demo

Cart #tweendemo-2 | 2021-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Configuration

There are some global variables you can override:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #ggaughan_picodefender_1-2 | 2021-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pico Defender

A remake of the Williams classic.

Controls

• Up/Down
  • Left/Right
  • X to fire
  • Z for smart bomb
  • X+Z for hyperspace

How to play

Blast Alien Ships

Blast landers carrying humanoids before they mutate. Catch falling humanoids - 500 points; Return them to surface - 500 points. Bonus for surviving humanoids after each alien wave. If all the humanoids are successfully abducted, the entire planet will explode in a blinding flash!

Hyperspace - Warp To Another Quadrant - Caution

Smart Bomb - Destroys Enemies On Screen

Bonus Ship and Smart Bomb every 10,000 Points

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #peng-0 | 2021-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #zasizowiji-0 | 2021-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knows how I can calculate the number of days between a date assigned to a variable (or 3 variables actually) and the current date please?

I have googled around and now know that I can use the following to get the current date in Pico8:

year=stat(90)
month=stat(91)
day=stat(92)

And if I set up three variables to hold a date in the past e.g.

appyear=2018
appmonth=7
appday=13

How can I easily work out the number of days between the 2 dates please, or do I need to work up some code to acknowledge the different number of days in various months, and work it out like that? Sounds fiddly!!

Any help much appreciated :-)

Thank you!
Paul.

3 comments

It has become very awkward to select text in the PICO-8 editor. Unless you nudge it really carefully it starts rocketing in the direction you're scrolling too fast for it to feel natural, I now have to use the keyboard exclusively for selecting text. Not sure if the speed change was intentional or accidental, but it would be great if it were at least configurable.

6 comments

Cart #podofimose-0 | 2021-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just a quick experiment, slightly related to magnetic fields around wires and strange attractors.
10 minutes coding and hours contemplating...

Have fun!

../..

Lorenzo 2! The result might be different but for the same reasons.

Cart #mujazepafo-0 | 2021-04-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(x): reset
(o): toggle trace

3 comments

Hey there! I'm working on a small PICO8 Spellcrafting & Sailing Roguelike with the working title of "Clarice Clairvoyage"!

Please wishlist the full release on Steam!

Cart #clarice_clairvoyage-2 | 2021-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

If you get stuck you can reference the manual for help!

Gameplay

The game is centered around the concept of crafting spells by stacking different pages of a spellbook. [i](some of these gifs are older than others, so with old sprites)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #tankzilla-9 | 2021-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TankZilla is an asymmetric sci-fi wargame, where you have to defend your outpost against the AI controlled megatank "TankZilla".

The red AI and blue player take turns controlling their units in a few phases; first there is a move phase followed by an attack phase, and some units get a secondary move phase. After this the other player goes.

TankZilla (the red megatank) wins if it destroys your outpost and then escapes southward. The blue defence force that you control can win by destroying the TankZilla unit.

Your (blue) defense units:
HOVR - Hover tank. Movement 4. Attack 3. Range 2. Defense 2. Gets a secondary movement of 3.
HVY - Heavy tank. Movement 3. Attack 4. Range 2. Defense 2.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #jetpico8-0 | 2021-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A carefully crafted Pico-8 demake of Rareware's ZX Spectrum classic, lost in space and with only your blaster to protect yourself, you must collect all pieces of your spaceship, fuel it up and escape as soon as possible

Credits/Special thanks:

-Main game and most music/graphics by myself, Coffee Bat
-In-game song 3 by the outstanding Blameitontherobot
-Original game by the amazing Ultimate/Rare
-A couple of ideas and the main inspiration to make this game thanks to Asobitech and their amazing Super Jetpak DX

6 comments

Cart #leadersfinal-0 | 2021-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I participated in the 5th Brackeys Game Jam, and here's the final version! Tutorial ingame. Here's the itch version!

0 comments

Hello.

Welcome to my first posted creation in PICO-8. If you have any tips or suggestions please feel free to leave them below. Thank you.

Cart #yupsemb-0 | 2021-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

I'm very new to linux and raspberry PIs, but I saw that pico 8 had a raspberry pi option so I thought it'd be fun to try it out. All the instructions I saw online looked pretty plug and play so I extracted the folder to the home directory, but when I double clicked the pico8 file a window would briefly pop up then disappear, and upon trying to run it from the command line I got the error message "segmentation fault". Are there any settings I should change? I am using a Raspberry pi 4 4gb model.
Thank you for any help you have.

1 comment

TL;DR: Do you like your pixels razor-sharp? Do you like PICO-8? Then get this handheld.

Looks

This is the new Game & Watch

This is the Game Boy Micro

And this is the new Waveshare GPM280.

Looks good, don't you think?

And it runs PICO-8 perfectly. The screen, oh, yes the screen. In a word: razor-sharp pixels.

Screen

128x128 is such an oddball resolution. Practically no screens in use can scale that resolution easily, the only exceptions are 1024x768 screens and the iPhone 4's 960x640 retina screen. The solution to this conundrum? A smartphone-like high DPI screen plus an intelligent scaling algorithm. An approach taken by the upcoming Analogue Pocket for example. But that won't run PICO-8.

Take a look. On the bottom is the pixel-perfect iPhone 4 screen (5x integer scale), on the top is the GPM280 screen. Also notice the 45° diagonals, on the RG280V they don't look right because of uneven scaling. Here they are perfect. (Right-click on this picture to enlarge.)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Cart #helloworldmodernised-0 | 2021-02-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So, yesterday my brain exploded when I messed around with the new music filters introduced with 0.2.2, and went on a rampage of updating songs in my local carts to use them where neccesary, and just now I changed the music in the hello.p8 demo. I hope you like it!

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->