BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

0.2.2 map export includes sprite zero, which is nomally invisible on the map

In Ninja Cat, sprite zero is used as the game's icon

Editor view (near top left)

Sprite zero is one of the background sprites in Ninjoe In The Dragon's Lair

Editor view (top left)

1 comment

I made this little game for my beautiful wife Heather for Valentine's Day.

Cart #heathers_hearts-1 | 2021-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I love you, Heather! Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments

In the new v0.2.2, it seems that "tall" mode for print rendering does not render the final row of pixels.
See in this shot the difference between "tall" and "wide"

Haven’t tried it in “non-inverse” mode yet.
Discovered by using Zep’s “pinball everything” example.

5 comments

Cart #math_trainer-8 | 2021-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this because my mental arithmetic got quite slow and I wanted to improve it. I'm sharing it because some others might need it too.

You may use the keyboard for typing. Press space to continue then.
There is also mouse/touch support. To see a cursor you need to activate it in the menu.

1 comment

A small cart I made a while back and just remembered to upload here, testing spirals and palette cycling. It's 241 tokens, and runs at 0.71CPU @ 60fps. Surprisingly cheap, considering the fastest render method was to just draw a bunch of circfills and memcpy half the screen. Could be great for a menu background!

by shy
Cart #hypfx-0 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I put a lot of tech into hiding the drawing and palette limitations of pico 8, so feel free to browse the code. Some of the exploration is also commented out in the cart, for anyone that's interested about alt method efficiency. :)

0 comments

current

hotfix time!! fixed healing and image cover

Cart #brokenhearted-4 | 2021-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

old

this is the nigh final release??? ive added a new enemy, a tutorial screen, and the option to clear your savedata. all future updates will probably be code cleanup. enjoy!

Cart #brokenhearted-2 | 2021-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

soooooo ive completely reworked this game. i changed around how collisions work, added a new enemy, and even a healing item. careful though, if you arent damaged itll take away points. have fun!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #ufoshooter-2 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #puzzle_shooter-0 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A puzzle shooter.

Shoot down waves of enemy ships. Take as much time as you need to work out the next best move, or blaze through it as fast as possible. This game moves as fast as you do.

Controls

Arrows: Move ship
O: Fire plasma bolt
X: Lay mine

Note: You may have only one plasma bolt deployed at once! Take care that you do not waste it.

Version History

A0.1

• Initial Release
  • 4 different kinds of enemies
  • Simple wave system
0 comments

Cart #sinwaveee-0 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

sine wave viewer to study the sin() function

1 comment

Cart #kjs_space_shooter-12 | 2021-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Simple implementation of a bullethell game. Various pickups which improve movement speed, fire rate, special bombs, multifire, and orbs. Comes with a mini boss and end of game boss. Game takes a minute or two to play through with a record of the fastest time you've won.

8 comments

Cart #mobamagoni-0 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi everyone !

I would like to present my first ever solo game project — DISPATCH. Sorry that I completed this in 2019 and I am only posting this here now but I am very proud of this and would very much like more people to play it !

D I S P A T C H
IS A DARK SCIFI THEMED, GENERATIVE SURVIVAL HORROR TEXT-BASED ADVENTURE.

YOU AS THE PLAYER ARE A RUNNER, A SOLO OPERATIVE SENT TO RETRIEVE THE FLIGHT DATA RECORDER BLACKBOX AND GET OUT ALIVE.

Z = SEARCH / PICK UP / INTERACT / START
X = DROP / SWAP
ARROWS MOVE

I want to thank everyone from the P8 community that helped me when I was struggling to get this working, and LazyDevsAcademy for inspiring me to do this in the first place.

3 comments

I'm working on a sort of roguelike, so using procgen, and I've hit a wall where the game crashes with an "out of memory" error.

Now, since this is still all a WIP I haven't been super careful about memory usage, so it's certainly possible... but when I print the result of stat(0) to the screen, the highest it ever goes is 200 before the crash. Thinking there might be some sort of recursion issue, I logged a couple trace() statements and that turned up a dead end...

Since I don't get a stack trace at the crash, and I have nothing else to go on... My question is: how do I go about troubleshooting this & how do I find the source of the problem? I'm not quite ready to share the cart yet, so I'm less looking for a specific solution and more general guidelines. What should I look for, and where?

4 comments

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a little robotic sumo game for a friend after seeing an IRL video about it. I decided to include a 4-player mode, because I like multiplayer games.

I want players to score only if they're the ones who knocked the player out of the arena when play is halted (basically like in Super Smash Bros), but I'm having trouble recording that information.

Here's the relevant code:

--main game loop
for p in all(players) do
 check_hit(p)
 --other stuff
end

function check_hit(p)
 for o in all(players) do
  if circlehit(p,o) and  --Basic collision function.
   p.col~=o.col then     --This line is meant to keep players from hitting themselves.
    p.lasthit=o.col      --Here, "col" is the player's color, and "lasthit" is who last hit them.
  end                    --In another function, I award points to the player whose color

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=87548#p)
3 comments

easy way to center any text on the screen, just copy and paste the hcenter(s)

function _init()

-- table with all the text

texts={

a="center text",

b="easy",

c="compact",

e="simple"

}

end

function _draw()

cls()

print(texts.a,hcenter(texts.a),64,7)

print(texts.b,hcenter(texts.b),70,7)

print(texts.c,hcenter(texts.c),76,7)

print(texts.e,hcenter(texts.e),82,7)

end

function hcenter(s)

-- takes a string

-- gets 64, rests the string

-- lenght and multiplys by 2

return 64-#s*2
end

1 comment

Cart #mb_digdeeper-2 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Dig Deeper

This was made for Global Game Jam 2021 with PIGSquad. The theme was Lost & Found.

Controls

⬅️➡️⬆️⬇️ - Movement
🅾️/❎ - Interact (Z/X or X/C on keyboard!)
⬅️➡️⬇️+❎ - Dig
⬆️ - Jump/Jets

Credits

Everything But Music - @MBoffin
Music - @Gruber (from PICO-8 Tunes Volume 1)

Edit: Forgot to mention, but there is a speedrun mode you can enable/disable from the menu.

Edit 2: Fixed a couple visual errors and balance tweaks. Also made the speedrun mode skip the intro cutscene, and also shows your final time on the very end message screen (after the final cutscene).

5 comments

[sfx]

Just a song I made that has some laser sounds!

0 comments

Cart #treasure_hunt-0 | 2021-02-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #spiralgenerator-6 | 2021-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Some attempts at making generative art pieces using Pico-8.

Since I'm not familiar with Lua, this is also the first attempt to get my head around tables as objects.

2 comments

Cart #everlostplanetdemo-0 | 2021-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Next demo! Pretty quick, I know. I actually made this one before the movement demo, but meh.

Basically, this demonstrates the system I made for storing planets in a compact way.

One sprite is equal to one solar system. The sprite is split up into columns, where every row is one piece of data.

0 - Sprite to use for planet. Once again, graphics not final.
1 - Start of what's known as the intelligence range. This range will limit species on this planet to minimum and maximum intelligence values, which will change the complexity of the species.
2 - End of intelligence range.
3 - Intelligence modifier. This value is in place to bring average intelligence closer to a certain value.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #everlostshipdemo-0 | 2021-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm planning on making a space exploration-game called EverLost and will be releasing demos of planned features. This is the first.

Fly around with arrow keys.
(O) key will switch between controlling ship and controlling pilot inside ship.

Yes, I am aware there are no collisions inside the ship. I'll add that in a later demo.

Please give feedback on movement and controls.

(graphics are not final)

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->