BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Picolumia

Cart #picolumia-0 | 2020-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A demake of Mixolumia. Thanks to the wonderful davemakes for giving me permission to do this!

The goal is to reach level 15 by clearing 450 blocks. If the board fills up you lose.

You clear blocks in 2 ways:

• getting 3 or more blocks of the same color in a straight line
  • putting 4 blocks of the same color together to make a diamond

Controls

⬅️/➡️

• move current quad left or right

⬇️

• hard drop current quad to the bottom of the board

❎ (z/c/n)

• rotate counter clockwise

🅾️ (x/v/m)

• rotate clockwise

Press ❎ + 🅾️ to start the game!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #spaceexploration-0 | 2020-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a work in progress cartridge that I started out with an idea for but it progressed out of hand.
I probably won't make a complete game with this. However I am very pleased with how it looks overall.

The spaceship (though it is kind of difficult to tell without a map - below) is designed manually and compressed into a string using run length encoding.

It is probably useful to no-one but it is here in case I or anyone else might find some use of it

1 comment

I'm trying to create a page for my game on itch.io using the html version.
I've managed to get the game running, my issue is with the canvas size.

Take this game as example (not mine): https://stevepopo.itch.io/fartjumper

You can see the huge border around the player.
No matter the canvas size I choose, the game just not fit that well.
I would like to obtain something more like this at least:

Do you have a solution for this?
Some special canvas size I've not tried yet, or something to change in the html file?
The fastest thing to me seems to just pick the color for the page and change in the html file the background color to fit it.

It's a bit of a shame to have the page "ruined" by those huge borders!

7 comments

Hi! @zep I was wondering if we could have more ways to make the pico-8 code editor more customizable.
I think it would be really nice if the color-highlighting syntax stuff was changeable for what color it would display it as. so if I don't want numbers to be blue I could make them green etc.

this also goes for the background color which is changeable already but it would be nice to have some more options with that. (I really like the dark green background.)

Other options to change color syntax would be nice like function calls() being a different color from vars as well.. (maybe some other stuff too I'm not thinking about..)

Anyways it would be nice if you could make the code editor more customized to how you like to code, and having all of this be some numbers in the config file would be awesome!

For example if the function call stuff by default was still lightgray it would be nice to change that to be different. so even stuff that's the same by default could be changed if people didn't want it that way.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #flanet-2 | 2023-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Introduction

Earth has been invaded and it is up to you to stop this!
With your excellent gardening skills it is up to you to fend off waves of enemies.
Harvest and buy towers to help you on your mission!

I recommend you to play the tutorial before starting with either arcade or endless mode.

Good luck and have fun!

1.1 Balance update

• Added one second more between waves
  • Made the player less slippery
  • Made the cost of the tower more clear with readable numbers
  • Made the shop ui cleaner with less text
  • Towers heal for 0.5 health more
  • Added knockback on enemy when player hit from below
  • Added knockback on towers that shoot on enemy hit

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #snekthing-0 | 2020-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a thing

0 comments

This is Inversion's first demo for the Pico-8, titled "Racerbeam". It was made for the Assembly 2020 Pico-8 Compo.

Cart #fugihiruhu-0 | 2020-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Cart #cutebunnies-0 | 2020-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Uses pumpuli's custom music routines that allows arpeggio among other things :)

The landscape is based on a seamless torus noise-generated heightmap, rendered with the "Comanche"-style voxel rendering, and a lot of tweaking and optimization to make it run nice.

Released at Assembly Online 2020 demoparty Pico-8 compo

Credits:

Code & music - pumpuli
Code - visy
Graphics - ZanaGB

2 comments

Cart #all_star-0 | 2020-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Again based on a song on Famitracker by the user InstantTrain I believe but here's the url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmaHG1aOUDM

4 comments

Cart #podugguwu-3 | 2020-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

02/12/20: I have updated the mod so that 900m is easier. Also, I have tweaked the music a little bit and I have made heavy changes to the levels after 'supreee' said I did nothing and it was very easy. Enjoy the update 1.3!

44 comments

Just tried to mute sound on macOS (in browser, Firefox 81) by pressing Cmd+M. Turns out that:

1) You need to use Ctrl+M even on macOS.
2) Cmd+M does not do anything except pressing and not releasing the X key. That makes games that use the X key unsolvable.

The first one, we can remember. But the second one is a bug to fix.

2 comments

Cart #sotired-0 | 2020-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Hi,

I'm a part time tinkering when it comes to coding - just dabbling now and again, and I wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to speed up the following code please?

I want to draw a screen full of random CHR$ characters, but this method is taking approx 13 seconds to run!

function _init()
cls(1)
b=1
i=1
end

function _update()
i=i+5
print(chr(rnd(128)),i,b,7)
if i>=120 then
b=b+8
i=0
if b>=125 then
stop()
end
end
end

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Thank you

3 comments

Cart #painto_8_lite-2 | 2020-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Have you ever wanted to edit the screen palette of your carts on the fly? Now you can!

Using the secret palette can be hard because you need to go back and forth between the sprite editor and code, and you can't look at which color you're selecting.

Painto-8 Lite enables you to change the palette of your games during gameplay (at the cost of 407 tokens), making the process a lot easier!

Step 1

Copy the code from this cart to the cart of your choice. You have to copy everything below line #40. Paste at the end of your code, preferably in a separate tab.

Step 2

Run your cart. Right-click anywhere on the screen to open the palette selector. Select a color in the first row, and change it by clicking on a color in the second row. You can swap between the normal and hidden palettes on the "pal" tabs.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Playable level demo

Cart #basic_walk-0 | 2020-11-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just music
Cart #teygozoru-0 | 2020-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Super Mario World Athletic Theme (based on a song by ipi on forums.famitracker.com and the original song by Nintendo's Super Mario World).

5 comments

no, I'm not referring to giving the do in for loops and while loops a free pass. rather, I'm referring to the rarely-used naked do block. the primary function of the do block by itself is to arbitrarily introduce a new scope. for example, a code snippet I just wrote:

do
 local yclp=127-17*pizzapower
 clip(104,yclp,127,127)
end

this makes it clear to the reader that I do not intend to use yclp at any other point in the program. In this case, it becomes fairly obvious that I lifted an inline expression to its own line for clarity's sake. however, the do construct here eats up a token, making using it disadvantageous. considering that the do block's only real use has to do with usage of local variables, and the local keyword already has its cost annulled to encourage its use, I think it would make sense if there was a similar exception for the by-itself do block. what do all of you think?

7 comments

Cart #sneeze-0 | 2020-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

Cart #snail-9 | 2021-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Snail!? Who woulda thought!

You play as Snail-Chan, and are tasked with defending the Dream castle! You can run, jump, thwack enemies, and use stars you collect for special powers!

inspired by the musician Snail's House

Finally Finished! Thanks everyone for playing the game.

Oh, and feel free to modify and remix this.
You can change the map to whatever you want. There's a big table at the start of the cart that stores all the level data like enemies and doors, where on the map the level is, and the background and effects the level has.

Make some cool levels!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

29 comments

What I'm thinking is a true crossover of the greatest DIY gaming projects. Have you ever heard of the Pinbox 3000? It's a kit that you customize to create your own compact pinball machine. It's made from cardboard and is completely analog. Last time I checked, the creators did have some videos about possible projects for rigging up an electronic score system.

What I was thinking of is maybe using a Pi to run PICO-8 underneath the playfield. You could map the traditional player 1 and player 2 controller inputs to various targets and bumpers, as well as to the bottom of the table for triggering a ball loss event.

You could hook up your Pi to a TFT to run animations triggered by combos, plus to track scores and balls remaining.

Does this sound like a cool project idea? Has anyone done something similar before?

8 comments

Cart #colourful_life-0 | 2020-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this Conway's Game of Life clone last night as I was procrastinating other work and I think it turned out quite well. The 'innovation' here is that any cell that's on the board more than one 'frame' cycles its colour, making the board a bit more interesting.

Shoutout to this tutorial that helped me with camera and summing issues.

How will I turn this into a real game? I still don't know. But I will try and update you guys when I do :D

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->