BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #pico8tale-4 | 2020-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everybody! I have made a huge update in my game that makes it more playable. Also, I wanted to tell you something about it that could help you. If you press the buttons "left" and "up" or "left" and "down" or "up" or anything like that you will move diagonally. This tip ill help you a lot.

4 comments

hey guys!!! this is my first cartridge that wasnt made following any tutorials, it took a lot of hair-pulling (im not a programmer) but i got it to a state where im cool with releasing a demo!!!

controls are X to fire, square to focus movement

see how high of a score you can get and post it in the comments!!!

at some point i want to make this into a full game with levels and and bosses and everything, but i figured since i have a self-contained demo working i might as well post it

also, any feedback would be appreciated!!!!

Cart #flower_and_flame_demo-0 | 2020-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

I currently own PICO-8, but the website doesn't think it needs to be updated. Anybody know how to fix this?

Yes, I did use inspect to edit out my email.

2 comments

Cart #picomol-0 | 2020-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

New version below, this is the first version

This is a remake of a game I coded mumble years ago with allegro.
It's still very much WIP, I started today and just got the basics working and some rough sprites drawn.

You can switch from joypad to mouse using a flag in the the code - which I would recommend if you can.
I enabled the mouse emulation in this cart, since the manual mentioned problems with mouse support on the bbs.

Issues:

• There is a bug when picking up an atom (it doesn't connect the free electrons to nearby other free electrons)
  • in mouse emulation there is no bounds checking

Todo:

• an actual goal for the game
  • removing molecules when all electrons are bound

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hey,

I have a big list of variables in the format:

a=1
b=2
c=3

etc.

I was wondering what the fastest way is to convert it into this format:

a,b,c=1,2,3

Is there an online tool to do this or something someone can point me to?

P.s. @zep I would like to change my username, is this possible? I have also pinged you an email.

1 comment

Not sure if anyone has posted a smap() yet, but it's reasonably straightforward to implement with tline, so here's mine.

Parameters are:
cx,cy,cw,ch Specify a region in the tile map. Measured in tiles.
sx,sy,sw,sh Region on the screen to map to.
flipx,flipy Whether to flip horizontally and/or vertically.
layers Layer flags. Same as for map().

You need to supply at least the c and s parameters.

function smap(cx,cy,cw,ch,sx,sy,sw,sh,flipx,flipy,layers)

-- negative screen sizes
 if(sw<0)flipx=not flipx sx+=sw
 if(sh<0)flipy=not flipy sy+=sh
 sw,sh=abs(sw),abs(sh)

-- delta
 local dx,dy=cw/sw,ch/sh

-- apply flip
 if flipx then
  cx+=cw
  dx=-dx
 end
 if flipy then
  cy+=ch
  dy=-dy
 end

-- clip
 if(sx<0)cx-=sx*dx sx=0
 if(sy<0)cy-=sy*dy sy=0
 if(sw>128)sw=128
 if(sh>128)sh=128

-- render with tlines
 -- pick direction that results
 -- in fewest tline calls
 if sh<sw then
  -- horizontal lines
  for y=sy,sy+sh-1 do
   tline(sx,y,sx+sw-1,y,cx,cy,dx,0,layers)
   cy+=dy
  end
 else
  -- vertical lines
  for x=sx,sx+sw-1 do
   tline(x,sy,x,sy+sh-1,cx,cy,0,dy,layers)
   cx+=dx
  end	
 end
end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

This is a bug in 0.2.1b, and possibly earlier, causing crashes in BBS carts like Pieces of Cake. After the new add() functionality was added, complex or token-optimized code causes a hard crash with this error:

Note that having a space between these statements, as in "add(...) end", does not solve the parsing problem, but putting a newline between them sometimes does (no idea why). It's also possible that nested parentheses inside the add() call are messing up a regex parser, since this also consistently solves the crash:

local f=fn(sub(str,i,i),i)
add(rs,f)end

As per @Felice, the bug is from an implied nil return from a function, which is apparently different than an explicit "return nil". add(t,nil) works, as should this (since it gets converted to a true nil through assignment):

function fn() end
local f=fn()

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=79749#p)
9 comments

Cart #tutorialsaregreat-0 | 2020-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Hi! I was working on a game and I was trying to make it so that for ex:
[
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 ... would be translated into
01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12 ...
]

and I was wondering how do you "apend" stuff to a string? I might be doing a doofus play but I forget some stuff about PICO-8 since I took a break from it : o

here's the code snipit I'm trying to figure out so far

wavenum+=1

wavestring=tostr(wavenum)
 if (#wavestring==1) add(wavestring,"0")

(was wondering if you can use add() to add to a string maybe..

5 comments

Cart #assembly_3-0 | 2020-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #assembly_1-0 | 2020-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #rndesc_1-0 | 2020-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Random Escape!

You were wrongfully accused and were taken to prison. Shoot your way out to escape! This is the only way!

One of the guards has the key to activate the elevator to the next floor.

The guards will try to stop you at all cost

Meet your enemies:

private
[8x8]

shotgun sergeant
[8x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #yuwekogiwu-0 | 2020-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Opening Note.

For some background, this cart was one of my very first experiences with pico-8 and coding. I started this shortly after @TRASEVOL_DOG 's Tiny Tv Jam. And by god I knew nothing! I had the idea in my mind, but not the skills to produce it. So taking Zep's Collision demo, I set out on my 3 and a half year journey. I can tell you one thing, coding without even knowing how the language works is a frustrating experience. I was, and still am in some ways, a total noob. But I brute forced my way through it, learning from reading through other people's carts, and literally spending days reading the Pico-8 API. I'm proud of what I've achieved, and even though I wanted to complete this before I moved on, I must know when to call it a day.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

This is not a bug per se but still has the potential to break PICO-8.

I was surprised to learn that the most recent version of Buildroot has completely removed the WiringPi package. It says:

> ### BR2_PACKAGE_WIRINGPI:

> The author of wiringpi has deprecated the package, and completely removed the git tree that was serving the sources, with this message:

> Please look for alternatives for wiringPi

Apparently the author has had enough: wiringPi – deprecated…. This has obvious implications for PICO-8 as it currently depends on WiringPi. I hope @zep is aware of this.

2 comments

I have installed pico 8 with picopi on a raspberry pi zero and it runs really nicely, but I can't seem to get a zero delay usb joystick interface to work with it.
It sees a playstation classic (the mini) usb ok and also a generic nes usb controller.

If all else fails, I could just use the nes pcb and pad hack to the joystick box I'm making.
It would be far neater to use the Zero Delay - or, better still - the gpio pins, but I think you need an operating system to access those?

4 comments

Cart #tinygolfpuzzles-1 | 2020-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Jack Nicklaus, step aside! Tom Brinton invites you join him in the putting greens of the mind.

CONTROLS:

• Arrow keys - Move ball(s)
  • [X] - Reset level
  • [Enter] - Menu

HOW to PLAY:

• Get the ball(s) into all the holes in the level
  • Not all balls have to make it into a hole
  • Water and sand traps can be your enemies, or your best friends
  • Rocks can't go into holes, but they can certainly assist you

FEATURES:

• 32 peaceful-yet-puzzling holes
  • Thoughtful SFX and music that can be toggled on and off
  • Golf like you've never experienced it before!
26 comments

Does the random value generation by srand() always produce the same pattern output as long as the same seed value is input?

Does the output pattern change due to a change in the environment?
For example, the upgrades, the amount of code, the timing of the exports, the machine or OS you're running...

So far I haven't been able to verify much and I haven't encountered the fact that the output results have changed, but I am concerned.

Thanks for your help.

2 comments

Cart #picobot-4 | 2021-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Info

Here is my fist Pico-8 game: Pico-Bot. I made this over the last two months in my spare time. It's a sort of horizontal Space Invaders with platforms and more intricate scoring techniques.

How to Play

• Destroy enemies and collect the orbs they drop.
  • The quicker you collect orbs, the higher your score.
  • Collect three large orbs to activate the score multiplier.
  • Tip: you're invincible while jumping between platforms.

Here's a video showing the game being completed to show that it is possible!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Fruititarian Snecko

Cart #fruititariansnecko-0 | 2020-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple snake clone made in an afternoon! Eat many fruits to get big and strong. But don't trip over your own tail or fall off the edge of the world in the process!

Controls

Arrow keys - move

0 comments

I made this a long time ago, and I thought I'd finally share it. It is the song Koi Boy by Jack Stauber, from the album Pop Food. (there was also a music video that came before the album)

Cart #koiboy-0 | 2020-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->