BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

BONK!

The second game by Gooey Studios

Cart #bonk-1 | 2020-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I made my first game in PICO -- a snake game! Biggest mistake: not going with the most intuitive approach to making the game from the start. I had a really crazy system of labeling coordinates on the screen that wound up backfiring, so I had to resort to what is admittedly a much more sensible way of making the game -- I now have tables for x positions and y positions of the snake and use those to keep track of everything. Play it on Itch here https://geojax.itch.io/snakehero and give me some feedback if you have any!!! Thanks!

17 comments

If statements can be hard to navigate once you have a couple nested.

I think it would be helpful to have a keyboard command to jump to different parts of an if statement, that way you could tell which parts belong to which statement.

Also if the different parts belonging to that particular level of the conditional tree were highlighted that would be extremely helpful.

If this is already possible and I somehow missed it, I'm sorry.

Thanks for reading.

0 comments

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Pico-8 community and just downloaded it with the intention to explore some games but to mainly create some myself. I have a good amount of coding experience, although not much experience in the area of art/visual game design (but my intention is to improve in that area).

I'm open to any and all suggestions and/or tips for designing games for Pico-8 and games in general. Really anything can help, even things that may seem obvious to most Pico-8 game-designer "beginners."

Looking forward to hopefully having a game playable sometime in the future!

1 comment

This is the second game my 3-years-old son and I did together.

It started as something simple. A car which moves around. A police car? No, a regular car.

Then we added coins. And made the car pick them! Interactivity! Randomness!

Then we needed a monster. So of course Covid-19 makes an appearance as the bad guy. You "kill it" with the car (which conveniently uses the same code as the coins).

Although to more experienced players the game might feel like it needs some kind of "success screen", my son doesn't seem to miss it at all.

It was also the first time we used the sound editor. Bruno is way too impatient, and I am too inexperienced, to create a whole song for a game just yet.

Fun facts:

• There's exactly 10 instances of the virus because that's the biggest number Bruno is able to count up to so far (reliably).
  • There's exactly 51 coins because "51" is the number Bruno uses when he wants "a very big number".

Controls: arrows to move.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #remember_relive01-0 | 2020-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game I made for MiniJam54:Memories my first game jam.

z to jump, left arrow to choose left option, right arrow to choose right option, and x to toggle X and O blocks

0 comments

Cart #renubegoki-0 | 2020-06-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pick up rubbish and clean the Shibuya Scramble intersection!

Score increases when you pick up trash.
Touching the bomb will reduce your life.
The game is over if you touch the bomb 3 times.

Hachiko will appear above 100!

0 comments

[0x0]

I'm working on a new game and trying some nice advance platform techniques, currently it has support for.

I don't think the codes is good enough to make it work on any game but maybe it helps someone :) would also love some feedback if someone has any.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #jazotuhoju-0 | 2020-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was made for a school project, we were assigned colored shirts and had to support out color in the most creative way possible. I decided to make a quick little game.

0 comments

Finally got my RPI working and somehow it looks okay on my CRT TV. I decided to get the Game Development with Pico-8 by Dylan Bennet printed like a magazine so I can mimic the way programmers and hobbyists were able to program like they were doing BASIC code from a Magazine. It turned out pretty good. Can't wait to work on my 2nd game in a retro style kind of way haha

All I need now is to find someone who can help me install a RPI into a commodore 64 keyboard.. or a keyboard in general

3 comments

Recently got Pico 8 over on itch.io and wanted to find out if I can get it activated on my account here or will the itch version be kept upto date with the main site? thank you

25 comments

Cart #dnpibij-0 | 2020-06-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

The New and Improved Pico-8 API Documentation!

API Documentation

Alternatively, here's the link in text form: https://iiviigames.github.io/pico8-api

Why is it new?

I've been making a version of my own for some time now, just as I have updated the Sublime Text syntax for Pico-8. Since it's been 9 months since the original maintainer has updated it, I thought it was time to share my version. This work is based on the forked original API made by Neko250.

• Clear version number and more intuitively located information
  • New and more specific tabs for content
  • Reformatted & rearranged the existing data
  • Heavily modified aesthetics, now more like PICO-8 itself
  • Many (not all) new functions have been added
  • Clear and concise annotations in code blocks
  • Pico-8 built-ins highlight,just like they would in the IDE

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #snek-2 | 2020-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Any feedback is appreciated!

0 comments

My first blog post (^o^)/

Coming from using LOVE2D, I can't wait to create some magic with Lua and Pico-8 !!!

0 comments

Visual of a beach I made using sines and a few sprites.

by hazy
Cart #beach-0 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #water_view-1 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #newpong-0 | 2020-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Little experiment with different ways of painting a canvas moving pixels.

⬆️⬇️ more/less painters
⬅️➡️ next/prev mode
❎ change palette

Cart #pixelpainters-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #agario-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->