BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #palmixwave01-1 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Palmix Wave Ver0.1

Invaders from the Pamix system are attacking the Earth! Clear the menace aboard the Space Fighter!

Palmix Wave is a vertical shmup with a set play time of 2 minutes (A la caravan game mode). In the game you will encounter many types of enemies included a miniboss and a final boss. You will also find powerups that will make the space ship faster and shoot more bullets. These powerups will also give you a brief invencibility time.

This is also like my formally first try (like no sfx or music) of a completed game in Pico8. I began with a shmup tutorial but in midway I wanted to try the ECS game programming pattern. With a quick search this ECS Pico8 ECS engine came up https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=30039. After a few tries I finally got the pattern and I liked it very much (code is not that pretty). Hope you like it!

2 comments

A while back I posted an implementation of an in-place dual-pivot quicksort, which is the default sort algorithm most standard libraries offer these days. I've since tweaked it a bit to save a few tokens, and today I wrote up a sample cart that does some primitive testing as an example of usage.

This includes both a general 221-token qsort(), which can accept a custom comparator function (defaults to a less-than comparator for ascending order), and a tweaked 199-token iqsort(), which inlines the comparisons as simple "<" operators, producing a smaller and faster sort in return for the sort order and index not being customizable.

See tab 0's header comment for more details.

(Side note: I realized while implementing comparators that you could sneak in shuffle functionality just by sorting with a random coin-flip comparator. Handy.)

Edit: WARNING! Do NOT grab the function from the "Code" flyout on the embedded cart below! There is a bug on the BBS right now that deletes a "<" comparison! Click the "Cart" button to download the .p8.png version!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #axnjaxn_ajml-2 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I couldn't resist making a cursed PICO-8 cart after someone sent me the What's Your Alex Jones Conspiracy Theory post on reddit by /u/dreggmuffin.

Given the subject matter "mad libs" is almost a double entendre.

(Press z/O button or x/X button to get a new conspiracy theory that you'll use to exploit the patriotism of your listeners!)

2 comments

Cart #pullfrog-3 | 2020-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play on Itch

Cactus blocks are falling for some reason. You, a little frog named frog, have to jump and dodge out of their way. Set them up in lines in order to clear them off of your land.

-Pull them with your tongue while they're green and falling.

-Turn them into dust once they're dry, yellow, and set on the ground.

Just be careful using that tongue of yours. Getting squished is easier than you think.

-Raise your acrobatics game by upgrading your jump height and tongue length every time you clear 3 lines.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

25 comments

On 0.2.1, trying to INSTALL_GAMES with 0.2.1 gives me this error.

INSTALL_DEMOS seems to work fine, though.

Might this be connected to the 0.2.1 release notes saying:
"Fixed: Crash when INSTALL_GAMES / INSTALL_DEMOS without a writeable disk"?

Platform: macOS Catalina, 10.15.5

1 comment

I'm working on a big project for PICO8.

Around the end of 2018, I learned about the scalability of multi-carting and continued to research and create it to this day.

We were able to give each of the four carts a role, rather than just being a data bank .

Cart 1: Title/Ending/3D dungeon scene
Cart 2: Platformer Scene
Cart 3: Cooking Scene
Cart 4: World Map Scene/Important Item Riddle Solving Operation

Because of these many factors, an hour or more of play is a must.
Data saves are automatic.
(Position when resume, growth and LIFE, possessions, time, status of NPCs helped, farmland, important items, veggies, history of veggies removed, history of enemies removed, and other things for cart-to-cart interaction).

Most of the game system is complete. I'm currently assembling the map for the later areas.

If anyone is planning an original, reasonably large game, PICO8 will be used as a prototype. It looks like they will progress the production and do the actual product in another game engine. I've seen some of those opinions. (Not my project.)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hey, I decided to make a batch script to automate compiling PICO-8 cartridges into .p8.png, binary, and HTML. Instructions are in the batch file and there's an example using Celeste included.

https://gist.github.com/FayneAldan/2ded1a13af0e2676ec259a12a702ae96

0 comments

Cart #danewumubu-0 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As of 0.2.1, mouse handling does not seem to work in HTML exports, though touch controls (and emulated touch controls with chrome dev tools) seem to be working.. It's fine in pico-8 and bin exports though, and in the BBS.

2 comments

Cart #bururhopi-0 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple typewriter style text box, like we see in many RPGs and Adventure games.

I was looking for examples of text boxes like these and only found complex and robust examples. They are excellent! But I thought it would be useful to have a simpler more "noob friendly" system.

The code is very commented, so anyone should be able to follow along and understand what it is doing. Also, this system is very simple but versatile. It can easily be expanded or customized if you know what you are doing.

6 comments

After updating to 0.2.1, exports of my cart are failing to load. I've deleted just about everything from it to make a minimal reproduction here, but I have no idea what is going on.

For both HTML and bin exports, the pico-8 splash appears, and it hangs after "booting cartridge"

In the included cart, both the comment at the bottom and the init method are required. Deleting the init method, or any more from the comment will allow the cart to load. O_o

Cart #bizehapowe-0 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Hi All! PICO-8 0.2.1b is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP. This update started as a continuation of 0.2.0 bug-fixing work, but I also relaxed my position on API minimalism just enough to add some new features :D

UPDATE: 0.2.1b is now live and fixes the print() bug, and a few other things. See the changelog below for details.

Ovals

You can draw ovals (technically, ellipses) both when running a cartridge, and when using the shape tools in the graphics/map editors. Ovals are specified by their boundary rectangle, and follow the usual draw state rules.

pattern={[0]=
…,∧,â–‘,⧗,â–¤,✽,★,✽,
ˇ,░,▤,♪,░,✽,★,☉,
â–‘,â–¤,♪,â–‘,✽,★,☉,…,
∧,â–‘,⧗,â–¤,✽,★,✽,★
}

function _draw()
 cls(1)
 for i=0,31/32,1/32 do
  local x=64+cos(i+t()/8)*48
  local y=64+sin(i+t()/8)*44
  local w=8+cos(i*2+t()/2)*6
  local h=8+sin(i*3+t()/2)*6

fillp(pattern[i*32])
  ovalfill(x-w,y-h,x+w,y+h,
   (i*32)%8+8)

end
 print("pico-8 0.2.1",40,62,13)
end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

In the web player here on the BBS which currently says it's version 0.2.1, it appears print() now displays numbers as hex:

EDIT: oh wow I didn't realize v0.2.1 was out for real and not just in the BBS web version; I downloaded it and tried running the same cart (#xmasfish) and figured out how to reproduce it so I have corrected the title and description since my first report wrongly said the issue was with tostr()

as you can see here, it only displays as hex when x,y arguments are given to print():

2 comments

Cart #zombie_rush-1 | 2020-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game I made with my 6 year old son in a few hours. He came up with game world, mechanics, and contributed art. I did the coding and music.

The goal is simple: wielding only your trusty sword, survive the zombie horde!

Use Z and X to jump/attack. Press Enter and reset cart to start over.

2 comments

see below for changes

I got my hands finally on Pico-8 a few weeks back and after doing a couple of examples, I set about making my own game to help learn some more about coding in Pico-8. So here it is, my firs very shoddy attempt a a game in Pico-8.

It is a rather simplistic game, you just have to survive as long as you can. The code in there could be much better but it was all a learning curve and I am more impressed that I got all of this built within a week and a half of just coding away at night time after finishing work.

Instructions on the opening screen allow you only at that point to change the controls of the tank.

Cart #retaliation-1 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V1.1 (04-07-20) Took advice and made changes to how SFX and music are played, also added a few extra effects once your score goes above 70 and also made a change to the difficulty to make it slightly easier later on.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hi everyone,

I made a couple of videos on making Pong in Pico 8 if anyone's interested.

As I mention in the video I don't consider this to be a tutorial really, since I'm new to Pico 8 and programming as a whole but it'd be great to get some feedback!

0 comments

Got a https://www.sparkfun.com/products/16301 phat for raspberry pi.
Running pico8 on it is fine.

I want to use some custom gameinputs (joystick and button a,b on the phat) using uinput from linux.
Using a controller.c for reading i2c packages and generating uinput events KEY_C,X,LEFT,RIGHT,UP,DOWN.

<b>Got a problem with KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT:

• problem is that in the linux command line KEY_LEFT works fine.
  • If i start pico8 (console or splore) the KEY_LEFT doesn't work.
    </b>

Any ideas?

1 comment

Cart #tinier_mondrian-0 | 2020-07-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press Z to generate a brand new modern art masterpiece. Generated works are indistinguishable from an original Mondrian!

Been working on binary space partitioning for PCG and this was the simplest thing to get working. Feeling cute, might tweetify later.

UPDATE: Totally tweetified down to 263 chars by the insane brain of Midnight Dysktra.

0 comments

Hi! The title says it all!

I've recently been looking to get into Pico8. There's so much tutorials out there and so much to consider. I have no idea where to start! My second worry is that I have no coding experience at all. With all that being said, it's why I felt like asking out from the community itself!

So, where is the best place to get started using pico8 for the first time and what should I consider going in?

Thanks!

4 comments

Cart #hungrybird-0 | 2020-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first game for PICO-8 and one of my first playable games ever, developed using code from JALECKO's Flappy.

This is a reverse Flappy Bird where you have to eat to keep flying. Thanks to Megan Williams for the concept and advice.

Features:

• Two whole birds!
  • Realistic biomechanics (well, sort of)
  • Moving prey
  • Original art
  • Original arrangements of music by Rammstein, Trey Williams, and Judas Priest
4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->