BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Ramps

by Mot
Cart #mot_ramps-21 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Ramps! A 3D racer inspired by Powerdrift, Stunt Car Racer, Hard Drivin'.

Choose from 8 varied race tracks, and overtake the other drivers in 5 laps to win.
As well as racing you'll need to navigate jumps, roller-coaster like ramps and occasionally even drive upside down.

Includes 3 difficulty levels, plus a practice mode for getting the feel of the tracks.

This all started as an experiment to see how well Pico-8 could render a Powerdrift-like scaled sprite racetrack (pretty well, as it turns out). Then it was about trying to implement a driving model that could handle the ramps, jumps and loops. And finally wrapping it up into a somewhat finished game.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

18 comments

Visual of a beach I made using sines and a few sprites.

by hazy
Cart #beach-0 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #water_view-1 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #mozle_2-0 | 2024-06-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

:: Changelog v2::

• Fixed typo preventing fizzles from spawning
  • Added more animations
  • Changed some text to be clear
  • Still missing : proper game over screen, effects of combining elements

:: Changelog v1.1::

• Fixed screen transitions
  • Added some more animations
  • Fizzles now spawn continuously until you open the exit portal to prevent getting stuck

You are Mozle, a tiny astronaut who crashed on a mysterious world with mirrors and neverending roads !
Gather Fizzles and combine Elements to power your ship (and get points) and get back home !

Go through the different portals to catch Fizzles and collect their energy bubbles to open exit portals, collect elements top open the exit, collect time and points ! Hurry, because time is unstable in this world !

Press O (x on your keyboard) to jump !
Press X (c on your keyboard )and down to fall through platforms !
Press up in front of the spaceship to combine elements you found !

The code is pretty messy, it's missing a proper ending and some features I couldn't cram in (end boss battle, cutscene intro, gameover screen), but I hope you'll find it enjoyable.

PS: if someone with proper musical skills could help me it would be greatly appreciated !

9 comments

I made a (very simplified) clone of the mobile app Daddy Long Legs. Here is that!

Cart #walker-0 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

v2 (shows high score on the ground to better show if you have passed your highscore)
Cart #walkerv2-0 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

v3 (sound)
Cart #walkerv3-0 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #yipagatotu-0 | 2020-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Unfinished!

Game is turn based. Player controls ships with red/white flag and fights against pirates!

Each ship can do only one turn and one action (fire) per turn.

Ship will move only if it is aligned with wind direction.

Controls:

Select ship with arrow keys

X to fire
Z + Left arrow to turn left
Z + Right arrow to turn right

2 comments

Cart #game_and_timer_ball-2 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The game & watch series is pretty iconic. So this my own take on the first game ball.

Left/Right - Move arms
Z - start Game A
X - start Game B
press and hold z or x - to see your high score.
To play you must stop the balls dropping to the floor. the more score
you gain the faster the balls will drop.

4 comments

looking for some help on importing sprite sheet. i am using Gimp and Inkscape to create my artwork. I am using RBG number to insure i have correct colors for pico 8. exported sprite sheet and importing 128x128. However, when i import into Pico 8 result is not as expected. first pic is my art in gimp. Second pic is Pico8 after import of that art.

0 comments

Cart #newpong-0 | 2020-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

In 60fps carts, using "." to advance a frame will skip a frame and advance 2 frames instead.

n=0

function _update60()
 n+=1
end

function _draw()
 cls()
 ?n,30,0
end

To reproduce, run the code above, press ESC, and advance with ".".

If you instead put "n+=1" in the _DRAW() function though, it will not skip, essentially behaving like a 60fps cart running at 30fps:

n=0
m=0

function _update60()
 n+=1
end

function _draw()
 m+=1
 cls()
 ?"update: "..n.."\ndraw: "..m,30,0
end
2 comments

Cart #uxxaki__labirint-0 | 2020-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #painting-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Just wanted to share my %95 complete Pong game in order to get some feedback. The main thing I'd like to change is make the ball run faster after every hit, and add some rudimentary AI for a single player mode.

2 comments

Hi! It would be convenient to have an option in the cart submenu to save a file from BSS to local carts, for systems that are not always connected.

For the carts that only have numerical IDs or generated names, it would be great to have a new RENAME command in the console :)

18 comments

Little experiment with different ways of painting a canvas moving pixels.

⬆️⬇️ more/less painters
⬅️➡️ next/prev mode
❎ change palette

Cart #pixelpainters-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #the_state_of_things_0-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this thing really pushes the CPU, it's a bit laggy on web

1 comment

So this is probably going to be a long, weird post, and is inspired by this post by @Mot a few weeks ago. I kind of dislike the way that Pico-8's cartridge RAM and Lua RAM exist in different worlds, and how everyone eventually uses huge strings to store data on the Lua side, when they run out of token space. It's fine to do that, and in fact I love that the option exists, but is it really a good default way for people to bypass the Pico-8 limitations? I have an idea I want to float to the community about this.

My proposal is to add two functions to the API, that convert between a Lua table and a cartridge bitstream. Using them to get your token count down would be a pre-publishing task, but it could be automated so that you only have to comment out the table to publish your game:

table = { true, x=15.5, [0]="yes", {"why?"}={"because","lua","supports","this","too"} }
len = luastore(0x0,table

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=77321#p)
0 comments

Not a bug but a feature request since Zep is still adding features on 0.2.0j. It would be great if the drawing tool would show a preview of the pixel you are about to draw as the cursor moves into the canvas. Here is a gif of what I mean:

This is the default setting in programs like Aseprite. It helps judging the scale and placement of pixels especially when the canvas is blank. I'm so used to it from Aseprite and I really miss this when I jump into Pico-8 to touch up things.

4 comments

Heya, I'm trying to add a scrolling level to my game but finding difficulty implementing it. Got some code (see below) from a kind fellow user but when I put it within the question referring to the fourth level function ( 'if _FOUR() then' in the window 0 code), nothing happened. Is there anything I'm missing?

code:
cam.x = cam.x + time()
camera(cam.x,cam.y)

Cart #hpofidafi-0 | 2020-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #agario-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->