BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Okay, comment on what color flower you like best. please only comment once. This is for Great Heroic Meadow Adventure. YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE OF THESE

Blue Flowers:

Purple Flowers:

Pink Flowers:

Purple and Blue Flowers:

Pink and Blue Flowers:

Purple and Pink Flowers:

Thanks!

Other: ___

these are the votes:

Blue: 0%
Purple: 0%
Pink: 0%
Purple and Blue: 50% @ExtrovertPlatypus
Pink and Blue: 50% @jmsnsh
Purple and Pink: 0%

Currently the top flowers are pink and blue 50% and purple and blue 50%

2 comments

Cart #happybirthdaygiorgiomoroder-1 | 2020-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My humble and sub-par homage to the legendary musician Giorgio Moroder, because yesterday he turned 80 years old.
Quite cr*p and obviously not as good as his music by a LOOOOOONG shot, so it is a fortune that he will probably won't ever hear this rendition of his famous song "Chase", from the original soundtrack of the movie "Midnight express" ^_____^; (he won an oscar for that score, first time ever a synthesized song won an academy award, years before Vangelis)

1 comment

So I know how to make actors and objects appear at different times but how do I make them appear after something happens for example:
An enemy gets defeated. How do I make it drop, say, a laser powerup?
The player steps on a button. How do I change the floor from water to jelly?
The player defeats an actor. How do I make chocolate appear?
I could go on forever.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

4 comments

Cart #tumbleblox_2_0-0 | 2020-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've finished all the levels on my game! I'm planning on maybe making an itch.io version with more levels, but I'm not sure yet. There won't be many more updates from here unless there are any bugs in the game. Have fun!

0 comments

Cart #portalpuzzle-1 | 2020-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Hello together

I just started with pico8, lua and game-programming. I am trying to make a small fighting game and have a question concering animations. I want the player-sprite to be idle and if i click a button it should respond instantly and play an animation. Is there a way I could write the function "punching" with less code? Sprite Number 17, 18 and 19 are the sprites for a punching animation. The function first checks if the current sprite is between 17 or 19...if not it sets it to 17 (start of the punching animation)...then it iterats through the animation and checks again if the sprite is greater then 19 to set it back to 17. I have the feeling I have to much code in it...especially that I check twice if player.sp is greater then 19. Is there a more efficient way? Thanks in advance :)

function _init()
    player={
        sp=1,
        x=59,
        y=59,
        anim=0,
        state="idle",
        flp=false,
    }
end

function _update()

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=75555#p)
7 comments

Cart #brick_smash1-0 | 2019-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

The pico8 manual states this about SFX instruments:

"SFX instruments are only retriggered when the pitch changes, or the previous note
has zero volume. This is useful for instruments that change more slowly over time.
For example: a bell that gradually fades out. To invert this behaviour, effect 3
(normally 'drop') can be used when triggering the note. All other effect values have
their usual meaning when triggering SFX instruments."

However it seems that adjacent notes (with the same SFX instrument and with the same pitch and non-zero volume) do cause the instrument to be retriggered when the second note is at index zero in a looping sequence. Also, setting the second note's effect to 3 inverts the behavior and the instrument is continued rather than retriggered, but only when the second note is at index zero.

The attached .p8 cart demonstrates this. It has these SFXs:
0: the SFX instrument
1: pattern looping from 0 to 8, with no effect on the note at index 0. The SFX instrument is retriggered at index 0.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #lemur_world-0 | 2020-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm getting back into P8 so I can help my bored kid explore coding again.
This platformer engine can be something we can work on together.
Thanks for looking!

1 comment

Cart #justjelly-0 | 2020-04-28 | Embed ▽ | No License

Just Jelly.

0 comments

I'm uploading my first PICO-8 game that I made in the GMTK Game Jam a couple of years ago. The theme was "Genre without Feature", so I created a platformer with no direct control over the character. Instead, you have to teach it what to do by rewarding or punishing it's actions. It has a few issues, but mostly I'm very proud of it. Enjoy!

P.S. An important thing to note is that the parrot remembers what it's learnt after it dies. This is important for getting past some obstacles!

Cart #pavsparrot-0 | 2020-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Been getting interested in neural networks and machine learning lately and recently discovered this:https://github.com/vbrydik/pico-nn

On the GitHub page it says to "Just copy code from here and use it in pico-8 or other lua app."

I know I can't just copy it into a p8 cart because the code it references isn't in my cart.

What would be the correct way to implement this?

2 comments

Cart #submarine-3 | 2021-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a beta release.
Work in progress.

2 comments

This is Heli_Baby.

I found PICO-8 about 2 days ago and have been messing around with it. So for i am really enjoying it. I found Dylan Bennets game Dev with PICO-8 book online and started messing around it.

In the book you make a game called "Cave diver", i really liked the look of it so i had ago at remaking an old classic flash game i used to play at school.

I will be carrying on with Dylan's resources as i think the way he explains everything is perfect, enough for you to learn the ropes but also allowing you to take your own approach.

Cart #rerezobgu-0 | 2020-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

[sfx]

Finally getting around to learning music on the PICO-8.

This is my initial composition for my Juggler Defender game (rndgame generated name...):

1 comment

Cart #avalanche_02-0 | 2020-05-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Version 0.2 - Now has definite fail state with timer stop, and recolored graphics

Avalanche!

You are a ground-based defense drone at a top-secret research base inexplicably located by a mountain prone to avalanches. When a tidal wave of snow and ice rushes toward you, you must use your cannon to vaporize it, keeping it at bay for as long as possible so the base staff can get to safety. How long can you hold out?

Controls:
L/R------Move drone
X--------Fire cannon

This is the unintended result of trying to cram a minimalistic space invaders clone into 280 characters. I couldn't figure out how to fit code for individual enemies, but an advancing amorphous mass was just doable. Hopefully it turned out alright on its own terms, and I welcome any feedback or criticism. Warning, though, this can get a bit nerve-wracking. o_O

0 comments

Cart #lightingdemothing-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is just a weird lighting platformer thing I made a while ago, not much of a game.

5 comments

Cart #piwogifafa-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a early attempt to get some of the drifting feeling right x is for the handbrake.
dev log:
In the future there will hopefully be aspects to the game,

drifting through tunnels (off the map) to get seeds from the cosmos, then having a section of the city which you replant will seed that grow into flowers. once you have finished growing a section of the city. An arrow directs you to a shiny orb that lets you draw the next flower (16x16), which will then be planted in the next city district which appears. the goal of the game is to draw over the whole map.

Cart #bopuditiju-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #cavediver-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->