BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #upsidedown-0 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey folks, I'm very new here! I recently discovered Pico-8, having tinkered with coding at various points in life (from ZX Spectrum and Atari ST, to C, C++ and Gamemaker Studio). I love Pico-8's idea of keeping things small and not too overwhelming.

Anyway, I've had an idea for a Stranger Things-inspired game. A platformer where your hero must 'flip' back and forth from the top-half of the screen, to the mirrored (upside-down) world on the bottom-half, in order to progress.

I've been working on the menu screen first of all. The reflected text is displayed using sprite flipping and palette swapping to save on sprites.

I'd love to have the reflected text wave slightly and thought a sinus process might do this?? However I have no idea how to achieve this, so any pointers would be gratefully received.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #niyotamofo-0 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

I am starting with Pico-8 and I thought the best thing when learning a new technology is trying to emulate things that have been already done. This time I made the classic game Snake. When game core was functional, I decided to add new things which, I think, are fun like turrets shooting at you and powerups to speedup gameplay like a bomb to destroy bullets and dead limbs and a tongue for eating apples faster. Also, if the Snake eats a turret or a dead limb, is game over too!

I hope you have fun for a little bit!

Cart #yodikomija-1 | 2019-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Tried to replicate the guardian's laser attack animation from Zelda Breath of the Wild. It is simpler and less "overwhelming" than Zelda's gfx, but I had a lot of fun making it!

Controls:

Player 1 -> Link (Arrow keys)
Player 2 -> Guardian (S,E,D,F)

Cart #mewohapj-0 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #topo_falso_0-0 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

-= Topo Falso =-

Originally inspired by "Topo Europe" from Radarsoft, back in the 80's, I present you "Topo Falso", a fake topography learning experience! Navigate your chopper to your targets and earn points. Learning topography has never been this fun even tough it will render completely useless otherwise! With 12 fake province capitals, 23 fake cities and 75 fake villages to memorise, there's plenty challenge available in this game!

Controls:
In menu
Up and Down to navigate
X to select the highlighted option

In game
Left, Right, Up and Down to navigate your chopper
O to go back to the menu

Features:

• Learn how to learn topography!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

A Space Invaders Clone

Cart #korushobe-1 | 2019-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My hope is to code Space Invaders and have it behave and/or look as similar as possible to the original.

Older versions:

Update 0.1.2:

• Army class now moves and all the aliens are drawn in relation to it.
  • Alternate sprite is now linked to movement of army.

Cart #korushobe-0 | 2019-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 0.1.1:

• Added army "class" which is a "surprise tool that will help us later".
  • Modified alien "class".

Cart #witmagiga-0 | 2019-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 0.1:

• Simple animated invaders.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #yorawubeja-1 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Thanks @Jerkstore for letting me know. Can't believe I didn't see that myself!

Cart #yorawubeja-0 | 2019-07-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Fairly straight forward.
I'm re-uploading this because I accidentally deleted the original post.
This is some old work and I don't really like the code, but it's playable.
Have fun! Criticism encouraged!

0 comments

🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

This is Cow Clicker! A game about milking cows!

Milk your cow and sell the gallons to earn yourself an honest living. Buy maids to get a helping hand.

If you need to take a break from milking, consider pausing the game to give your maids a rest too.
They may not appreciate seeing the farmer slack off all day while they do all the work. 🐐

350 squirts of milk to a gallon (Googled it). There are a few strategies you can choose as you get into the game, but the end is quite a ways out no matter what. Restarting the game will undo all of your progress. Nobody said farming was easy. 🌾 Icons will appear in the menu panels as you are able to use them.

Press Z or C to quickly return back to the 'cow' window.

Heavily inspired by Cookie Clicker, with a few twists on the typical formula.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

@zep
A couple of devs are investing into multicart games (like 5 or more data carts).
We are all put back by the artificial loading times (eg minutes)

Would it be possible for the fat client to either ignore load time throttling, or only activat throttling for the published version?
I want the multicart multiverse, not loading screens ;)

10 comments

i'm in kind of a jam, pun intended.

i've made some hardware for my team's pico game for the portland indie game squad summer slow jam which concludes this evening. the issue is, it's an 8-player game requiring 8 controllers. i assumed (which is of course why i'm here) that i could configure one joystick for multiple players since they need only three buttons each, but that doesn't seem to be an option supported in any way by pico-8 or otherwise.

worst case scenario i can disassemble one of my other controllers and change the button usage in the program to get six players on but that's a much rougher road than i had hoped for.

any bright ideas would be deeply appreciated. thanks in advance

2 comments

Hi, I just released Depicofier, which converts PICO-8's syntax to regular Lua syntax. I looked at a couple existing solutions but they didn't work for me, so I made this. It's open source under the MIT license on Github.

It should be feature complete, but if I missed anything please let me know.

Depicofier

Converts/translates PICO-8 style Lua syntax to standard clean Lua syntax. Download the latest release here.

This tool uses a publicly available and well-tested Lua language grammar to parse PICO-8 source code, so that any enhanced or special syntax or shorthand will only be converted where it should be.

If you like this tool please consider kicking me a dollar on Patreon.

Usage

Depicofier.exe [inFile] [outFile]

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=66019#p)
4 comments

Nothing I try seems very active. I went through...slack...twitter.....here....stack exchange. And the time delay between getting any answers, if any, is excruciatingly ineffective. Are there more active communities I could get help from that I haven't tried?

Here and there I have little questions I need help with. Mainly syntax related, I don't need somsone to go through ALL my code or anything just 1 liners here and there. For small questions while writing your code, what is the best way to get answers asap? Was hoping for a chatbox or irs or something.

1 comment

Cart #demon_castle-1 | 2020-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Demon Castle is a Castlevania-style game for PICO-8

Story

An evil sorcerer is trying to summon an ancient demon into the world. You are the only one who can travel to the sorcerer’s castle and prevent him from completing the summoning. Best of luck.

Controls

At the title screen, use the arrow keys to select your difficulty, then press the Z or X key to start the game.
Use the arrow keys to move, and press up or down to start climbing stairs.
Use the Z key to jump and the X key to attack with your whip.

If you prefer, you can use the C and X keys instead of Z and X.

Items

Heart Crystal

[ Continue Reading.. ]

45 comments

Cart #dettd_005-0 | 2019-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is the fifth version of my transport tycoon demake, you cant do any transporting yet, but I figured you maybe be able to provide some feedback already, cheers.

1 comment

I'm having a really hard time with initiating if statements using multiple booleans. It seems I initiate one but then it stays and I can't figure out how to write them properly if I'm dealing with multiple.

In this example I'm trying to set 3 gamescreens with a timer for the 2nd.
The default screen is titlescreen; the initated one on button press is titlescreen1; and then i want gamescreen to happen automatically when the timer finishes.

Problem is gamescreen doesn't initiate and I don't understand why.

countdown=5
time_diff=0
titlescreen=true
titlescreen1=false
gamescreen=false

function _init()
end

function time_lapse()
if time() - time_diff > 1 and countdown > 0 then
countdown-=1
time_diff=time()
end
end

function _update()
if btn(4) then titlescreen1=true end
if titlescreen1==true then time_lapse()
if countdown==0 then gamescreen=true end
elseif gamescreen==true then
end
end

function _draw()
cls()
print("one is happening",33,33,14)
if titlescreen1==true then cls() print(countdown,15,15,14)
elseif gamescreen==true then
cls()
print("gamescreen is active",33,33,14)
end
end

1 comment

Using the cough undocumented cough stat(102) from a game hosted on itch.io, I got back:

v6p9d9t4.ssl.hwcdn.net

This is indeed the url of the iframe (which doesn't help).
A more correct behavior would be to report the parent page url, with the benefits of:

• having a predictable outcome
  • actually preventing rogue hosting (somehow...)

Note: Looking at the HTML, I see that url is retrieved from:

var str = window.location.hostname;

Using that alternate code would fix the bug:

var str = (parent !== window) ? document.referrer : document.location;
1 comment

Cart #dzlovesjw-0 | 2019-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Demozoo <3 Janeway - a demoscene intro presented at Nordlicht 2019 to announce the collaboration between Demozoo and Janeway, two of the biggest databases of demoscene releases.

0 comments

Hello there!

I've been dabbling in pico-8 for about 2 years now, I've only just got into proper development with it these past few months though. I'm wondering if there might be a way to get URL parameters in the browser to use in the cartridge?

I've managed to compress my level design to a string of about 25 characters, and I thought it would be really cool for players to easily share their levels by simply copying the URL. Of course I would need to host the cartridge on my own site, perhaps there's a way to run the cartridge with parameters using JavaScript?

2 comments

Cart #nowowibibi-0 | 2019-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Arrow Keys to Move
Z to Dash

Avoid the pink obstacles that come to the beat!

This project is based one of my favorite games ever, Just Shapes and Beats (long for JSAB)

Thx to Robby Dugauay for music

To Do List:
-Death Animation
-Progress Bar
-Goal
-Particles
-Restart Button

Please give me constructive criticism if you can.

6 comments

Basic movement can be facilitated through:
if btn(0) then x-=1 end

But when I add sfx:

if btn(0) then x-=1 and sfx(0) end

It always generates an error as soon as that button 0 is pressed. Why is that? If x then y and z end. Is there something wrong with that syntax? Or is it related to sfx not working in this way?

And why is it when I clarify with brackets it doesn't even run!? Am I clarifying that my syntax is wrong before teh game starts? That's funny.
i.e.
if btn(0) then (x-=1 and sfx(0)) end

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->