BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I've used Gamemaker in the past to make games and I have experience coding. But for some reason, Pico-8 is intimidating. I bought it to make a game for my wife's birthday and i'm terrified to start. I don't know why. I think I was expecting it to be easier? I didn't expect i'd have to code the game from scratch and instead was hoping for a drag and drop vibe like unity of game maker. How do I get over this initial fear?

2 comments

Cart #picobreakout452-0 | 2019-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

When saving to .p8.png, PICO-8 flattens the #include directives. But it does not do that with the HTML exports, resulting in broken exports:

Is there an option I may be missing?

6 comments

Cart #zekekasiyo-0 | 2019-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #wetodatina-0 | 2019-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Concours retro gaming pico-8

Sophia-Invaders

Sophia-Antipolis est aujourd'hui envahie par les OVNI !!

Aidez-nous à éliminer les OVNI !!

Si vous ne parvenez pas à sauver notre ville, ce sont des années de technologie qui seront perdues...

Faites vite, il ne reste plus beaucoup de temps !

0 comments

I was working at "School Mayhem 2" and saw in the "Pickups" folder cool items like grenade a twirlgun. So I tried to use them and published the game. It was all looking fine but when I tried the game in the browser (Firefox Quantum), I picked up the grenade launcher and when I pressed X nothing happened. I think it's kind of weird bug because the weapon works fine in the editor. Thinking it was just an issue of the grenade launcher I removed it and added the twirlgun. This weapon also worked in the editor but not in the web browser. I don't know what to do. I hope @zep fixes this issue.

P.S.: sorry for eventual bad English

1 comment

Cart #pico8spaceman-0 | 2019-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

my very first attempt to make a video game. the yellow rectangle at the end will restart the game

the meteors somewhat randomized in ranges and their sprites as well

my plan to add a bit more fidelity later, particles, sound effects, start and end screens

0 comments

Cart #dancertweetcart-1 | 2019-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Slowly making a compilation of some of the tweetcarts I've done in the past. It will probably take more than one cart but we'll see.

Controls:

• left/right - cycle to the next tweetcart
  • up - jump to random tweetcart
  • down - reset timer
  • hold z - fast timer
  • hold x - reverse timer

Extra Controls (second controller):

• s/f - cycle screen mirror modes

Update 5/7/2019 - Added 12 more tweetcarts

1 comment

Cart #dafupowis-0 | 2019-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Super simple.

1 comment

Cart #ix_neontunnel-0 | 2019-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls
Menu: Z to start game, X to disable/enable flashing (accessibility - epilepsy).
Game: UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to catch a shape if it is close enough to that side
Game over: X to restart.

Mechanics
Shapes flow down the neon tunnel on all four sides - up, down, left, and right. All the player has to do is catch them after they get close enough. Luckily it shows when they are close enough by switching the shape and colour from pink squares to slightly rotated blue squares. If any of them make it offscreen, you lose.

Commentary
It's been a busy month! Work has been wild and I uhh got married! This was developed in a couple of hours on the 29th and 30th, bleeding over a little into the 1st. But I'm pretty happy with it! It lets you get into a decent flow state, or at least feels that way to me. Tapping the arrow keys feels really good once you internalise the mapping of stuff on the screen to the placement of your fingers. Don't really have much else to say except I'm glad I made a small effort to provide a hopefully epilepsy-safe version, as well as making visual changes that are not limited to colour for game mechanics (hopefully helpful for anyone with colour differentiation issues).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #badwemoji-0 | 2019-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #byte3-0 | 2019-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a pico8 remake of 3BYTEENKODER by increpare

You can find the original game here : https://games.increpare.com/3BYTE/

3 comments

Looking to use Pico-8 with my first year game dev students. However, they usually start in groups of two to six (I let them choose who to work with for their first game), using GitHub issues to document their progress, and source code control (again via GitHub) to coordinate collaborative development. How good is Pico-8's .p8 format to merges, in your experience? I can see the distinct sections should allow parallel development, so long as there aren't two people working on the map or the sprites at the same time. But it would be good to get the experiences of those who may have used source code control collaboratively, to see what potential conflicts there might be with merges, etc. Alternatively, how easy is it to copy and paste sprites and maps (the graphics-based elements) between different branched versions?

DoctorMike

6 comments

Cart #findingcookie-1 | 2019-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ludum Dare entry for this game

Grandma is on yet another quest to find her beloved Cookie and save a few other stray cats on her way.

Controls: arrows to move, Z to shoot

This is a rogue-like game project by @Niarkou and me. We started it for Ludum Dare 44 and ran out of time, but we will continue working on it!

3 comments

Missile Command

Cart #kodesojoso-0 | 2019-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is my Pico-8 Version of Atari's Missile Command.

In 1980, David Teurer programmed the video game Missile Command for Atari.
The game became one of the most successful games of all time. KLOV

Have fun playing and I'm looking forward to your comments...

6 comments

@zep, I've been really curious about the water feature in Voxatron. I love how it looks and how it acts. It just looks and feels so satisfying. But I've had just a hell of a time finding good articles that give me any sort of clue on how to recreate it with any sort of decent performance. (Or even to look as good as yours.) There's the classic water ripple algorithm that so many articles refer back to. But running that on 128^2 voxels just kills performance. Any clues as to what direction to look in to do water the way you do it in Voxatron? Is it something that works well because it's done "natively", so to speak, but wouldn't necessarily work well within the Lua performance constraints of the custom scripting feature?

5 comments

Cart #blocks_for_life-0 | 2019-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

At the start of each level there is a shop. You can spend hearts on 3 things:

• Blocks: use these to build bridges, barriers, and to clobber monsters.
  • Jetpack fuel: press and hold jump while in mid-air to use your jetpack.
  • Gems: become your final score.

Life is replenished on completing each level.
Monsters also drop fuel and blocks sometimes.
You can modify your block placement with up+left/right etc.

Ludum Dare page: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/blocks-for-life

6 comments

Cart #wunuwenohi-1 | 2019-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this in about an hour for ld44's jam! Not much to see here, just really wanted to see if I could throw something together that fast.

Arrows to move. Collect booty from the shipwreck. Find a good ship and sale away to paradise.

My best time is 28 seconds (100% completion). Can you beat it?

(edit)
Ludum Dare entry for this: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/risk-it-all-for-booty

3 comments

Life Vacuum

A Ludum Dare 44 game by @caranha and @cornettheory

Cart #caranha_ld44-0 | 2019-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What?

In this game you play the role of an immoral bio-scientist, producing life in a laboratory to sell for a profit.

You create the life forms in your petri dish, and sell them using the suck-o-vat 3000.

Active life forms are worth more than static life forms. You can make them active by using the "RUN" button, and you can stamp the three patterns in the top on your petri-dish to influence how the lifeforms develop.

However, note that you have a limited number of runs, and using your stamps costs money!

How much money can you make before you run out of resources?

How?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #picotetrisbigmode-0 | 2019-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I originally planned incorporating a "big" mode into the 1.1 release of Pico Tetris, this is the state that mode was at when I realized how much work (and tokens!) would have to be invested in this.

However, I always find big mode to be a really unique and fun experience in Tetris games, and I didn't want to completely abandon it, so I decided to upload it here so it can be appreciated for the glitchy buggy mess it is. Have fun <3

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->