BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #aaaaaahh-2 | 2019-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone, for my first effort in pico 8 I made a small arcadey platformer. Try to keep your cool and survive as long as possible while lava chases you down an endless tower.

Controls:
left/ right - run
Z/C/N - jump
X/V/M while running - slide

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

4 comments

Cart #sokoku-0 | 2019-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hold Z/Y + Dir to shift rows/cols

0 comments

Cart #ccfc_feat_loke-4 | 2019-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

There's a great party going in Malmö but the guests can't seem to get anything done themselves! Use your trusty cargo bike and get your friends to Systembolaget, receive spiritual healing from Spökguden, or just take out the trash.

Done as an Xmas present to my good friend Loke, who DID keep the party going! My aim was to create something like Crazy Taxi with Frogger controls.

Music by @gruber_music

Don't worry about the in-jokes

1 comment

Cart #ca_starwars-1 | 2019-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So slow to compute.

0 comments

Cart #image_morph_a-0 | 2019-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pico Image Morph 2000

Use your personal Pico-8 computer to create professional-quality image morphing effects as seen in blockbusters such as "Willow" and "Terminator 2". Use the power of Pico Image Moprh 2000 to seamlessly transform one person into another or even change a cat into a dog!

Pico Image Morph 2000 can even be used to create wacky deformations! The possibilities are endless!

Instructions:

Pico Image Morph 2000 requires the use of the Pico Mouse Accessory.
While in "Position Mode", locate deform points along critical portions of the image, such as centers of eyes or the edges of lips.
Switch to "Deform Mode" to drag deform points to new locations.
Use the "Onion Skin" button to switch between viewing the Start Image, Target Image, or a blended overlay of both.
Click the "Animate" button to loop the animation
The system include 5 different image to morph between.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #leftyvsbrainlessskulls-0 | 2019-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Lefty vs. the Brainless Skulls!

My son (11) and my (42) first Pico-8 release, emphasized learning the system over real playability. A ton of fun to make. Source code is available via Lefty vs. Brainless Skulls Github repository. We also listed it on the cmcavoy itch.co.

Gameplay is very basic, run around, shoot the skulls. The skulls jet around in random directions. We added a health counter and limited bullets to make it at least a bit more interesting. A couple of things that we learned that were particularly revelatory - collision detection, game state (having a startup screen) and animation pacing (though Lefty himself needs a bit of work). Map drawing took a while to wrap our heads around. The (simple) math around screen pixels to map tiles had us stumped for a while.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

My expansion on Dylan Bennett's Cavediver game from their Gamedev With Pico zine (https://mboffin.itch.io/gamedev-with-pico-8-issue1).

Controls:

• Button 5 : jump / start (x by default)
  • Button 4 : start Crazy Mode (z by default)

Cart #martian_cavediver-0 | 2019-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #tirudomonu-0 | 2019-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

::★::cls()
for y=0,42 do for x=0,31 do
sx = 1+x4 + (y%2)2
sy = 1+y*3

d=.25t()sqrt(sx^2+sy^2)
q=cos(d/20-t()/4)2
circfill(sx,sy,1,5+q
1.5)

end
end
flip() goto ★

0 comments

this is an unfinished mod
don't try to beat it until it's finished
actually, don't try to beat it after that either.

Cart #towehonere-9 | 2019-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Hi there! I've fallen in love with Pico8 over the past few weeks. This is my first post here on the forums, and I thought I would share my Pico Pi project with you all :)

I am in the planning phase of this project, the purpose of which is to create a dedicated Pico8 machine in the style of the Commodore 64, using only keys that the Pico8 software utilises.

Planned Features:

• Ortholinear DVORAK key layout (can make key template file for QWERTY version available)
  • Primary and Shift characters printed on each key
  • Side-loading floppy disk drive and SD card reader for loading physical game carts
  • Two front usb ports for controllers
  • Rear ports: HDMI, Ethernet, USB, Power, (and RCA, for old TVs, if I can manage it)
  • PICO8 logo key is actually the PAUSE key

I'm planning to hand-wire the key switches to an Arduino Pro-Micro inside the case, which will connect internally to the Raspberry Pi via USB. I also want to create custom controllers that can plug into the front of the unit via USB.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

bad meme

Cart #sansundertale01-3 | 2019-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

bad meme

4 comments

Cart #snake1423-0 | 2019-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Snake, the game that you have probably heard of has had an upgrade.
This new version has:
Rotation
Curves
More than 4 directions!
Music
And probably more!

Use arrow keys to control the snake and remember,
DON'T DIE!

PS: I'm not the first person to do this.

1 comment

I began editing my Starfield cart to remove the parts that aren't necessary and fix a couple things. So here's a few cartridges that you can modify and drop into your own programs, as well as a tweet length (exactly 280 characters!) starfield cart.

Edit: moved this to code snippets where it belongs.

Starfield Snippet: this cart is medium size, including more rendering code so you can do things like modify the position of the camera and including the function that allows the user to change the speed of the stars. Also fixes a color bug in the original and adds a new dark blue transition color as suggested by @Liquidream.

Cart #starfield_snippet-0 | 2019-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #kakopumag-0 | 2019-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey all,

Recently I was delivering a presentation about Pico-8 to a class and it occurred to me.. "Why not use Pico-8 to create your slides? Deliver everything from within Pico-8".

So that's where Pico Slides came from.

Here's a 1.0 version you can use for your own use. The code is commented and if you run the cart you'll see placeholder slides which show you what Pico Slides can do.

Feel free to edit/add awesome stuff. It's pretty easy to watch the slideCounter and hardcode some other items, even games, to happen between slides.

Have fun.

Shane.

Note! The particles code is from some else's particle cart. I can't, for the life of me right now, find the original cart to give credit so please, if you know, just let me know and I'll credit where credit is due !:)

3 comments

Hey, I'm trying to figure out why btnp(x) seems to be true for one frame after stat(31)=="x" is true in devkit mode, or if I'm doing something dumb.

Here's an example cart. Press X, and it will show display the number of the frame that it registered the devkit keypress and the X button press respectively. There seems to be one frame difference.

Cart #zoyifizotu-0 | 2019-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My actual usecase is this: I have a password input in a game where I want to record numerical input from the devkit keyboard, but I also want it to record the X button, which confirms the password. Unfortunately, the 8 key is mapped to the X button; when they're also recorded on different frames it becomes a little convoluted to separate the two.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

sat
by verdog
Cart #sat-0 | 2019-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I tiny little demonstration of the SAT theorem being used for collision detection. Probably isn't perfect, probably is slow, and probably has bugs... but it appears to work at first glance, at least :)

2 comments

Hi all,

I've been working on tac08 for the last few months and while it is still is in development, its probably at a stage that other people may find useful. Check it out on github here:

https://github.com/0xcafed00d/tac08

What is tac08?

tac08 is an emulation of the runtime part of the Pico-8 fantasy console written in C++. It takes a .p8 (text format) Pico-8 cart file and runs it closely as possible to the real Pico-8 software.

What isn't tac08?

tac08 is not a replacement for Pico-8, it provides none of the content creation components of Pico-8, such as code editing, sprite and map creation and music tools. You will still require a copy of Pico-8 to make games. Also if you just want to run Pico-8 games you will have a much better experience with Pico-8 than tac08

Why was tac08 written?

tac08's target audience are developers that want to do one or more of the following:

1. To enable Pico-8 games to be run on platforms that Pico-8 itself does not run on.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #gepizokoba-1 | 2019-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #zanda00-0 | 2019-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hiya,
Pico-8 is really exciting to me cos I covet old-school music disks by demo crews and this environment leaps out as a way of making them on my own. I've been making my own music for a very long time and do now and then attempt to learn a new discipline so I had a lot of fun with this.

I kinda adore the internal tracker and all its quirks; watching the SFX channels move at independent speeds was sort of eye-opening to me in all sorts of ways.

This has no game-play elements and the code is not going to help anyone progress (in a positive way, at least); it's purely an ego project. Enjoy!

2 comments

Cart #sosiburota-2 | 2019-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[0x0]

The start of an implementation of the Royal Game of Ur.

Ur dates back to at least 2400 BC, and was an extremely popular strategy race game for millennia. Hopefully I can do it some justice with my implementation!

Update 2019-02-20
The intro screen is complete and the play-screen is under way.
We can now see pieces on the playing field, and soon we will have the ability to move pieces.

Update 2019-02-21

• Swapped the color on the play pieces to show up against the background.
  • Added piece selection and random CPU move selection

TODO:

• Cleanup and simplify piece selection
  • Add check for valid moves
  • Add check for piece collision.
  • Redo gameboard to simplify collision detection

The Rules Of Ur

• Turns alternate between players
  • On your turn: roll 4 4-sided dice marked 0,0,1,1 and count up the total spaces to move (0 to 4)
  • Select a piece to move the number of spaces rolled
  • If your selected piece ends its move on a square occupied by an enemy piece, you send that piece back to its owners starting area
  • A piece on the

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->