Cart #jijazenefe-2 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

EDIT: Updated version now supports mouse controls (and touch controls, but it won't work too well on the BBS - try the itch.io version to play on your phone!)

You're baking cakes for the Winter holidays! You do this by putting ingredients into a tray and trying to score the most points by assembling the longest combos possible!

This is an entry in the 2018 PICO-8 Advent Calendar - day #10.

How to play
The easiest way to learn is the "how to play" option in-game, but here is the gist:

• You make cakes by playing tiles into the tray. When the tray fills up, the cake is baked and scored.
  • You get a recipe for each cake. The total score on tiles with a given ingredient has to at least match the number in the top-left corner.
  • Tiles with the same ingredients fuse together when placed next to each other.
  • Tiles with different ingredients interact through links. There are colored knobs on the sides of tiles. A red knob means that a tile will link with a red tile in this direction (the color of the score tag matters). Tiles earn bonus points when linked (equal to the lowest score already on them) and swap places.
  • You can use all that swapping to make combos, which score extra points to all the tiles in your tray.
  • Every link or fuse that you make earns you an extra tile to use.

This is so polished! Love it! Great game feel. :D

I had a pretty good run :D

It took me a while before I felt like I knew what I was doing. Now that I'm there, tho, it still feels like I get into unwinnable situations more times than not after the 3rd cake.

Still, best Cake, 128. Pretty proud of that.

Brillant - simply brilliant.

Fantastic use of the pico palette!

might be my favorite from the calendar! really fun and creative puzzle idea i haven't seen before, great to play.

This is a fantastic and beautiful game, but I ran into this and I hope it helps.
Bug report: When the game starts and I hit down, I get the following crash.

I actually can't reproduce it now. It may have been after a couple of game overs or restarts, I am not certain.

The updated version with mouse support crashes Pico-8 on launch on my Raspberry Pi. Does the same thing on the GameShell. :-(

I kept a copy of the old version which still works. I'm not sure if anything else changed with the update, but I really like this game (even so long after Christmas!) and it would be nice to see it working again for non-mouse/touch systems via the BBS.

Final: 482
Best Cake: 266

This game is a lot of fun!

Got 242 for final score and 65 for best cake xD.
If only baking cake were this "piece of cake" xD.
Love the graphics!

One of the best PICO-8 games, brilliant idea and charming graphics. Love it!

I've found two bugs:

1. Game sometimes freeze for a moment, lost mouse focus and you cannot put any new piece on the tray.

Another example: this time blue piece wants bonus from yellow and vice versa. I think it's coroutine deadlock.

2. Runtime error I've got when i put one block on the tray and this block got bonus from two other blocks in the same time

This is fun, I like the idea that combos can come from a variety of sources, and the swapping rewarded thinking ahead with my tile set.

Here's a bug I found, looks similar to one from mpasko:

Guys it's everything fine now. It was problem with Pico-8 0.2.0d version.

Anyone know what's causing this error?

add() has parsing bugs in the latest versions of the web player / executable. I've posted a bug report, but for now I'd recommend playing this game on itch.io, since that version doesn't update and will always work. @zep, it might be worth running BBS games in the version of pico-8 that they were created in, because these crashes have been happening more often lately.

I love this game.

Should no longer crash on PICO-8 0.2.1b

Sooooo yeah, I had the best run :3

So, that's that!

This game is ridiculously addictive. Excellent job!

Super polished! Love the art and the liveliness of the board. I've never seen this puzzle before. One thing, I'm pretty sure that's a pie. ;)

Love this little game! Very addicted and unique! The icons are also very cute! Well done!

Score: 520!

Best Score of all time!

This is a perfect little game; so relaxing and beautiful too :)

I think 2 rounds led me to this score:

honestly this game has got to be one of my favorite games on pico-8. I am able to play it on my 3ds and i can just play it for hours and hours.

First score over 1000, Personal best score(1020), and Personal best cake(769)

You know, I think it's time for you to expand on this game. Maybe add a recipe that focuses on you cake score rather than the ingredient? Or even more cake pan shapes? Either way, this game could use some new concepts.

My best score so far love the game with its simple mechanics yet convoluted strategies

[Please log in to post a comment]