Follow
darkerbit
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #picochip-0 | 2023-03-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[64x8]

A complete implementation of the CHIP-8 Architecture on PICO-8.

The CHIP-8 architecture was designed to allow making simple video games portably, in the mid-1970s, and has since seen implementations on just about every platform known to man.

Options available from the pause menu:

• Buttons fully rebindable to match standard PICO-8 controls, but can also be changed to Devkit mode to operate it with standard keyboard controls (& mouse).
  • Cycles per frame adjustable, CPU usage becomes visible if it gets too high so you know what the limits are.

Comes with several demo cartridges from the CHIP-8 Archive, but you can use any CHIP-8 cartridge with it by simply dragging it into an exported build (does not appear to work on the BBS, unfortunately)

If you own a local copy of PICO-8, you can also use my debugging features by simply step debugging with . as usual.

SCHIP and XO-CHIP support coming eventually. Maybe.

Exported builds (click):

P#127610 2023-03-25 21:36

[ :: Read More :: ]

Port of PICO-8 Celeste to Retro Gadgets

Retro Gadgets is a video game about building all sorts of retro-styled devices with all the clicky buttons and other goodies, and I noticed two things:

1. The screens have a square aspect ratio
  2. The CPUs are programmed with Lua

Commence bad idea.

After a week or so of borderline masochism, I managed to port PICO-8 Celeste to Retro Gadgets using the original Lua code, spritesheets, music and sound data, along with writing some quick scripts to do syntax conversion from PICO-8 Lua to standard Lua, and to get the map and flag data out.

The entire game is beatable from start to finish, and functions identically to the PICO-8 version apart from minor visual quirks.

Retro Gadgets: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1730260/Retro_Gadgets/
My Celeste gadget for Retro Gadgets: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2899096562

Technical details:

• Partial reimplementation of the PICO-8 API (only the bare minimum Celeste requires)
  • Some quick bodging was done to get around Retro Gadgets' lack of sprite flipping and palette swapping
  • Every sound effect and music track was rendered to a wav file, which is why the workshop file is so large

Pictures:

Title screen

First level

Front of board

Back of board, showing the components

P#122417 2022-12-14 20:51