BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I'm building a cozy game using Godot, and wanted to add a feature where users can pick up a PICO-8 cartridge and run the PICO-8 runtime + cartridge. Godot compiles to run cross-platform, so I figured that the best attempt to get this to work would be running a WASM file.

It seems like WASM support for PICO-8 exporter is experimental? The exporter produces .js and .wasm, so it seems that the WASM executable was intended to be called by the Javascript code. I briefly attempted to wire GDScript to call the WASM file, but the interface functions calls are not straightforward or documented anywhere.

Would love any input regarding running WASM and/or emulation in a Godot environment where the host machine may be arbitrary.

4 comments

Cart #picopets-1 | 2024-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pico Pets! is an auto-battler made for the Pico-8 fantasy console.

Pick your favorite hat and then buy, sell, and merge pets to get your gang of four animals to make it Round 7 and win the game. I hope you find it as fun to play as it was to make.

View the "Help" page in-game or screenshot for a brief explanation of the mechanics. Also available on itch.io

This is my second Pico-8 game and took significantly longer to work through (1 week) than my first game Phoenix (1 day). I decided that it's in a good enough state to call done, but I plan to revisit some of the work here with a more original take and additional polish.

2 comments

Cart #mr_flapman-0 | 2024-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #atomplasma2023-0 | 2024-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the classic plasma effect in lo-res resolution of 64x64 pixels.

There are a few different setups you can cycle through:

❎ Next setup
🅾️ Prev setup
⬆️⬇️ Increase/decrease busy factor
⬅️➡️ Increase/decrease speed factor

0 comments

Cart #globmy_duegeonnewversion-0 | 2024-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

WELOCME TO GLOMBY DUEGEON
GLOMBYGLOMBY

Old version

Cart #globmy_duegeon-0 | 2024-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #healthemup-0 | 2024-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Heal'em'up

Instructions

Heal your allies during a protest by throwing band-aids at them. They all need to be conscious at the end of the countdown!
Be careful, you have a limited number of ammunitions. Reload regularly.
You can also use a little caffeine boost to move faster!

About

We are a team of students at Ada Tech School from Paris, France. For our school project, we had two weeks to make a game using Pico-8. We are happy to present you Heal'em'up, a non-shooter where you need to heal instead of shooting. Your mission: protect and help all the protesters.

Stanz-ie ([https://github.com/Stanz-ie/])
Cannellette([https://github.com/cannellette/])

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I tried to learn how pico-8 platformers were built. But how does the save code or save program work for like items/powerups and different levels or scenes? Like when a character collects an item how is it store acrossed parts of the game?

5 comments

Super Mario Bros. Demake DEMO

Hello all, today I wanted to present my Super Mario Bros. demake, in a work-in-progress state.
This has been worked on for about a month or two, mostly due to me trying to create my own platforming engine, but failing miserably, and some troubles. This demo uses the Advanced Micro Platformer engine by @mhughson. Check it out- it's pretty cool! Also, I know that his SMB remake also uses this engine, although his has larger sprites, and mine has smaller, you get what I mean..? Anyways, the cartridge is linked below, try it, although it's very barebones and spaghetti coded if you're looking into it with a technical view!
[8x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #jelpi_corruption-0 | 2024-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #defiance_of_pico_1_0-1 | 2024-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone, this is my first PICO-8 game. It's a simple bouncy arcade game that is easy to pick up and play. Feel free to share any feedback!

2 comments

Cart #understand14-1 | 2024-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

draw a line to fit the rules of the board.

you need to guess the rules and solve them.

i have completed the basic function but the game is still in the early demo stage.

your suggestions for rules and levels are welcome!

please use hidden tags on rules you post to protect other players' experience.

todo

• more rules
  • more levels
  • custom level by clipboard
  • automatically generate levels
  • joystick control
  • sound effect
  • title animation

credit

the idea of this game is come from

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bubblegum_kitty-2 | 2024-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #stickhero-1 | 2024-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A demake of mobile game stick hero by ketchapp.

Controls:
-Hold z to build your bridge.
-Let go of z when you think the bridge is long enough.
-Press z when running to go below the bridge to collect cherries and then press z again to go back up.

Enjoy and any feedback is much appreciated :)

2 comments

Hey zep add free trial of PICO-8 pls!

1 comment

Cart #rbits_2048-1 | 2024-07-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I created this to teach myself PICO-8. It has animations, and should be 100% accurate to the original game, including scoring (please let me know if this is not the case). All the 2048 versions I've found on the PICO-8 BBS don't have animations, or have different rules.

Since PICO-8 only supports 16-bit signed integers, it would only allow scores up to 32767, which is a problem with 2048 where scores can go much higher than that. I had to create a long integer "class" to fix that, which took a while. However, it still only supports scores up to just over 3 million. I decided that's probably enough.

Git Repo
Original game by Gabriele Cirulli

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #mousetrap-2 | 2024-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Mouse: Oh yum! There is some cheese just lying on the floor! YAY!!11!

Human guy living in the house: Hey, that's MY cheese... shoots missile

Mouse: oh NO! (what kind of game description is this anyway?)

Use the arrow keys to move and z to burrow underground!

Dodge missiles and a certain traitorous bounty hunter...

Try to get 300 points!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

by emu
Cart #sneak-0 | 2024-07-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Unfinished stealth puzzle platformer

Z = jump
X = reset

If you are within line of sight, NPC will charge at you

If you jump on top of them, you can kill them

But otherwise if they touch you, you're B U S T E D

0 comments