BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

So I'm trying to use two sprite sheets per frame in my game using the new high memory video mapping. at the start of the game the video memory is moved to 0x8000. there are special sprites that are loaded from a string into 0xa0. What im trying to do is quickly switch to 0xa0, load/draw the compressed sprite, then switch back to the 0x80 sprite sheet. for some reason loading the sprite into 0xa0 overwrites sprites at the same position in 0x80, which is my main issue here. if anyone has advice or help id appreciate, i understand its a new feature so its not as well documented just yet.

copying sprites from video memory to 0x8000 (this is done in _init):

memcpy(0x8000,0x0,0x2000)
poke(0x5f54,0x80)
poke(0x5f5c,255)

loading sprite data from string into 0xa000 (this is called sometimes during _update within a decoding function):

poke(0x5f54,0xa0) --load 0xa000 memory
--buncha stuff that loads decompressed sprite
for i=0,4096do
	sset(slot*64+i%64,64+i\64,0)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=149955#p)
5 comments

Cart #splode_em_up-2 | 2024-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Splode 'Em Up

Destroy rascally missiles n' bombs with incredibly powerful countermeasures: balloons! Balloons 'splode enemies on impact, but not only that, each different color balloon has a unique special ability.

Explosition

You play Recty, a sentient rectangle with an incredible ability to spawn balloons ad infinitum. Recty hates missiles n' bombs and likes to 'splode as many as possible all the time. It's literally all he ever does.

Gameplay

• Move Recty (the rectangle at the bottom of the screen) left and right.
  • Release balloons to try and hit the missiles n' bombs. You can only have one balloon out at a time.
  • While you have a balloon, you can pivot it left or right, or even have it float up more quickly.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #kmojiworo-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's a weird little tool that scribbles!

That's it!

0 comments

Cart #gitahosada-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #trilateral-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

The Question

Hello everyone,

I am ludicrously close to finishing the engine for my game, but some physics equations have me stuck. Here is what I'm trying to achieve:

• The players are effectively nodes that can switch between being pendulum bobs and fulcrums. One can be anchored to serve as a fulcrum while the other swings. If both are anchored, neither moves. If both try to un-anchor themselves, they fall.
  • In order to let the players navigate the playfield, I want the swing of a pendulum bob to increase bit by bit. (This will let players climb the playfield by swinging upward instead of just descending.)
  • Once a bob makes a full loop around the fulcrum, I want it to continue in a circle at a more-or-less consistent speed.

With the help of this math writeup, I managed to assemble a simplified set of physics variables and equations that do an okay job of simulating momentum and creating a non-degrading swing (i.e., the swing distance never shrinks due to friction). But I haven't figured out how to make the desired increase in swing distance happen. I'm sure it's a single value or sign that I haven't identified.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #kabuto-0 | 2024-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Trying out the mechanics for a Kabuto Sumo type game

0 comments

Cart #celestetextmod-0 | 2024-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A funky little texture mod for Celeste. Mod by Skyler Clark.

2 comments

Cart #vexor-1 | 2024-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Vexor is a cute lil shmup I made!

Enojoy! :)

Changelog:
-Fixed slow down
-Fixed phantom plane glitch

9 comments

I made a function to draw an equilateral triangle that I could animate:

function triangle(_x,_y,_size,_angle,_clr)
 for i=0,2 do
  local _offset=.33*i
  local _x1=_x+(cos(_angle+_offset)*_size)
  local _y1=_y+(sin(_angle+_offset)*_size)
 	line(_x1,_y1,_clr+i)
 end	
end

Pico 8 does something weird when I try to draw 2 triangles made out of lines:

I can draw each triangle just fine, but when I put the triangle() function twice it weirdly connects the triangles.

I have no idea why it does that, I could use some help.

here's the full code

function _init()

end

function _update()

end

function _draw()
 cls()
	triangle(64,64,30,0.255,8)
	triangle(64,64,30,0.255+0.5,12)
end

function triangle(_x,_y,_size,_angle,_clr)
 for i=0,2 do
  local _offset=.33*i
  local _x1=_x+(cos(_angle+_offset)*_size)
  local _y1=_y+(sin(_angle+_offset)*_size)
 	line(_x1,_y1,_clr+i)
 end	
end
1 comment

Cart #stickyfoot-2 | 2024-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are Stickyfoot, a squishy sewer creature who dreams of escaping to the surface world. Leap and dodge through a host of dangerous levels to escape the sewer and bask in the sunny, flowery fields above!

A short, challenging puzzle-jumper in the vein of Chip’s Challenge, Tomb of the Mask, and Pac-Man. Do you have what it takes to beat the gauntlet?

How to Play

Arrow Keys: Move
Z/X: Self-destruct
Enter: Pause/menu
Collect all coins in each level to win. There are 56 unique levels to beat!
Aim for the target score to get a gold trophy. Beat every target speed to prove you’re the best!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #astrox-0 | 2024-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Astrox is a thrilling pico-8 shoot-'em-up (shmup) game inspired by the classic Galaga. Players navigate their ship through waves of diverse spaceship enemies, engaging in intense firefights and dodging enemy fire. With retro aesthetics and fast-paced gameplay, Astrox offers an exhilarating arcade experience.

Mechanics

Astrox comprises 15 enemy waves you need to clear to win the game. Kill them before they respawn back at their location, as they will restore their health. Enemies will shoot and move towards you. Avoid colliding with enemies or comets and don't get hit without a shield or you'll lose 1 life. If you lose all your lives, you lose the game.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

Cart #sesufeyoho-0 | 2024-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my latest version of Nybble Quest, an adventure game with a 4-bit aesthetic.

Since the last dot release, I've put a ton of work into the map. It's not done, but most of the pieces are there. The city to the NE still needs to be filled in.

This isn't all that playable because only a few of the objects have been moved to appropriate places from their initial testing locations. The win state trigger is in the old location, but the king is in his new location, for example. The enemies are all in the NW wasteland. There aren't enough keys for all the doors. Some of the loot isn't really visible against the wasteland.

But you can wander about the full map instead of just 2 screens worth or so in prior versions. The full map is 8x4 screens. With its 4-bit aesthetic, you get a pseudo-resolution of 32x32 tiles on-screen, which makes for a lot of map tiles overall.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #thatdicegame-0 | 2024-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's that dice game.

2 comments

Cart #rebsepar-3 | 2024-06-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game i made for my friend's birthday, so the "secret" ending won't really make sense

5 comments

Cart #sakafafabe-1 | 2024-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first celeste mod(and my first time using pico 8)
Its mildly difficult so if you haven't played celeste I would recommend playing that first
Its still a WIP so it may have bugs. if you find anything please let me know
Also, any feedback would be appreciated.

2 comments

Cart #library_page1-1 | 2024-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

hehehehe

1 comment

Cart #airattack-0 | 2024-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Press "X" to drop a bomb.

Rules

This a one button game. The aircraft flies by itself and will descend each time it reaches the end of the screen. Destroy all the buildings to land safely on the ground! A bomb has to explode {destroying 1-4 building blocks) before you can drop another, so use them wisely!

Behind the Scenes

This is my first Pico-8 game and is based on the Commodore Pet game, Air Attack, by Peter Calver. It was released in 1979 by Supersoft. This was the game that sparked my interest in computers and video games. We had a Commodore Pet at college and I typed in the code for this game from a magazine (possibly the December 1979 edition of Personal Computer World). The magic of being able to play this game, even with no understanding of the code at the time, was certainly a seed for my career in software and my love for game development.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Been following lazy Devs tutorial (with a few edits) and so far have got this:

Cart #tumiwubemi-0 | 2024-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Edit: Added Wibbly Wobbly stars.

0 comments

Cart #snailsattack-0 | 2024-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 players only - it's for family, friends or foes...

and for slime lovers --- enjoy

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->