BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Pico-8 Injects

If you dont know what an "inject" is, ill explain it here.

An inject is a script or program that you append (add) to the end of another program to serve a function. good examples of an inject are code snippets you add to the end of a cartridge to alter things in real time or gain extra functions. RTCP is a great example of a code inject (code below). you simply just add the inject in a new code tab, and it automatically does its set function(s) without having to modify the source code.

Here are a few injects i have created

RTCP

--[[ rtc-p+ ]]--
--portable rtc made by antibrain
cf,clvl,ct=150,100,0
if _init!=nil then _init()end
function rtc()
if cf<0then cf=0elseif clvl<0then clvl=0end
menuitem(1,"corrupt spd:"..cf,function(b) icf(b) end)
menuitem(2,"corrupt lvl:"..clvl, function(b) iclvl(b) end)
menuitem(3,"nxt crpt in:"..-(ct-cf))
ct+=1
if ct>=cf then ct=0
for i=1,clvl do
poke(abs(rnd(-1)),rnd(-1))
end end end
function icf(b)
if(b&2>0)then cf+=10 rtc()end
if(b&1>0)then cf-=10 rtc()end 
return true end
function iclvl(b)
if(b&2>0)then clvl+=10 rtc()end
if(b&1>0)then clvl-=10 rtc()end 
return true end
while true do 
rtc() if _update!=nil then _update()
elseif _update60!=nil then _update60()
end if _draw!=nil then _draw() end
flip()
--the below loop can be removed if you are short on tokens.
if (_update==nil or _update60==nil) and _draw==nil then
?"no update or draw loops found!"
?"for carts that dont use"
?"game loops, load #rtcp and"
?"use that instead."
?" "
?"if loaded off bbs, please"
?"use a pico-8 editor to use this."
stop()end end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #cyopicoris-0 | 2024-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A mod of MarkGamed7794's Picoris that allows you to create your own pieces. This is my first project with pico 8, a Tetris game where you can make your own pieces is something I've wanted to play for a while and very proud how it came out. I added a lot of original features and modes as well as many from Picoris 2.

I've had a lot of fun playing and creating this and problem solving to fit a lot in the cartridge, hope you enjoy!

Screenshots

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Mox Wild West (WIP)

Cart #moxwildwest-6 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Story

[8x8]

The story about Mox unfolds in a small canyon enclave, where he's stuck and can't escape. The canyon has been overrun with bandits and other mysterious creatures. There are trains passing multiple times every day, but they never seem to stop in the small town, maybe he can find a clue? (wip)

Controls

[8x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hello !!

I'm learning to code, but I quickly find myself getting sidetracked by trying to implement things I haven't seen in the games I've played yet, and ultimately, I end up wasting a lot of time starting over.

I would like to hear your thoughts on Pico-8, what has helped you progress the most? Was it blind development like I'm attempting without any prior experience? Did you follow tutorials or take courses? Did you look at the code of a game you like to try to understand and learn from it?

Specifically, if you were to start Pico-8 programming today with the hindsight you have now, how would you begin?

Thanks in advance.

6 comments

Cart #pizzabomb-0 | 2024-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

by
Cart # | | Embed ▽ | No License | Edit

0 comments

Cart #helloworld_moonvixn-0 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm just getting into PICO-8, so this post is largely just me saying Hello World :)

Here's what I have to show (in the best way) for the past few days of learning how to develop in PICO-8 - tutorials have been super useful and I love what I've seen of the community so far!

x to yap with a star effect

arrow keys to walk

hold o + arrow to zoom with rainbow effect

This cart uses snippets from @shy's blog post on animating sprites and @atzlochtlan's Particle Effects cart (thank you!)

💜

0 comments

____ SPACE ROGUE! ____

Embark on a mission to destroy the enemy aliens!!!!!

Upgrade your ships weapons as you power up in this Space Invader/Roguelite mash-up!

How many enemies can you defeat before re-upgrading your ship?

UPDATE 1.3:

The new update for Space Rogue! adds more core mechanics to make the game be the roguelite that it is! This update adds replay value and provides a foundation for future upgrades & enemies!!!

-- NEW post run shop upgrades!!! Continue your run after your death with an upgraded ship!

• Triple shot!: Fire three bullets at once!
  • Upgrade your maximum shield capacity!
  • Unlock a power-up that will re-fill your shields to max level. Handy for long runs!

-- Balanced enemy spawns and added a NEW enemy type!!! (this one shoots back!)
-- New sprite for the ships bullets. Adds little more imagination than a yellow brick :)
-- New soundtrack!!! (This one has a bass line! :O)

Also changed up the coding for the way the game handles enemy collision, weapon collision, upgrade logic etc... This will make adding more upgrades & enemies in the future less of a task!

Have fun!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #apibrowser-0 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pico-8 A-Z: A Pretty API Browser for You and Me

> A Tool by ★ iiviigames
Follow on Twitch!

∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧

How to Use the Api Browser 1.0

∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧∧

> Save this bad boy to the local unit for optimum effectiveness...

Simply 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘸 𝘬𝘦𝘺𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 t𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘱𝘪.

• ➡️ / ⬇️ to move forward
  • ⬅️ / ⬆️ moves backwards

> NOTE: This cart saves a log to the desktop for your ♥

Featurez

T𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘮 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘭𝘱𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘹 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦, saving directly to the desktop for easy access!

T𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘰𝘳, 𝘨𝘰 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘣, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘦𝘵 writeapi 𝘵𝘰 false.

A𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘮'𝘴 𝘧𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘴...

• I'𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘥𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦, 𝘢𝘴 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘴 𝘱𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘢𝘨𝘦.
  • B𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 itemsperpage 𝘵𝘰 1, 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘦𝘹𝘢𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘧𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘢𝘵 𝘢 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘵𝘢𝘭 𝘯𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 P𝘪𝘤𝘰-8 API as a whole.

Why I Made This

This tool was created to quickly scan through the pico-8 api, & has many use cases for myself, as I'm the fella' who maintains the stylish though unofficial API site at:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Dani is late and needs to hurry! Help him make it through the desert without dying!

This is my first game using Pico 8 and my first time using Lua. Feedback is welcome!

Cart #dani_run-0 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

7 comments

A phone keypad to make some tunes with.

The number keys play different notes, and the */# keys are drums.

Controls:

• Arrows: Select digit
  • O: Enter digit
  • X: Delete (hold to clear box)

Cart #rideseyuyi-1 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

This is my attempt at making a cartridge around an event!

Cart #eclipse-0 | 2024-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #potato_peel-0 | 2024-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this game has a nice peel..

controls:

• Up and Down = move the knife/stick
  • hold c = move faster vertically

Lore:

After years of practice this now is the final exam, bob has to make it. After failing school, work and college, his only choice was clear. To eat potatoes, that would make him grow bigger and stronger, or so he thought. Life is hard, it was a constant pressure on him, he could not rest a minute. that's how busy he was, peeling potatoes. The problem was there, bob didn't have a proper peeler, or a knife. He had to use a stick (don't ask how its possible). The potatoes were weird as well, there were only huge ones. In fact, he was standing on the potatoes. But after years of training and hard work, it finally came to him. He knew the perfect job for him. So he applied for a job at peelstation, you know, the place where they make potato games. But here comes the twist. His parents were actually giraffes. But to him, it didn't matter, his goal is clear. He needs to get a 100% on this test, otherwise he isn't the potato master. Just imagine the consecutive, it would be eternal shame. This here is the moment, can YOU make it ?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #hakpazhu-2 | 2024-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

BE ADVISED:

Pursuant to recent directives, all able-bodied citizens over the age of seven are strongly encouraged to engage in our government-sanctioned directional input training simulation. Here, with dedication and diligence, you will undertake rigorous exercises designed to sharpen your combat abilities to their utmost potential. Mastering precise weapon deployment isn't just a task; It's a solemn vow to safeguard our nation's sovereignty and ensure victory. Your unwavering commitment to this endeavor is the embodiment of our collective devotion to defense, security, and the long reach of democracy.

ATTENTION : If your device lacks Pico-8 compatibility, it is your duty to promptly report to the 'Super Earth Treason Tribunal' for further assessment and potential rectification. Your compliance is appreciated.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Flappy Yoyo Demake

This is a flappy bird clone, and it is also a "demake" of my other game flappy yoyo.

Cart #hmeniroma-0 | 2024-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Working on some 16 x 16 sprites for Love Letter. From left to right:
Guard
Priest
Baron
Handmaid
Prince
King
Countess
Princess

0 comments

Cart #rainbow_rays_deluxe-0 | 2024-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

you guys probably don't care that i released another one but here are the changes:

press x/o to turn invisible
updated menu
music (credits to peter hodgden as i used the main soundtrack from his game: sushi boi)
updated palette

thanks!

ps: this was a happy birthday to my brother.

1 comment

A simple SameGame clone with limited and endless modes.

Cart #raziwapafe-0 | 2024-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rules

In SameGame, you need to remove groups of like-coloured tiles from a randomly-generated board. Clearing larger groups of tiles will award you more points. You cannot remove individual tiles.
Tiles will fall downwards if the tiles below them have been removed. If a column is cleared completely, all of the tiles to the right of it will be shifted left to close the gap.

Modes

Both modes start with the grid full of random tiles.

• Normal Mode
    In Normal Mode, the goal is to remove as many tiles from the board as possible. The score and move counters don't really mean much in this mode.
  • Endless Mode

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #jaw-0 | 2024-04-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Jaw

> The year is 1974. You just got out of the theater and saw that scary shark flick. As you walk home thinking about the movie, you pass an arcade and there it is: A brand-new game based on the movie you just saw. You check your pockets for quarters. Let's do this.

This is my entry for the 2024 FishFest Game Jam. Help Kalea the shark get her dinner. But beware! Barrels of gunpowder, harpoons, and a guy named Quint are out to hurt you. Try to string fish bites together for more points.

How to play

Hold Z or X and release to jump out of the water and eat fish.
Avoid barrels, harpoons and oxygen tanks!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Here's a proof-of-concept for a zoomable camera:

Features

• Multiple cameras
  • Set target coordinates, drawn at the camera center
  • Set zoom factor, for drawing scaled map and sprites

Functionality

• camera.get_center()
  • camera.set_target(x, y)
  • camera.get_target()
  • camera.start_draw()
  • camera.draw_map(tx, ty, tw, th, x, y)
  • camera.draw_spr(s, x, y)
  • camera.draw_sspr(sx, sy, sw, sh, x, y)
  • camera.end_draw()

Relies on this smap function. Code is below or via GitHub.

Cart #zoomable_camera-1 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->