BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Flashing lights ahead! Refrain from playing if you have photosensitive epilepsy!!
So, what is this?
This is a remake of a crappy old Scratch game I made a long time ago (Pongle), and how it was supposed to actually play out.

I used @GibletsofJesus's Bounce the Ball to create most of the game.

I'm not sure if I'm going to update this.

Game:

Cart #pongle_is_back_baby-0 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #binujisohe-1 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #joresibaro-0 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

So here's my first post and my first shot at the start of a PICO-8 game. I had run through an adventure game tutorial with 8x8 pixel sprites a while back, but never went further with it. Recently, I was buying game assets that I'll never use, and I saw a neat 4x4 pixel set of assets (by an artist called Vexed). Intrigued, I started on a wee framework for it. You don't get actual 4x4 pixel tiles, but each 8x8 tile has 4 collision quadrants that you mark with the first 4 flags for each tile. So you can kinda fake it.

What I want is a mellow little adventure game with low stakes and low stress.

It's just a testbed right now. You can move the player around. There are 3 enemies that will come after you if you get too close. They're easily evaded and easily killed. You can draw your sword with the X button, but if you run into an obstacle, it'll sheath itself. If they hit you, you'll lose a heart. Lose all 5 hearts and you'll die and need to reset the cart. Wee first aid packs will each gain you a heart up to 5.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #dodger_demake_0-10 | 2024-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dodger Demake

The year is 1982 and pacman has once again managed to be zapped
back inside a home computer. His only chance of escape from the
evil bad guy - the one that appears in all arcade games - is to
eat his way through multiple levels of mayhem thus thwarting the
sinister plot to take over the world. This may sound a simple task but there are four mean laser machines
just waiting to blast pacman's hide into oblivion. It is going to take all of pacman's skill, cunning and judgement to
dodge the laser fire and to eventually reach his goal of early
retirement (no more pacman games please - Pacman)

What is this?

A tribute to a Windows 3.1 game called Dodger (1994) made by Ivan Mackintosh, this is a demake though, the game is feature complete but presents a smaller playable area than the original one (a 128x128 grid, due to PICO-8 features).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #hm118_birdbike_v10-0 | 2024-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Full Release Version!

Controls: Move the bird with d-pad, jump the bike with x

How to play:

Collect as many letters as possible with the bird.
Avoid running into rocks in the road as the bike.
Hitting an obstacle with the bike will cause it to become unsteady and slow down.
If the bike slows down too far it will fall over and end the run.
Land the bird on the bike to return it to normal.
The bike cannot jump while the bird is sitting on it.
Hitting an obstacle while unsteady will cause the run to end.
If the bird is pushed off-screen too far to the left, the run will end.

Goal: get the highest score for letters/distance travelled.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #flappyminute1-3 | 2024-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A small demake and remix of flappybird and minit. Mostly learning how to work with 1-bit (it’s actually 1 bit + alpha) sprites from minit and replacing them one after one with my own creations or manipulations.

1 comment

Cart #gikinaboma-0 | 2024-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

All my life I've loved video games. All my life I've enjoyed them somewhat passively if you will.
Yes, I've interacted with them like anyone else, but I've never really delved further than that.
I often ask myself, why? If you like them so much, why haven't you tried making your own?

Lack of skills?

Lack of patience?

Ignorance about how they're made?

I guess a little bit of everything.

I heard someone mention Pico-8 and how they were getting their nieces and nephews into it. I heard it was a super simple all in one development suite for 8-bit style games, one that even a kid could use!
I was immediately interested. If a kid could do it, surely an idiot adult such as myself could too.

Well, today is the day I start making games. I'm glad to join the community.

2024/4/2

2 comments

The poster of https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=141370 seems to have discovered that posting a short reply to their own thread un-hides their original post after it was flagged for spam review. Not 100% sure this is a bug, but it seems like one.

4 comments

Flexible Softbodies in PICO-8

Hello everyone! I've been using PICO-8 for a while now, but this is my first post on the BBS, and I'd like to share some of the shenanigans I'm doing.
About a year ago, I stumbled upon Walaber's video on how he made Jellycar's physics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OmkehAJoyo&ab_channel=WalaberEntertainment) and I thought it was really cool. I also thought It'd be fun to make a softbody system for myself. So I tried and was able to do some fun things with springs and a bit of collision. I had learned a bit about dot and cross products that year in math classes I took, so it was cool to use the stuff I just learned to make a fun program. Up to this point all the softbodies were just springs connected to each other.

Then, I tried to implement shape matching (where you link the physical polygon to an invisible "frame" that in turn updates its rotation to the physical polygon's) and everything went downhill.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #harvest_8-5 | 2024-04-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi,

this is a little project I'm working on. It is not much yet and it's based on a video series by @SpaceCat on YouTube.
Feedback is much appreciated, but keep in mind that I'm still a beginner with low experience, so if you would just drop me a code snippet without any explanation or where I would have to drop it, I would probably get lost.

Edit: version changes

v0.1.2

• added energy system. Field work now costs energy (not balanced yet).
  • power station to recharge energy
  • power packs for purchase to recharge power station
  • added unconsciousness when energy runs out (yet to improve though)
  • screen fade out and in (thanks to @dw817 )
  • (time is still running faster for testing)

v0.1.1b

• improved shop ui and functionality
  • improved seasonal time difference day/night
  • bugfixes
  • added harvest claw
  • improved/cleaned input code

v0.1.1a

• bugfix: season for seeds was not active, when purchased from shop
  • added harvest sound

v.0.1.1

• seasonal day/night cycle (time is still running very fast for testing purposes)
  • improved growth
  • minor changes for movement
  • improved ui/shop
  • seasons added and seasonal seeds

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #the_most_interesting_game_ever-0 | 2024-04-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I think it speaks for itself.

6 comments

Cart #ninjaboygoestoschool-0 | 2024-04-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A really short game about ninja boy

Every day you have to help ninja boy go to school before time runs out

19 days of school

Move with arrows

Jump and double jump with C

9 comments

Cart #powmine-0 | 2024-04-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pow Mine is a simple SHUMP style game of skill.

The Dark Matter is flowing past, a single touch will END your run.

Use Mining Blaster with Z button and get a Speed Boost with X button.

Collect the Green Pows without getting vaporized by the dark Matter.

Just collect 128 Pow to fill the Pow Bar and win this game.

Note;
The code is just a bodged together mess, that should probably be ignored as a poor example, as I am still working out most simple stuff. Just getting up to speed developing stuff for PICO-8 a very fun dev tool.

0 comments

Cart #tinyronin-2 | 2024-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny Ronin šŸŽ‹

You are a tiny ronin cursed with immortality for the crime of killing 100 samurai. To regain mortality and escape the endless grind, you have sworn to kill 10,000 bandits. This is your story. It will never end.

Hold X to charge your sword and release to slash. Press Z to roll backwards and avoid incoming attacks. You can cancel your attacks with the roll or another attack.

To start a new run after death, you must clean your sword (hold X or Z).

There are now eight achievements to unlock. Three of them will change the look of the game.

Update 1

Rewind Selector!
With the first update you can now toggle the rewind feature in the PICO-8 pause menu. Turn it on to make enemies back off after a successful kill.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #puzzlemod-4 | 2024-04-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Skull and Roses

Cart #jugiganifo-1 | 2024-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Skull and Roses is adapted from the excellent Herve Marely card game Skull Link to BGG

Gameplay

Start of the hand

Each player chooses one card and places it face down on his mat.

Placement of cards: Place a card or challenge

Starting with the first player and going clockwise around the table, each player may either:

• Place another card face down on their mat
  • Or they may challenge. A player with no cards in hand must challenge.

Challenge: Pass or raise the bid

The player who issued the challenge bids the number of cards he intends to flip.
Going clockwise, each player must then either:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I'm new to Pico 8

Cart #gekwalking748neworange-0 | 2024-03-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been developing this simple game as a first project where you play as "GeK" a simple character that has animations when walking around, however i've found that when moving diagonally it makes the character faster than usual. This issue is very confusing to me and I know it has something to do with the Pythagorean theorem, and I need something called a "movement vector" My code is simple as it has a variable known as speed that is set to 1 and is used when pressing a direction to move by 1 pixel. The character also has a hat and tail that follows it and is supposed to be locked on at all times.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows the solution to my problem.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #uforide-1 | 2024-03-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cross the seas of blue.

Look the free birds fly.

Ride the UFO.

2 comments

Cart #cellesellec-0 | 2024-03-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

IWCTM

wdym trash??

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->