Cart #multtaskchicken-6 | 2024-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Pong but smol.

Cart #mini_pong-0 | 2024-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Snake game in PICO-8.

Cart #snakegame-0 | 2024-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #sandandotherstuff-0 | 2024-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A lil sand game I made when checking out cellular automata.

Controls
Mouse1: Place
Mouse2: Erase
X/Z: Material select

2 comments

Pong in PICO-8.

Cart #pong_game-1 | 2024-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

I wanted to share a few projects that I've been working on to prove out that making low-vision / blind accessible games is possible in PICO-8!

To get to the meat of it, here are the two games that my friend and I were able to put together that we built in prep for, and as a submission to the Games for Blind Gamers game jam:
Tiger & Dragon - https://jrjurman.itch.io/tiger-dragon

Lunch Gambit - https://jrjurman.itch.io/lunch-gambit

The games require a screen reader if you want to hear the text being read aloud, but the long and short of it is that the text on the right will be read out to screen readers. For people who might have trouble reading the text or need especially large fonts, the right side panel respects the font-size of the page, and allows players to zoom in if that would help readability.

The way that we were able to accomplish this is by having a special HTML template that reads the GPIO output from PICO-8 - pico-a11y-template

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

so the new picotron is finally out, and the browser version is no where to be seen! even though pico-8 and voxatron had browser versions! but I think that the reason lexaloffle cant make the browser version is just because they can't figure out what to do with the workstation, and I don't blame them! it would be hard to make it a seamless transition between the full version and the browser version, and the only way I could ever think of is using a default background and limiting use to just the cartridge. I hope lexaloffle will make the browser version one day to open the field to wider audiences!

3 comments

Cart #daw-9 | 2024-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Overview

PICO DAW is a digital audio workstation for creating PICO-8 tunes. If you've ever been frustrated by the piano style layout keyboard layout of the music editor or just wished you could draw your music, PICO DAW is for you. It's a mouse-based alternative for tune creation.

THIS CART IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND MINIMALLY TESTED. Consider it alpha. Save early and often! Please report any bugs you find.

Quick Start

1. Open the PICO-8 console and enter load #daw.
  2. Save the cart under a new name.
  3. Optional: Add any desired custom instruments in SFX slots 0 through 7.
  4. Edit music patterns for length, looping, channels, and SFX assignments.
  5. Edit SFX for length, speed, and filters.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #tripper_ost-0 | 2024-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the in-game OST for Wire Tripper.

https://kbones.itch.io/tripper

It's the second collaboration with Bones studios that I've done all of the audio design on. SFX, and music were all composed by me - DJ Tent Mode. It's the first time that I've used custom instruments in any meaningful way. I'm looking forward to trying out the Wavetable functionality in the next collaboration.

I hope that the cart's code itself can be helpful for aspiring PICO-8 musicians to repurpose. Having the structure of a "sound test mode" cart has been very helpful for my composition process and I hope someone else can get use out of it.

My favorite track is the tutorial tune, "Put it on my charge card" which uses the custom instruments to provide quite a bit more texture than what I felt was possible when I started writing PICO-8 music about 4 years ago.

0 comments

Cart #tweet_8-0 | 2024-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Well, use your eyes to enjoy...

• X for new layout
  • C to toggle layout

Its all made in 257 bytes or so, also I can make a version with fluids, where they drop down and fill it up.
Also is it just me, or the carts here are kinda broken?

Thanks for checking it out :)

7 comments

Hope this is the right place to post this. First time programmer, and I've been having a ton of fun trying to make a game in PICO-8.

I've been following Lazy Devs excellent Roguelike tutorial series on YouTube, but I've been running into a consistent issue.

For my game, I decided to make my player sprite 16x16. However, Lazy Devs' tutorial (and most of the ones I've seen online) assume an 8x8 character sprite. This is specifically giving me grief when it comes to collision. Right now, my player bounces off the walls on the top of the screen, and ignores collision entirely when moving left into them.

From what I can gather, the collision on a 16x16 sprite is calculated from the top left tile. Ideally, I'd love collision to be calculated from the bottom two tiles on the sprite. What's the best way to adjust/offset my collision to account for a larger sprite?

I've attached my cartridge to this post. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.

Cart #yabitadoh-0 | 2024-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

so i want to run pico 8 on my recalbox without an emulator, how would i do that? via ports?

6 comments

Cart #astrosmash2021-0 | 2024-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A Pico-8 port of astrosmash I made back in 2021.
For those interested, here's the source code: https://github.com/TheDuude420/AstroSmash-2021-Source-Code
Cart #astrosmash2021-0 | 2024-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

The left side is cut off on user profile pages as well

(sorry if this is the wrong subforum, couldn't find one that worked great)

1 comment

Cart #trichromat-0 | 2024-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this little puzzle game for a 2 week solo game jam. Enjoy!

15 comments

Cart #cardrandwhattnot-0 | 2024-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

<-, -> to move selection
X to select card

Rules

-you and your opponent both start at number 50.

-each round, two cards will be chosen randomly from the deck.

-you can choose and collect whichever you want by pressing X, and your number will be calculated as written on the card.

-the card you discarded will go to your opponent, changing their number.

-after 10 rounds, if your number is higher than your opponents', then you win!

0 comments

Cart #ninja_fruits-2 | 2024-03-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a fruit ninja demake. WIP

1 comment

I am trying to run PICO-8 on a Chromebook via the Linux support console Crostini. I have followed a guide (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36473) to get it to function, using both the linux x64 and x32 versions of PICO-8 but neither have worked, giving an error saying 'cannot execute binary file: Exec format error' when run. I am seeking support from other people who have experienced similar issues with running PICO-8 on Chromebook.

My system is running on V 122.0.6261.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) of Chrome OS and the laptop build is a Lenovo Duet 3. I have not set up any additional applications (let me know if any are needed) for this process aside from Crostini.

I am attempting to run v0.2.6b of PICO-8.

8 comments

Cart #marcelgoestovisitafriend_v1-2 | 2024-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help Marcel reach their friend to chill while the hero is away!

This is my first take at making a platformer. I spent all my time and effort on getting a character controller that felt good, so the story and visuals are very bare-bones (pun not intended but let's roll with it).

Controls

• Arrows to run
  • O/X to jump

The music can be turned off in the pause menu

Tips

• The longer you press the jump button, the higher you jump
  • During a wall slide, you can detach from the wall by pressing the down button
  • Similarly, you can go through one-way platforms by pressing the down button
  • Spikes don't hurt you if you move away from them

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->