x=_x,
 y=_y,
 w=_w,
 h=_h
 }
end

function get_cols(a)
 local gx,gy=flr(a.x/8),flr(a.y/8)
 local ex,ey=flr((a.x+a.w-1)/8),flr((a.y+a.h-1)/8)

local list={}
 for i=gx-1,ex+1 do
  for ii=gy-1,ey+1 do
   if fget(mget(i,ii),0) then
    add(list,box(i*8,ii*8,8,8))
   end
  end
 end

return list
end

function collide(a,_dx,_dy,list,side)

local ca={
  x=flr(a.x),
  y=flr(a.y),
  w=a.w,
  h=a.h
 }

for i=1,#list do
  local v=list[i]

if col(v,ca) then
   if _dx>0 then
    a.x=v.x-a.w
    side["right"]=true
   elseif _dx<0 then
    a.x=v.x+v.w
    side["left"]=true
   end

if _dy>0 then
    a.y=v.y-a.h
    side["down"]=true
   elseif _dy<0 then
    a.y=v.y+v.h
    side["up"]=true
   end

end

end

end

--diss code expects that "a" have a
--dx and dy 

function move(a)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=141827#p)
0 comments

Cart #colourdogame-2 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #colourdogame-0 | 2024-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Color dog is an experimental game that has no objectives other than making a dog colorful, I hope you have a fun experience with this game and have a few minutes of happiness.
Cart #colourdogame-4 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #ghettobastler_space_basher-0 | 2024-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! This is Space Basher, a game about clearing space debris using a tool that has way too much recoil.

How to play

Move around using the D-pad and grab a debris by holding X. While grabbing, you can adjust the angle of your slice with Left and Right. Releasing X slices the debris in two, and sends you flying in the opposite direction.

Slicing depletes your ship's battery, leaving it unresponsive and without a shield. Hitting a debris without your shield up damages your ship. Three hits without a shield will destroy your ship.
Moving or grabbing a debris for too long will also deplete your ship's energy

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hey @zep since you're testing version 0.2.6 on BBS I assume you could be interested in these weird bugs/glitches that are breaking a grand total of 4 out of my 6 game carts.

I immediately downloaded version 0.2.6 of the desktop app to bugfix them but they run perfectly fine on app!?!?
Links to carts having issues (unplayable):

Dinky Kong (featured)
Jungle Ping (featured)
Head-8n
Legend of Kuna

I think you can tell the intended vs broken behaviour as well comparing how they run on App vs on BBS.
As you can see the main issue (especially for the first 3) is that starting the actual game (⭕️ button) the _update seems to behave correctly, you can hear game sounds, while _draw shows the main screen (although they basically rely on the same conditions). The first two also show blank during title screen and it appears during the game. Jungle ping after losing a few lives starts showing something of the actual gameplay.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Greetings dudes and dudettes,

this is a super small game I've written for a small tech talk for my colleagues. It's not polished and its' entire purpose is to have something to show while I talk 5 minutes about pico 8 and its core features.

Have a nice day!

controls

X to shoot,
arrow to steer and de/accelerate

0 comments

Cart #psaferka-1 | 2024-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #shmup_1k_werxzy-0 | 2024-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After seeing LokiStriker's and Achie's shmups made in 1024 compressed bytes, I wanted to give it a go.

Here's the uncompressed source code.

--1k shmup
--werxzy

-- enemy data
ty=split("⁶:425affffe7662400,0.01,0,7,0,0.3,0,-0.0001,2,5,5`⁶:425affffe7662400,0.01,0,7,0,1.1,0,-0.01,1,3,3`⁶:22227f7f2a361c08,0,0,9,0,0.3,0,0.02,4,1,3`⁶:425affffe7662400,0,0,13,0,0.1,0,0,3,30,20`⁶:3c42bdbdbda5423c,0,0,5,0,0.25,0,-0.0005,5,20,25","`")
-- bullet data
bty=split("●,1,0,0,0.8,1,60`✽,1,-15,15,0.4,3,200`✽,0,-120,10,0.4,7,100`\feミ,0,0,180,1,2,20`✽,1,0,36,1,10,30","`")
cartdata"shm1k_werx"
function _init()

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=141804#p)
0 comments

Welcome to Little Chemist!

Based on the game "Little Alchemy 2"

---Still in beta mode---
Couple issues I have to fix: (Please let me know if any other issues to fix)

1.When first loading the game for the first time ever, do not press "resume" otherwise you
get an error. Resume is only if you have save the game.
2.Also for now when saving, delete the elements from the 'mix elements' before saving.

--Here is the "Hint Enabled" version--

This version his the hint enabled. This means that all the elements/items are shown and your goal is to find what elements are needed to create the grayed out elements/items.

Cart #littlechemisthint-0 | 2024-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #pendulum-1 | 2024-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pendulum

Controls: X & C

This is my first attempt ever to make a game.

I was aiming to create a short metroidvania-like game, but with a high difficulty level.

You'll notice graphics and sound effects are not my expertise at all.

But I hope you guys like it.

4 comments

Cart #alien_fighter-3 | 2024-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Alien Fighter

Description

You have a spaceship. Use it to valiantly fight waves of enemies of increasing number. Collect health powerups to keep going. Dodge enemy shots. Fight bosses!

Controls

❎: Shoot.
➡️: Turn right.
⬅️: Turn left.
⬆️: Go forwards.
⬇️: Stop
Menu
music on/off: turns music on/off
sfx on/off: turns sound effects on/off

Goals

• Enemy spawns.
  • Waves.
  • Pickups.
  • Different screens (i.e., start and game over)
  • Bosses.
  • More enemy variation.

Thanks to https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=22756#p for the ship rotation!

Updates

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

PICO-8 will gladly accept export("sfx_%x_%d.wav") because the string argument contains %d, but the format string is not sanitised and the SFX index will be caught by %x, and %d will then pick who knows what memory location.

Funny things can also happen with %s, %*s etc.; export("%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%d") is almost a guaranteed crash.

0 comments

Cart #tetris_pico8_edition-0 | 2024-02-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi!

I've made this game to practice my code couple of months ago.
Tetris was, at this time, kind of "the big wall of dev" for me.

The game is far from perfect, but I'm not sure I'll work on it again.

v2:
I've had some Sfx here and there, also try to make the controls (L/R) more fast.

Enjoy :)

-

6 comments

Cart #retro_clock-1 | 2024-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first cart release. Ever. Just a little tool I built for myself, because I thought all of the desktop clocks and stopwatches I found for Windows were ugly. Therefore, meet Retro Clock, a nixie-inspired desktop clock and stopwatch for the PICO-8 fantasy console:

It shows the time in a pleasant, retro-futuristic way. It shows your current system time and the corresponding offset to UTC, as well as the current date. If you press the UP button, you can toggle between daylight saving time (DST) or normal time.

Pressing X will bring up stopwatch mode. You can start and stop the stopwatch by pressing X. Pressing X again will resume where the stopwatch left off. Pressing O resets the stopwatch. You can return to the simpler clock-only view by pressing LEFT.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #cyberlike_1_10_1-0 | 2024-03-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Playtest and proof of concept for upcoming roguelike, made with @Krystman 's LazyDevs Porklike tutorial.

MEDIUM-SIZED UPDATE 24 MAR 24

More graphics, sounds, and quality of life juice!

CHARACTERS:

LoRA: Has a good base strength, but no stealth. Repels enemies, who get damaged if they collide with something.

V1p3R: Has great stealth but no strength. Dashes through enemies.

CONTROLS:

O(C/Z) to bring up menu and confirm.
X ( X ) to use your special ability or to cancel.

ERROR CODES

If you flatline, you'll receive an error code, and the name of the data construct that caused it. The parts of the error code are, in order,

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #yijomzeti-0 | 2024-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first game I made to learn PICO-8. It has been sitting on my hard disk for a couple of months now, so I've decided it's best to share it as a WIP and gather feedback to further develop it.

The game is a prototype for a fixed-screen action platformer, featuring a various types of enemies, moving platforms, power-ups and a will be NPC.

2 comments

Cart #mborugahu-0 | 2024-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Examples of the shape functions for my middle school computer science class.

0 comments

It took me a while -- as in, time spent inspecting code and debugging app -- to realize that cls(a) ignores prior pal(a,b) calls, hence filling the screen with a.

Assuming this is not a bug, it would be good to mention this in the docs for that function.

Cheers.

3 comments

EDIT: I made a text guide! You can read it here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=140366

I learned how to make a minimal Raspberry Pi OS image for the Pi Zero W that boots up and goes straight into PICO-8, no desktop or anything. I could maybe upload a .img of it or just make a video tutorial. I can't find any current distro that does just this, only PicoPi, which isn't officially supported anymore. I don't make content or have an online presence or anything, I just thought maybe someone should do it. What do you all think?

EDIT: Feel like I should clarify that one would have to provide their own PICO-8 but once it's in the right place it runs it after booting. I wouldn't include it in my .img file

4 comments

edit: latest version all objects check all objects and transfer momentum

Cart #nonmapbasedcollisions-2 | 2024-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

edit: forgot cart

Cart #nonmapbasedcollisions-0 | 2024-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

edit: solved!
Cart #nonmapbasedcollisions-1 | 2024-02-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Rise of the blob : 1.4 : one more fix [GOTY]

Cart #riseoftheblob-4 | 2024-04-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first try to do an hand made metroidvania without violence
dont hesitate to share me any bug or problem in order to increase the quality !

and of course share your best time or death count !

control at begin is:

• x to jump
  • left right to control
  • x + down to pass throught semi solid platform

1.1 : some level design fixes, more color to see the power up, enjoy
1.2 : various fixes (better collision, better scrolling)
1.3 : add easy mode
1.4 : One more fix (last version have crash ! what a shame)

9 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->