BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #lofi_gymnopedies-0 | 2024-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

classic tunes & chill beats

created by Eric Billingsley for the PICO-8 Free Music Jam

original compositions by Erik Satie

cover art inspired by Portrait of Erik Satie at the harmonium by Santiago Rusiñol and lofi girl by Juan Pablo Machado

thanks to Packbat and Bikibird for organizing the jam and providing the sample album cart

licensed under CC4-BY-NC-SA

instructions

to use in your pico-8 game, first copy over sfx 0-7, the custom instruments (you can copy these easily from the pico-8 music tab in sfx view, though you may need to use the sfx tab to paste)

then, in the pattern view, copy over the patterns for the track(s) you need -- this should automatically copy over the needed sfx as well

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Tampoon!

Cart #tampoon_ver1-0 | 2024-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ever wondered how the work of a tampon feels like? Here you go! A classic catcher game! Have fun!

Get the cart, play it right here right now or play on itch.io

0 comments

Cart #ravens_rood-11 | 2024-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Excavate the temple of a lost civilization. Fill each well to receive an ancient scroll. Learn the most sacred of all songs: the Raven's Rood.

This is an implementation of the solitaire game Fortune's Foundation, originally released in 2022 by Zachtronics. No expense was spared or taken in providing immersive keyboard controls, intricate chiptune audio, and a handful of tiny lizard pictures.

Content warning: postcolonial themes, narrative violence.

5 comments

Cart #timer_dfuha-0 | 2024-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi Everyone!
I am a rookie in coding and pico-8.
To get better I made this 'small' app to practice!

Controls:
You can move around in the menu by using: ⬅️➡️
To add or subtract hours, minutes and seconds use these buttons: ⬆️⬇️
To click on an option you can use either ❎ or 🅾️

Notes:
I am pretty happy with how the custom numbers turned out. It was a whole challenge to get it working though 😅.

The countdown works by removing a bit from a variable every update. The standard update works 30 times a second, which can't be neatly divided into a whole number. So the result is not 100% accurate, but it should be around 99% accurate! There are most likely ways of making the code simpler and smaller, but making everything was already a big enough challenge for me 😊.

Thanks for checking my first submission out!

0 comments

Cart #cinnamon_chicken-0 | 2024-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cinnamon Chicken

My first full game through is a platformer where you are a chicken and you have to reach the cinnamon buns. Its not the best game ever but imo I just needed to finish it and move on.

Controls

x - jump
z - glide
arrow keys to move

Credits

Me

6 comments

Cart #sutiyayupe-0 | 2024-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #zaffsad-0 | 2024-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

The Wave

A simple and relaxing experiment how to draw a wave. Now just some clouds, a ship, and some music is needed...

Cart #the_wave_wip_v00-1 | 2024-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

We have a hackathon-type event at my company that we call Dev Days where we are given four full days to work on anything we want as long as it is tech-related. It does not have to be relevant to your day-to-day job at all. I usually stick to work-related side-projects, but this time I decided to do something purely for fun and try my hand at making a PICO-8 game! I had purchased a license years ago to see if it was something my son would be interested in learning and I had always been interested in trying it out myself, but inspiration had yet to strike. In any case, here's what I was able to come up with in four days (plus most of a weekend).

Cart #mowermania-4 | 2024-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #rojohisibu-0 | 2024-02-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cool sine wave B)

0 comments

Cart #mfontutil-0 | 2024-02-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A custom font utility cartridge. Like #font_snippet operates on fonts drawn as sprites, but:

1. Supports variable-width font attributes;
  2. Supports copying from fonts to the spritesheet; and
  3. Provides utility command functions meant to be run from the pico-8 prompt.

The command functions are:

democfont() – load the custom font from the spritesheet and print demo text using it.

loadfont() - load the custom font from the spritesheet. Only pixels with color 7 transfer. Sprite 0 sets base font attributes: one row per attribute byte. A font is made variable-width by setting pixel (0, 5), in which case:

1. base width and height are calculated automatically, and sprite 0 values add as padding instead;

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #subufrita-0 | 2024-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #residence_evil_v1_1-1 | 2024-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a 2D procedurally generated platformer created in 42 hours for the ShefJamX hackathon where the prompt was "go big or go home"

Some specific high points of this project were

Getting procedural generation of level layouts working with functional physics and collision throughout
A fully custom soundtrack and SFX
Learning how to use spritesheets and basic optimization
Using carddata to create a save game to store high scores
This project was our first time using LUA and PICO-8

1 comment

Here's some code to add a old CRT monitor effect over your HTML-published carts.

I read an article recently about how low-res graphics looked better/softer on old CRT monitors and TVs, so did some googleing and found an effect you can apply via Cascading Style Sheets to your HTML-published game.

When you've export my_game.html open up the .html file in a text editor and add the following inside a STYLE tag near the top of the file:

@keyframes flicker {
  0% {
    opacity: 0.27861;
  }
  5% {
    opacity: 0.34769;
  }
  10% {
    opacity: 0.23604;
  }
  15% {
    opacity: 0.90626;
  }
  20% {
    opacity: 0.18128;
  }
  25% {
    opacity: 0.83891;
  }
  30% {
    opacity: 0.65583;
  }
  35% {
    opacity: 0.67807;
  }
  40% {
    opacity: 0.26559;
  }
  45% {
    opacity: 0.84693;
  }
  50% {

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=141388#p)
0 comments

Cart #smbdemo-9 | 2024-05-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

V1.02 --Added Minus World
V1.03 --Fixed minus world bugs, completed scoring system, tweaked jump physics

This is a demo for my Pico-8 port of Super Mario Bros., and it includes all of World 1, along with the secret 'minus world'. I plan to reskin the game before a full release to avoid potential Cease-and-Desist letters, but wanted to give people a taste of it in its original form. Also, not everything is quite finished, and I figured this would be a good way to get some playtesting and feedback, so please let me know if you encounter any bugs.

Special thanks to:

• Jwinslow23 for composing the music and many of the sound effects
  • Zep for his PX9 compression system

[ Continue Reading.. ]

29 comments

Cart #little_knight_1-3 | 2024-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little platformer made with this starter kit!

Story

You are a knight who must venture down to the goblin dungeons.
You must make your way through the dungeon to rescue your king.

Tricks

Against the boss:

Just stand in front of him and attack.

For maximum speeds:

Every time you die the time resets. Use this to your advantage!
(If this is disliked it can be removed.)

To enable Easy Mode:

TAB+Q

Please post any bugs you find.

0 comments

Pseudo

Cart #pseudo001-0 | 2024-02-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Overview

This is a work in Progress, new versions should *1 arrive later.
Pseudo is named so for the fade mechanic witch will be somewhat similar to the hyperspace in Asteroids
Please inform me of bugs, it helps a lot!

Controls:

• Arrows to move
  • X to fade ( Not fully implemented as of 0.0.1 )
  • O/Z [ Debug ] spawn wavy enemies

Enemies:

• Blue / Left-Right:
    Bounce like the ball in pong, they don't move fast so they aren't much of a problem.
  • Red / Finder:
    Track the player and whip around the screen occasionally. pose a significant threat but are quite small
  • Orange / Wavy:
    Bounce around the screen on the vertical axis they become more aggressive in speed when the player is further away.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #tresorduparchemin-16 | 2024-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #tresorduparchemin-14 | 2024-02-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #tresorduparchemin-9 | 2024-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #tresorduparchemin-0 | 2024-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

67 comments

Cart #deserialization_v1-0 | 2024-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cart is a simple routine to deserialize a string into a table value. I know that there are other routines out there but this routine is simple and small. No serialization routine is give as it is assumed that the text is entered manually. If a list of items is added then remember that a final ',' is needed to actually add the item to the table.

4 comments

Cart #donswelt_144floors-0 | 2024-02-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

144 Floors

Welcome to the Silo. You are a porter and you have to deliver your parcels to the recipients who live and work on 144 floors. Start your shift and work 24 floors or take on the big challenge from floor 1 to floor 144. But beware! Competing porters will try to steal your parcels and keep the tips for themselves. Good thing you are prepared for the Law of the Stairs: Battle by dice! Every confrontation is decided by a round of High Low. That's how the ancestors of the Silo declared it, and that's how it must be done.

How?

D-pad or arrow keys to go up and down the stairs.
D-Pad or arrow keys to place your bet (up: higher or down: lower)
Buttons or z, x to use a smartbomb (auto-win)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->