-3 bosses
-7 items
-6 types of projectiles

5 comments

Cart #catfacts-0 | 2024-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Catfacts!
50 weird but true cats about facts

11 comments

Hi all, I recently started tinkering with PICO-8 which is amazing, but coming from a Unity background, I'm still wrapping my head around it. I've been trying to put together a little ecs framework for me to use in prototypes which is more Unity-like than some of the ecs snippets I've seen on this forum (I'm sure those are better once you're used to the way PICO-8 does things, I'm just trying to make a stepping stone). I thought for the purposes of devs like me wanting to learn things in a bit more of a familiar way, I might as well share what I've learned. Unlike the ecs frameworks I've seen so far which use pattern matching for running methods, I've tried to make the "components" here self contained, and then adding that functionality to the entity table. With no custom components (which need to be made to actually use this) it comes to 108 tokens

Very rough library code below:

-- all the entities in the game
entities = {}

-- entity "constructor" - returns an entity which is really just a table of components with 

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=140595#p)
0 comments

This was my submission to Mini Jam 150, made in a weekend then augmented with some slight additions based on community feedback. A strategy game, combining chesslike action with roguelite progression, it features

• A complete achievement system
  • Unlockable items tied to achievements
  • Several battles of varying difficulty
  • Six unit types
  • Multiple save files

Cart #bubibajori-0 | 2024-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #yyatuweda-0 | 2024-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game I made mostly from scratch on PICO-8. The only code that isn't mine is a collision detection function made by ztiromoritz on github.

The only thing this game includes is a controllable ship and coins that you can collect.

0 comments

Cart #pico_dodge-6 | 2024-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico-Dodge

A small Pico-8 game, based on an android game I coded in university during a 48h hackathon.

Changelog

2024-01-29

• Fix pause / jump simultaneously bug

2024-01-26

• Switched to button press for pause and gameover
  • small cloud sprite adjustment

2024-01-25

• Adjusted ducking sprites to better fit with hitbox
  • Changed color design
  • Added mountains background
  • Shadow now also animated while jumping
  • Some code refactoring on player movement
  • Improved collision detection (hitbox feels more precise)

2024-01-24

• Added clouds
  • Added highscore incl. saving & loading

2024-01-20

• Added birds

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Floating island Blocks

I dont know why but I really CANT stop watching this

• One is smaller because The Cpu could not handel the houses, Trees etc..
  • I like both.
  • To enjoy them correctly use your eyes to watch the pixels change color.
  • The smaller one has a random terrain, so reset the cart to get a new island

Thanks for checking it out :)

5 comments

Cart #kaido-4 | 2024-01-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Music by @Gruber, from Pico-8 Tunes Vol. 2 <3

5 comments

Cart #lights_zavale-0 | 2024-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

LIGHTS

my first pico game

menu:

puzzle generation

gameplay

Controls

pretty straight forward, use the arrows to choose a node and X or O to rotate it

Rules

in relax mode, just choose the size of the puzzle and get to it, at your own pace, every puzzle is virtually unique so keep playing the same size if you enjoy it

for the competitive people, record mode will let you play all the puzzle sizes from smallest to largest and time you, once you finished all of them you get to save your time in the leaderboard (I managed to finish in around 350 seconds, but I think I can do better)

Behind the Scenes

runs a bfs algorithm way too many times, but it works so...

Credits

we'll get someone for the music and sound fx soon,,
based on a game I had to make for school around 4 years ago (which was based on older games),
enjoy!

12 comments

A simple maze exploration game I made. The goal is to find your way out of the forest maze before time runs out.

Cart #bandit_escape-0 | 2024-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The main purpose of this was to make some slightly more complex music, and draw slightly better cartridge art (though it's still pretty bad). I also wanted to try out a multi-screen game that used the map editor and had actual map collisions. My previous games just had the player stop once they reached a certain x value. Code is kind of messy and the collisions aren't working exactly how I want, but I'll fix that with future games. Probably.

4 comments

screen={{},{}}

for y = 1,18 do
for x = 1,18 do
screen[x][y] = 1
end
end

Trying to create a 2 dimensional array and fill the grid with a value of 1. But I'm getting and error.

Can anyone help me with this please?

3 comments

Wavie thing

Cartridge:

Cart #tweet5-0 | 2024-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's not in a tweet cart format yet, but I will make it soon

How to enjoy:

• Use Your eyes to locate the game
  • Use your mouse or mouse pad to press the button on the game
  • Again, use your eyes to watch the moving thing on the screen
  • Have fun watching

Thanks for reading :)

2 comments

room-??

Cart #huh-0 | 2024-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #zafazinupo-7 | 2024-03-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Link to game on itch.io here.

The original jam version is down below!

Cart #zafazinupo-0 | 2024-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

8 comments

Shimmerscale

NOW IN GLORIOUS QUADRACOLOR

Consuming 239 chars because I didn't bother to minify further:

cls(13)s=sin
a=12b=4
::_::
t=time()/4
for i=0,36 do 
for j=0,42 do
r=(i+1.4*j)/64
m=12*s(t+r)
x=-8+4*i+3.4*s(t+r-.25)
y=-20+4*j+8*s(r)
if(btn(❎))a=11b=5
if(btn(🅾️))a=12b=4
o=a+(i/3+j/3+t*16)%b
line(x,y-m,x+1,y-m+s(t+r+.75),o)
end
end
goto _

Press ❎ to activate CHROMATOSIS:
An experimental bleeding-edge 5-color mode

Feel free to use/modify this effect for your projects!

a is the starting color and b is how many subsequent colors in the palette to use, so you can alter this to use any colors you want using pal({}) and those two variables. Note that the effect relies on not using cls() so this would be best suited to a splash screen or menu, or for use with clip()

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #mylovelywifevs100draculas_1-2 | 2024-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My Lovely Wife vs. 100 Draculas

a small game by Chris 'Turd Boomerang' Armstrong

One hundred Draculas are after my lovely wife! Put your combat gardening skills to work as you behead, dismember, and devour wave after wave of undead Transylvanian counts.

Movement: P2 D-Pad (ESDF on the keyboard)
Aiming and Shooting: P1 D-Pad (Arrow Keys on the keyboard) or Mouse Left Button

Updates:

1/24/24

The latest version of "My Lovely Wife vs. 100 Draculas" adds two new menu items.

The "Swap Controllers" option was suggested and implemented by RealShadowCaster. You can now swap the movement and shooting control inputs - allowing you to move with the arrow keys and shoot with ESDF if that feels more comfortable.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #distant_galaxy-0 | 2024-01-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"Distant Galaxy" catapults players back to the golden era of arcade gaming, rekindling the nostalgia of classics like Galaga and Space Invaders. Embark on a cosmic journey as a fearless fighter pilot, armed with powerful missiles and a heart full of courage (5 heart-fulls to be exact!). Prepare to traverse the uncharted realms of the universe, where the stars twinkle in 8-bit brilliance and the galaxies hum with an energetic chip-tune soundtrack.

In Distant Galaxy, you'll face off against legions of adorable yet menacing alien hordes as you bob and weave through the chaos of their attacks. But beware – the universe is not all fun and games. Encounter disgusting mini-bosses and colossal cyclops commanders, and put your reflexes to the test as you navigate the cosmic battlefield. So, gear up, pilot – the universe awaits your pixelated heroics in this heart-pounding, eye-catching, and downright fun blast from the past!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #backdrop-16 | 2024-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Backdrop is a match-3 style puzzle game which emphasizes thoughtful moves. There is no timer, and you can plan your moves at your own leisure.

The Goal

The goal is to clear the vexed blocks - the ones with the bothered border. You can't interact with vexed blocks directly, so they must be cleared by other means.

The Rules

There are four colors. Each block has an back and center color. Your cursor has a color as well.

Move your cursor with the directional buttons. Press the X/O action buttons to swap your cursor color with the selected block's back or center color, respectively.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Cart #retromachine-0 | 2024-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game, made mostly for learning purposes, following Lazydevs tutorials and taking snippets of code here and there from the community.

There are five levels to complete before times runs out. Each time you crash into another car you lose 3 seconds. You will lose control of the car for a short while if you drive onto an oil stain.
Bonus points are awarded for each overtaking after you pass 10 cars without accidents and without getting oil stains.

Controls:

use arrow keys to accellerate (up) ad to steer right/left.

Credits:

this game took me a while, so I can't remember where I took what.. I can only give credits to Lazydevs and all the beautiful pico-8 community!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

The sin() and cos() functions seem to be using some kind of lookup table at ¼ the number resolution, with clamping. It is easy to use linear interpolation instead and improve the precision of these functions by calling them twice:

function trig(f,x)
  local a, b = f(x & 0x.fffc), f(x | 0x.0003)
  return a + (b - a) * (x << 14 & 0x.c)
end
function xsin(x) return trig(sin,x) end
function xcos(x) return trig(cos,x) end

@zep I think PICO-8 could very well do this internally, as the extra cost seems negligible. The same goes with atan2(), especially since in that case it is significantly more difficult to do in PICO-8 user land.

Cart #precise_sincos-1 | 2024-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->