BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #teddblumonv6-2 | 2024-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been working on this project for quite some time now. Its a very ambitious project that aims to make a monster-catching game akin to the gen 1 and 2 Pokemon games. v6 is the first one I'm showing off. All it has is a complicated map compression system and some nice map physics. current features include:

• text engine
  • simple battle engine (to be rewritten)
  • simple mon, move, and team data (to be rewritten)
  • custom map scrolling system
  • map and object collision
  • objects with node based ai system
  • nodes for opening text box, asking yes/no question
  • map data decompression
  • teleporting player to different maps/positions via node

if anyone has any advice i'd be happy to take it. this project has 2 main goals: to push pico-8 (and myself) to its limits, and to create a mon game that has all the charm of pokemon while doing better in the things gamefreak does poorly (like graphics, mechanics, story, etc.). I want to make a whole YT video on this stuff but there were 5 other iterations and i wanted to get something about this game out there.
I'm not too ready for ideas for mons, story, ect. since im avoiding scope creep and I also want to find a good way to credit outside help (pretty hard to fit alot in an already cramped game). But I do want to give some famemons and fanmons a home in my game.

0 comments

Cart #raycaster2_v32-0 | 2024-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

ESDF to move and strafe
Horizontal arrows to look around

How it was made

Take the player position plus a multiplication of their angle and see if that spot had a wall,
if it does take that distance and scale it on to the screen.
Change the angle a little each time and put it at a different x coordinate.
That's the basics, i'm not great at explaining it and its hard to understand without graphics.
Take apart the code, I insist! I think I removed all the weird comments that I wrote when I got
bored, but no promises. :3

Video modes

Big is wide but doesn't draw very far.
Med is what you think it is.
Small is well small, but draw farther.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

One of the basic problems you might want to solve in doing PCM synthesis is limiting a signal to the range between -1 and +1. Obviously you can just use a mid() function to get hard clipping - the value just locks to the endpoints - but this often has unpleasant side effects. For example, if you hard clip the output, the sound will snap abruptly from smooth to harsh as the volume increases, with very little transition between these. So, people often want to round off that transition, let the sound get gradually harsher, and one of the smoothest options is to use the tanh - hyperbolic tangent - function. Looking at a graph of this function, you can see that it smoothly transitions from reproducing the original x value to squishing it between -1 and 1, just as we often want.

So, I did a bit of experimenting today with sine waves and came up with the following code snippet:

--to use table:
-- tanh = lut[x\0x.01] or sgn(x)

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=140078#p)
0 comments

Cart #kwikrick_aisaboteur-0 | 2024-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Evil Corporate AI's have taken over. Infiltrate their data centers and blow those AI cores to bits.

Music by the amazing Gruber.

Originally created for TriJam. This is a rework with more levels, more mechanics and new graphics.

0 comments

Cart #bounce_run-1 | 2024-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bouncing ball endless runner WIP. My first game :D

Controls

One button controls, hold press x or up to double jump

Rules

Endless runner, avoid enemies to increase your score

Momentum is conserved, try double jumping for several bounces and see yourself get higher

0 comments

Cart #collisionexf-0 | 2024-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple example of collision detection. Take a look. Examine the code. I hope it helps!

CHANGE LOG:

1/2/2024 - Initially published.

1 comment

Description

Slug Ballet is an interactive demo that allows you to customize and control slugs of all shapes and colors. You can have up to 32 of them dancing together in a perfectly synchronized fashion!

Cart #slug_ballet-1 | 2024-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

Ballet Mode

šŸ…¾ļø to switch between player/automatic control of the slugs

ā¬…ļø/āž”ļø to control the slugs if player control is enabled
ā¬†ļø/ā¬‡ļø to add/remove slugs (you can go from 1 to 32)

āŽ button to open the customization menu

Customization menu

āŽ to get back to ballet mode

ā¬…ļø/šŸ…¾ļø/āž”ļø to interact with the selectors
ā¬†ļø/ā¬‡ļø to navigate through selectors

Customization Menu

You can have up to 16 styles in action at once. You can see which style you are currently editing at the top of the screen, and there is an "all" toggle to edit every style at once (press ā¬…ļø when on style 0 to toggle it). The first parameter is the effect that is applied to the slug. Depending on the effect you choose, different selectors will appear, and you can interact with them to try out different styles. You can also randomize the style you are editing and tweak it at will. There are also two global parameters, background color and speed.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

a pico-8 cover of "browser history" by graham cartna
featuring moony, ena and grena (trademark) from the hit tv show ena dream bbq

Cart #enabrowserhistory-0 | 2024-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #snowscape_fixer-0 | 2024-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game was created for the New Year New Skills Game jam in the span of approximately 5 days. (I had to finish the jam early).

The theme of the Jam was "Creating Connections".

Snowscape Fixer

Snowscape Fixer is a simple platformer where you go around the map and fix telephone poles.

It is set in a time when phone lines were still important and when today's modern appliances all seem like science fiction.

The main protagonist has the unfortunate luck of working on Christmas with an overly chatty radio operator. He definitely does not want to be there but the job is to be done.

Jump and walk through the levels as the weather gets progressively worse on your journey.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #lametopdown-0 | 2024-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This Is My First Pico-8 Program, A Lame Pico-8 Top-Down Engine. Can Be Used In Your Games, But You Might Have 145 Free Tokens.

Do Not Ask Why It Is An Among Us Character, I Was Idealess.

I Am Also Working On JAA. Just Be Pacient.

0 comments

>

Cart #gameoflife-0 | 2024-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

JAME CONWAY's GAME OF LIFE

THANKS FOR PLAYING

RULES :

Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies, as if by underpopulation.
Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives on to the next generation.
Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies, as if by overpopulation.
Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours becomes a live cell, as if by reproduction.

More on <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life"; >Wikipedia</a>

Choose the grid size, then draw your cells
Left click on a color to set cells color

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #breakthrough-0 | 2024-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Breakthrough

You can control the bouncy ball and break the blocks.

This was made for the 1k Jam.
I kinda forgot to upload it here, so now its on the bbs as well.

Controls:

• Arrow keys to move around
  • Down to accelerate downwarts
  • C to open the menu
  • D to mute the repeating sound
  • Going outside the screen will warp you to the opposite side

Controls in the menu:

• Up and Down to chosse a difficulty
  • X to start the Game

Thanks for playing :)

0 comments

Cart #pack_tactics-2 | 2024-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to Pack Tactics!

Pack Tactics is a party game for 1-6 players* where you each captain a submarine and hunt your target, without them managing to track and hunt you! The game is sort of the inverse of battleship. You need to try and remember where your own ship is, even if you can see your enemies. You can ping to locate yourself and nearby subs, but then everyone knows where you are!
A 2 player campaign is included with 16 levels, but I recommend playing Custom Scenarios with more friends once you get the basics down. PVP is very entertaining.

* I haven't thoroughly tested 6 player games because my computer doesn't have 6 USB ports.

Queueing for play.

Once a level is chosen, the game will prompt all players to press the fire key šŸ…¾ļø and confirm they are active. All inactive players will be controlled by Ally AI, unless the game detects it is a PVP scenario. In which case uncontrolled players will become grey enemy AI.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #kumatoripbes-1 | 2024-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Kumatori Panic inspired by the cover created by eat sleep meep

https://linktr.ee/eatsleepmeep

Rescue all the chicken before they become some nuggets. The game is a kind of snake game but with a bear and chicken....

3 comments

I Wanna See If Pico 8 Was Easy To Make And How It Was Made, Because I Want To Make My Own Fantasy Console

2 comments

A lot of old games save space by using the same data for multiple purposes. I’ve seen code used as graphics, code inside graphics, graphics containing map data, and was daydreaming what parts of pico8 could be interesting to use as double purpose.
The game thumbnail seems very promising : 128x128 32 Colors is 10Kb worth which is pretty big for pico8.
There ´s nohing in the api related to it, just a keyboard shortcut to save the current screen to it. It’s hidden when using the built in editor, but you can see it when viewing a .p8 file.

I’m a newbie in lua, and don’t know if it’s a valid lua section, or maybe a type of multi line named comment designed for documentation for example.
Or maybe it’s just part of the .p8 format and never passed to the interpreter ?
If there’s a way in code to interact with it, I’d love to know.
Or maybe the source code is somehow in the scope of the program and can be opened and parsed ?

8 comments

Hi, all! I've been making Pico-8 stuff for a while and putting it in various places but I decided to finally start uploading it here and trying to be part of this community.

This is Bouncy's Winter Solstice Ride, another greeting card game I sent to my friends and family over the holidays last year. It's a game about sledding around and delivering presents to all the animals in your village.

Cart #bouncys_winter_solstice_ride-0 | 2024-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

3 comments

Hi, all! I've been making Pico-8 stuff for a while and putting it in various places but I decided to finally start uploading it here and trying to be part of this community.

This is Maximum Overdrive 2, which I made for PiCoSteveMo, a game jam themed around the works of Stephen King. It's a non-combat roguelike in which you're trying to survive in a future where self-driving taxis have paved the entire planet.

Cart #maximum_overdrive_2-0 | 2024-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

This is Hop's Big Adventure In The Gift Dimension, which I made in 2022 as a Christmas greeting card game for my friends and family. It's a mash-up of Glider and VVVVVV.

Cart #hopmas_in_the_gift_dimension-0 | 2024-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

This post originally contained all four games I'm uploading but it looks like that's not how you make games available on the BBS, so I'm editing it and creating separate posts for each of them.

This is Basil's Adventure, which I made in 2016 as a Christmas present for my wife. It's a platformer in which you play a dog exploring a cave.

Cart #basils_adventure-0 | 2024-01-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->