BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hi,

I am having trouble programming sprites and collisions.
I am looking for a simple way of accomplishing it; I have tried tutorials on YouTube but there is no success.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 comments

Hello everyone! I've been confused for a long time, on how to make multiple pickups items using the same collision function. I want to use the map editor to place them, but give different values to them for example.
A healing potion: +5 health points
A gold coin: +2 money
Instead of all of them just giving +1. Thank you!

2 comments

Cart #shavian-1 | 2024-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Shavian Alphabet

Romanization and Custom Font

What is this?

The Shavian alphabet (also known as the Shaw alphabet) is a constructed alphabet conceived as a way to provide simple, phonemic orthography for the English language to replace the inefficiencies and difficulties of conventional spelling using the Latin alphabet. It was posthumously funded by and named after Irish playwright Bernard Shaw.

The cart contains:

• A custom 4x8 pixel font for rendering Shavian text in PICO-8
  • A chart for the romanization scheme used to type Shavian
  • An example text (the above paragraph) in standard English, Romanized Shavian, and proper Shavian

Why should I care?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #posseste-0 | 2024-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

posseste

M- Madeline? ...Is everything okay?

Disclaimer: Flashing lights

Thank you to the evercore team for all your hard work on evercore! This mod wouldnt be possible without your work.

5 comments

Cart #jepowojoti-0 | 2024-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first cart, this is a guessing "game" or flashcard type of study exercise to learn some basic notes for sheet music reading.

I've always struggled to learn the notes on the bass clef and in true programmer procrastination I have now created a tool to learn them (instead of actually learning them).

5 comments

this is my first attempt at doing a "real" game. Will keep working on it. Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed!

Cart #the_train_dilema-2 | 2024-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

edits:
added initial attempt of sound/sfx

0 comments

Hello everyone, how do I combat my sprite sheet, page 2 and 3, altering the lower part of the map, do they share the same data perhaps?
Is it not fixable at all? Please I am open to any response disappointing, or relieving. Thanks in advance.

2 comments

Cave Copter

Cart #cavecopter-0 | 2024-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In this game, you pilot a helicopter descending into a cave, and your goal is to get as deep inside as possible without crashing into the ceiling or floor.

Every 20 seconds, the speed of your helicopter will increase, so you will need to stay alert to not crash into the terrain!
The final speed increase is at 400 seconds, after that the game will not get any faster.
This game is a PICO-8 adaptation of the Wii homebrew game Helii.

2 comments

Cart #pressin_buttons-0 | 2024-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a first cartridge attempt. I wanted to experiment with high score saving and a simple single-screened timing game. Along the way I added semi-flexible level configs and a cheat code for selecting a level (think konami). I used exclusively built-in chars and shape drawing (no sprites) for simplicity. The code is a bit of a mess and I didn't add any sfx/music yet.

v2 will likely have better level balance and sfx/music, along with some code cleanup and any bugfixes that are needed.

Feedback appreciated, enjoy!

4 comments

Been working on a Tweetcart mimicking the old lines screensavers, and I've managed to get it pretty small--it's about 300 characters when all of the spaces are removed, but now I'm stuck, and can't figure out a way to shrink it any further.

Here's where I'm at so far:

a,b,c,d={},rnd,128,flr
for i=1,5 do
  a[i]={x=b(c),y=b(c),w=b(c),h=b(c),p=d(b(4)),z=d(b(4)),l=i+7,m=mid,t=c}
end
::_::
for _=1,1000 do pset(b(c),b(c),0) end
for _𝘦𝘯𝘷 in all(a) do
  d={[0]=1,-1,-1,1}
  line(x,y,w,h,l)
  x+=d[p]
  y+=d[(p-1)%4]
  w+=d[z]
  h+=d[(z-1)%4]
  p,z=x+y!=m(0,x,t)+m(0,y,t)and(p+1)%4or p,w+h!=m(0,w,t)+m(0,h,t)and(z+1)%4or z
end
flip()
goto _

This renders a result I'm happy with:

But it's just ~60 characters too long. :( Any one have any advice or suggestions on ways to reduce it further? I feel like there have to be some minimization techniques I'm missing.

9 comments

Cart #wurariyeka-0 | 2024-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Lexaloffle Pico-8 main page (https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php) appears to have a horizontal scrollbar at 100% scale both in maximized and windowed mode of Chrome browser (latest stable version).

I suppose it would be cool if the website layout was fixed at some point to remove this scollbar.

Have an above average 2024!

2 comments

Cart #riverdefence-1 | 2024-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

River Defence

Prevent the ships from reaching upriver by placing cannon at strategic positions.

Controls

• Up/Down to highlight an affordable cannon
  • X to select and again to place a cannon
  • Z to cancel selection
  • Up/Down/Left/Right to place a cannon

Also on itch.io: https://ggaughan.itch.io/river-defence

3 comments

A simple game I made to continue testing stuff out and start the new year running. Use left and right arrow keys to move. Z to shoot. If any rocks get past you or you crash into one, you lose.

Cart #path_paving-2 | 2024-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Hello,

I'm posting my second pico-8 game here! Note that it's still a work in progress.

This is a revival of a small game that some friends and I have made in 2009 for an assignment, in our first year as undergraduate students. A video of the original version can be found here.

The idea is that the player controls a polygon and has to hit the side of enemy polygons using their (the player's) vertexes, that is, their "tips", while protecting their own sides. The polygon is moved using arrow keys, and rotated using face buttons.

The force of impact plays a role on the damage, and when a side has received enough damage, it is destroyed and the polygon devolves into a polygon with one fewer side. For example, if it were a pentagon, then it becomes a square. However, if it was a triangle, then it's completly destroyed and dies. Damaged sides recover with time.

Edit: here's a gif to illustrate the damage

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #jetpac_pico-8 | 2024-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Demake of the classic 16k jetpac for the zx spectrum.

Collect your ship parts and drop them over the base to reassemble, then pickup and drop fuel to refuel.
There are 16 levels to complete.

12 comments

Cart #cat_mouse-0 | 2023-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #golfescape-0 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Golf Escape

In this 2D platformer with golf controls, you must aim, charge, then launch yourself around a dangerous abandoned power plant in order to save the worms!

Keyboard recommended.

Big thanks to Rory for contributing to sfx and art, to Polly for supporting me making this and to Connor, Ethan, Joe, Lasse, Polly, Rory and Ruri for play testing.

Also on itch.io:
https://davbo.itch.io/golf-escape

Davbo~

4 comments

"Help Monty the explorer rescue his pal Gerts from the clutches of the evil Py. An action adventure game with dangerous enemies, tricky boss fights, perplexing puzzles and a few fun characters to meet along the way."

The main aim of creating this was to simply finish writing a game!

I was helped by my 2 kids so BE WARNED that it contains some 'humour' that is slightly crude but I take the blame for the snake...

Enjoy!

Cart #monty_and_gerts-0 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

4 comments

Cart #crazytraffic-0 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Little traffic game.

Try to pass a certain number of cars within a certain time.

2 game modes:

• normal mode --> 20 levels
  • custom mode --> create and play your own level

Custom level is stored at 0x1000. It's also saved to the clipboard, so if you have made a fun level, you can share it here and I will add it to the game.

Credits: car sprite based on car of r/PixelArt

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->