BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

My first 3D game with pico-8.

How to play
1.) collect badges
2.) once 4 badges are collected you can prestige and unlock an additional 4 harder badges.
3.) go through rings to collect points
4.) if you miss a ring you lose points and time
5.) killing enemies increases how many points you earn when going through a ring
6.) there is a timer that can be increased by going through rings and killing enemies

Cart #sebufezb-0 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #pipozofobe-0 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm making a little physics engine nowadays. This test stage (unlike pinball games, the balls usually jam in the end, between randomly generated walls) is pretty hard one to handle. There still are a lot of unpredictable behaviors...

0 comments

Cart #ohgod-0 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OH GOD

In this mod, madeline has had one too many drinks and is having trouble... living. "play" this "celeste" "classic" "mod" and "try" to make it to the "top" of the "mountain" as you "progress" through "levels" and the "game" until you "win"!!

This mod is 100% playable,

Thats it.

Good luck if you try playing this, as i couldn't get past 500m in testing. may the hangover gods be in your favor.

7 comments

Cart #laserduel-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Laser duel for up to 4 players.
No single player content yet.
Each button rotates the laser in either direction.
Fire your laser by pressing both buttons simultaneously.

2 comments

Cart #tvstatic_gfx-3 | 2023-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #pilot_training_grounds-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple arcade style game. Use the left and right arrow keys to navigate the player. Fly close to the obstacles without hitting them to score points.

0 comments

Cart #otoro-2 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A very basic game I am working on to help me learn pico 8 and some of the concepts. It ballooned a little bit...

I can feel that the code is very inefficient, any specific feedback with examples from my code would be welcome.
also... i'm bad at math, and you can see that with my randomize futzing...

My daughter did all of the end game art, so kudos to her for being great!

Enjoy!!!

4 comments

My first post. I'm beginning this blog to document my progress in pursuing a passion project, the creation of my first game. The existence of Pico-8 and 'mini metroid-vanias' such as Metroid Crimson, The Ascent, and Subsurface have inspired me. I grew up with an NES and my finest childhood memories involved exploring the game worlds of Zelda and Metroid. My goal is to create a game with a focus on exploration and environmental puzzle solving with progression through an ability-gated game world. I lack programming experience and have a general aversion to math. I'm hopeful the community here will share its wisdom if I'm earnest in my attempt to understand conceptually all the code and math and I refrain from making a million requests for information.

My progress so far: With the assistance of a set of super helpful youtube tutorials, I've created a player sprite capable of running and jumping using platformer controls. I've also managed to alter existing camera code to track the player character room by room.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hey guys, I made my first game in PICO-8 for a game jam whose theme was Rhythm!

Cart #spacescape-2 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a demo GIF, which unfortunately doesn't have the main protagonist of the game (the music!):

Would love to get some feedback :)

1 comment

Hi-Steaks!

Cart #hi_steaks-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I suggest to whoever sees this, please give me feedback! It would be very helpful in my pico-8 progression.

GitHub Page

[8x8]
[8x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #manmon-1 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

manmon

So basically manmon just really wants to go back to his little house

manmon is his name, and he is a simple guy, all he really wants right now, is to get to his house...
But on the way he lost all his coins, even his special gem. You have to help him to get back and collect all his coins.

Controls

• C or up to jump
  • Down to crouch
  • Up to use the ladders
  • nothing to use the bouncy slime blocks

More info and stuff:

• So basically I made this game in just a few days, using @Caspians platformer Engine, because I really liked the feeling of the jump
  • The code is really messy, because I didnt really need any compression, and I wanted to finish it quickly.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #peththefrog-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

just my first attempt at doing something using pico8, Pretty enjoyable experience!

1 comment

Cart #maddyshop-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About the Mod

Hi! This is my first mod (with some help from cannon). Originally this was meant to be a part of the "12 Days of CCristmas" mod jam, but we missed the deadline. Oh well.
CannonWuff made the sprites and did all the coding, while I did level design and decoration.

Speedrunning

Levels were designed with speedrunning in mind. Keeping with that, I'd like to have a sort of competetion to encourage runs! There aren't any rewards, just a thanks from me :)

There will be 4 main categories:

• Any% - Beat the game as fast as possible
  • 100% - Beat the game as fast as possible while collecting all 16 berries.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

THIS GAME NEEDS MORE FIXES!!!

3 comments

Cart #light_switch-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple reflex game I created to test out Pico-8.
When the lights come on, press the corresponding arrow key to turn it off.
The goal is to get the lowest score possible.

0 comments

This is a naive port of particle life.

Press Z to cycle through draw modes.
Press X to toggle stats.

Background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kx4Y9TVMGg

Code based on https://github.com/ravener/love-life/ which is MIT license.

TODO:

• interface for changing the rules.

This is a koan more than anything, it needs more processing power than Pico-8 will give it - not suited to this environment. But still interesting to experiment with.

Tweak any of the numeric literals to alter behaviour.
The rule arguments determine the attraction/repulsion between two groups.

Cart #particle_life-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #nehihuweno-0 | 2023-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

hi!!!! i just got around to uploading this to splore (i think??), hope you all like it!

3 comments

Cart #ragupimufi-0 | 2023-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is work-in-process edutainment regarding the Theory of Constraints, a method for increasing flow through an organisation.

0 comments

In the rain (Working title)

Find your way through an unforgiving world

Cart #intherain-0 | 2023-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Background

This is my first pico title, and also my first game ever. I discovered pico-8 a little earlier this year and was immediately excited by it. Loved the community and was inspired by all of the great carts out there. Over the last month, I've been able to work on this concept and learned a ton.

Community help

Like many others, I was able to learn faster due to all the great carts out there. In particular, I got a ton of value from this post by shy, the lazy dev shmups content, and more recently this cart on fractal trees from bjornkri

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #elusive_bigfoot_v4_5-0 | 2024-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #elusive_bigfoot_v3-0 | 2024-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #elusive_bigfoot_v2-0 | 2024-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->