BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This thread is for ideas for my game.
The main character is a lil bird that changes color but I don't know what color he should turn with 1 dash and then again with 2 dashes.
This game is a Celeste type mod.

I don't know if he should have a scarf that changes color or if his body should so I need ideas.

0 comments

Cart #pico1kmatch-0 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

cursor / dpad - move the reticle around the play area
z / O - hold and press a direction to shift rows and columns of tiles
x / X - after the timer reaches zero press to start again

About

This is my second entry into the #pico1k 2023 jam. This is a "match 6" puzzle game where you try and clear as many lines as you can in 100 seconds. Featuring hand coded sprites inspired by Columns on Sega Megadrive/Genesis and a smooth addictive control style.

1 comment

hello everyone, I'm Osis, and I'm new to Pico 8 as well as coding, but when I found some pixel art of some Risk of Rain characters with the Pico 8 palette and most of them being 8 x 8 (a link to their work https://www.reddit.com/r/pico8/comments/mw40ui/risk_of_rain_1_characters_in_pico8_style/ ) I thought that it might be fun to try and make a game, which I have done most of it, the problem is I have a set of animations that should be playing when the player shoots, which at one point worked, however, it now no longer does I have tried going over it many times and still can't find what might be wrong

controls:
Jet pack is Up
Place Turret Is Down
Left Is left
Right Is Right
Z Is Shoot

any help with this problem or anything else you can spot in my code would be very helpful,

here is the problem code:

--

if shooting2 == true and mag >= 1 then
s_timer+=1 --shooting timer

if d == 2.8 and pushing == 0 then
if (s_timer < 4) plr.s=5 spr(6,plr.x+8,plr.y) -- this is here as one spr is more the 8x8

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #jimmac_skulls-3 | 2023-09-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Thanks to the great tutorial series by Krystman, I was able to finally create a game. It only took 40 years. Initially I planned to learn the basic concepts but ended up invetsing a lot of time polishing this basic shmup. Enjoy!

1 comment

Cart #dopofewidu-0 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Follow me? See if you can keep up with this sequencing game of colors and sound. How much memory can you store? Share your scores in the comments!

CONTROLS

X = Start/restart the game
UP ARROW = top square
DOWN ARROW = bottom square
LEFT ARROW = left square
RIGHT ARROW = right square
Z = center square

This game was made for the 2023 PICO-1K Game Jam, where the goal is to create a PICO-8 game in under 1KB of compressed memory.

1 comment

Cart #fakinoghu-0 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Designed for Concord. Glyph interpretation up to user.

Cart #fakinoghu-1 | 2023-09-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0.5 Added category tool

0 comments

Captain Harlock, Battle against the Armada (THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION CAN BE INCOMPLETE. IF YOU SEE ANY BUGS OR MISTAKES, PLEASE CONTACT ME.)

Cart #harlock-0 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Albator, Bataille contre l'Armada (ATTENTION, LA TRADUCTION ANGLAISE PEUT ÊTRE INCOMPLÈTE. SI VOUS VOYEZ DES BUGS OU DES ERREURS, MERCI DE ME CONTACTER.)

Cart #albator-1 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #show_book_function-0 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a function that draws a book with some custom content to the screen. My inspiration was morrowind and its plethora of books. All this function needs to work is an external,global page variable.

How to use:

• copy this function to your code
  • declare a global page variable (that starts at -1, which is the cover page)
  • keep in mind that it resets camera() to print the book on screen regardless of the camera offset, so use it after you already printed you game with desired offset
  • add your book as a pair of title and a long content string like this: {"Title","Super long and cool content"}, to the books table

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #spirograph_cg_43-1 | 2023-09-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My submission for code guessing round #43. It's a visualisation of a spirograph with adjustable parameters:

• R1: radius of the blue, centered circle
  • R2: radius of the white, rolling circle
  • D: length of the drawing rod coming from the rolling circle

Edit it online!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

2 comments

PICO-8 print behavior is inconsistent with Lua standard:

mmt={}
mt=setmetatable({},mmt)
t=setmetatable({},mt)

function mmt:__index(k)
 print('mt.'..k)
end

print(t)

This code should not output mt._tostring as, per language manual, I quote: "the access to a metamethod does not invoke other metamethods". You can check it on the official Lua demo too.

4 comments

Cart #chinaminer-2 | 2023-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Version 2

• Added Tutorial/How to play (❎ from title screen);
  • Music: you can now play the music at a slower tempo like in the original game;
  • Added: "Last score" in Stats page;
  • Fixed bug: jumping while easing on ladders (thanks to Pico-8 Gamer)

Controls:

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ move
⭕️ [Z] Jump
❎ [X] Skip / continue / Start tutorial (from title screen)

Remake:

The original game for Commodore 64 is "China Miner" by Ian Gray.
(c)1984 Interceptor Software.

How to play

Miner Wally is the only person to know the location of the Jade Mines belonging to the Pong Dynasty in China. On each of the 30 screens you must collect four objects (pickaxe, candle, lantern and jade vase) before collecting the key to move onto the next stage. As well as the platforms to negotiate you must also avoid the various creatures that populate the mine and if you touch any of them then you lose one of the nine lives, are sent to the start of the screen and all objects reappear. There are various obstacles to avoid or use like lasers, moving platforms and platforms that disintegrate when stepped on. Falling from heights also loses you a life.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

So I wanted to experiment with Pico-8's bitplane drawing features (see https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=54215) and specifically to see if I could make a palette that worked sort of like the idea behind 16-color CGA: four-channel (one bit per channel) RGBI color. (Pico-8 doesn't have quite enough blue for this to work comfortably but I'll keep experimenting.) But to play with it, I wanted to be able to scribble with the palette, drawing "with specific bits".

So I threw together a thing!

Cart #bitplane_toy-0 | 2023-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This mouse-driven cart lets you scribble using a velocity-sensitive pen. Left four checkboxes in the tool panel set the high four bits of the palette mask, right four set the low four. (For some reason this made more spatial sense to my brain for where "color" and "mask" go even though it's backwards from the bits.) Click the "explosion" button to clear the drawing area. I have been too lazy to implement a KABOOM sound effect but patches are welcome.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #orbwinder_quoridor-0 | 2023-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Quoridor: Apples VS Oranges

This is my port of the board game Quoridor created by Mirko Marchesi.
In my version of the game, the pawns are replaced with "fruit" because it works better with the color palette. All of the rules are programmed into the game logic to prevent any illegal moves. Unlike other online versions of the game, the fruits start on the sides of the board, rather than on top and bottom. I think this makes it much more comfortable to play in local multiplayer.

There are a few more features I want to add, but this version is basically complete. Have fun!

The physical game is published by Gigamic Games and is available from many stores. Check out the

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #catsitting-2 | 2023-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is my first attempt to program a game with Pico-8. The goal is to drive 3 cats to the 4 marked fields in the left center. They will only go to these fields if Luna, the shepherdess and heroine, is at this moment at most 2 fields away. There are 3 levels in total. And if you complete all 3 levels in a short enough time, you get to enter a high score list. Attention: In the last level you can be run over by 2 vehicles!

0 comments

Miracle Warriors Remake

Looking like I will likely hit the compression limit so will need to redesign or multicart maybe

Currently:

• bump into walls to gain XP and gain levels - to test systems
  • slow moving through forest or mountains remove HP - to test systems

pressing X on some villages/castles will give the following - to test systems

• get ship1 and ship2 at the original game locations
  • first cave (cave6) will give random item
  • Kosama Village will give random equipment
  • Castles will give random pouch items - guilders,fangs,herbs,reputation etc
  • Resurrection village will give new party member if you have enough XP

• all maps should work although not very interactive
  • healing system with herbs should work
  • save system should work

• initial monster spawn system if press X in open .. you can only run away -- but their might be bugs .. sorry.

Cart #gacko_miracle-0 | 2023-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #supermario16-1 | 2023-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #robuildercre8cartv1-0 | 2023-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLS-

⬅️⬆️➡️⬇️ to move blocks

🅾️/ Z to place blocks & confirm

❎/X to rotate blocks

▶ to start the game

HOW TO PLAY-

Move the blocks around, and connect the arrows to get a better score.

HOW IT WAS MADE-

Made within 18 days for the CRE-8 jam. I will link a dev blog detailing the development when it comes out.

This will sound silly; It was a really tough development emotionally, but it's finished! Thanks a ton for playing!

SOCIALS-

MARINA MAKES - DEVELOPER
TWITTER/X
MASTODON

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #combat-0 | 2023-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Tank battling like it's 1977!

(2 player only)

A re/de-make of Combat on the Atari VCS.

Features:

• Flamethrowers!
  • 5 other weapons
  • rotating turrets
  • 7 battlefields
1 comment

Cell Machine

Cart #cell_machine-0 | 2023-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A PICO-8 port of Sam Hogan's hit puzzle game Cell Machine!
Drag cells around with your mouse. Other controls are explained in-game.

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->