BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #kesahiheka-0 | 2023-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

hey making mod nano man soon

0 comments

Pico-View webzine for August 2023 is out now!

Here's the lineup:
-Cover Art and Gallery by PJBGamer
-What is a Lerp - Fletch
-Making Music with Loops - c.diffin
-Game Jam Interviews & Lineups - Nerdy Teachers
-Featured Interview: Canyon Crisis Team ft. Marina
-Featured Game Review: Occult Gunner - Achie
-PICO-1k Jam Announcement - Liquidream
-Cre8 Jam Announcement - Pico-8 Gamer
-The Death of a Frog - Marina
-New Release Recommendations
-Prototype Party - Color Combo

Once again thank you to everyone who participates, contributes, and reads the zine! I hope you all had a wonderful month of August, and here's to an even better September!

Happy Reading 🤓
https://nerdyteachers.com/PICO-8/Pico-View/?issue=8

1 comment

The Death Of A Frog-

Introduction-

I come into this month from what might be my greatest failure as a game developer and artist- "Frogs vs Ghosts". Based off artwork by Jake Hall and developed for the "A Game By It's Cover" jam (a game jam where you pick from hundreds of imaginary Famicom game cartridges made months earlier).

This article will cover my mistakes while sharing my lessons during the development of "Frogs vs Ghosts". It took two months to make it realize it wouldn't ship and will continue to go unshipped. It reached the finish line (without polish), but it was not a good game. The two greatest reasons for this were: OVERSCOPING and LACK OF GAME-CORE.

Overscoping-

The worst mistake was made during the most critical part of the art process, choosing which project to pursue. I went over all my options, and chose the one I wanted to make the most: "Frogs vs Ghosts". I did not consider the amount of motivation and time it would take to finish my grand turn-based brawler/collect-athon with 16 characters (this sounds silly in hindsight)... That's a lie. I assumed I could replenish my motivation, and do more work in less time. This is a textbook example of overscoping.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #color_combo-0 | 2023-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This prototype was made for Pico-View, a monthly web-zine hosted on NerdyTeachers.com.

This month's prototype is named "Color Combo". It is a template for building your own game similar to DanceDanceRevolution or Magicka.

The main mechanic in this prototype is to detect the combination of button inputs of the arrows in order to create different colors. This game has 6 different colors, which you can turn into elements, potions, weapons, anything! We kept it simple with just color matching.

• left = blue
  • right = yellow
  • up = red

The secondary colors are made by combining the appropriate primary colors.

• left+right = green
  • left+up = purple
  • right+up = orange

We decided to use down arrow as the submit button but you could include down as a fourth primary element, and increase the total number of combinations possible. We also only used a max of 2 input mixtures, but you could expand it to 3, but be careful because this will quickly multiply into too many possible combinations.

Go ahead and tweak, add, re-theme, and build whatever you want on this and let's make some great input-combo games!

Don't forget to share it here on the BBS with the tag "prototype-party" so we can see what you were inspired to create. And keep your eyes out for more in the coming issues of Pico-View!

Read the full issue here:

Pico-View #8 - August 2023: https://nerdyteachers.com/PICO-8/Pico-View/?issue=8

0 comments

Cart #yubakoheno-0 | 2023-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #hellofromjuvis-0 | 2023-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi,

We are TEAMJUVI (even tho were just a duo),
and we wanna make games for our enjoyment and others too.

We wanna start our journey right here, on lexaloffle, not only do we have the tools we need to make a game, but the simplicity of the PICO8/Picotron helps us (total noobs) to get a understanding on how the process works. We plan to upload our games on the BBS , Itch.io, Newgrounds, and heck maybe even a PS1. I look forward to be in this community with wonderful people with their wonderful creations.

PS: were not totally new but we still need help with some things.

Sincerely,
dyln (melodyl).

1 comment

I'm surprised no one has made a 3d PS1/N64 Style fantasy console yet. It should exist by now, there's a lot of people making fantasy consoles and using them, but apparently not. Would be cool to see though.

1 comment

Cart #pabekegude-0 | 2023-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Collect lots of apples.
If you can get 1000 points, it's cleared.

0 comments

thats right, i made optimised sprite drawing for picotron, although, you might wanna have chatGPT do it for you...

function sprpt(s,x,y)
 if s=="star!" then
  rectfill(x+2,y+2,x+5,y+5,10)
  rectfill(x+3,y,x+4,y+1,10)
  pset(x,y+2,10)
  pset(x+1,y+2,10)
  pset(x+1,y+3,10)
  pset(x+7,y+2,10)
  pset(x+6,y+2,10)
  pset(x+6,y+3,10)
  pset(x+1,y+6,10)
  pset(x+2,y+6,10)
  pset(x+1,y+7,10)
  pset(x+6,y+6,10)
  pset(x+5,y+6,10)
  pset(x+6,y+7,10)
 end
 if s=="heart!" then
  rectfill(x,y+1,x+7,y+4,8)
  rectfill(x+1,y,x+2,y+5,8)
  rectfill(x+5,y,x+6,y+5,8)
  rectfill(x+2,y+5,x+5,y+6,8)
  rectfill(x+3,y+5,x+4,y+7,8)
 end
end
function _update()
 sprpt("star!",30,30)
end

i spent more time on the star because even copy+paste does not save much

yes, admittedly, it does not work from data based sprites, its code based only! if you want an unoptimized lazy version, ill upload one later!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #fotiromawu-3 | 2023-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Anyone know why the site was down for the past 7ish hours? maintenance? did we get hacked?

EDIT: DOWN AGAIN but it seems were back?

Ive also noticed its impossible to create posts/comments. strange. at least edits work?

@zep do you know whats going on? are we getting ddosed?

it also seems that times are incorrect. i am editing this at 10:09 GMT-7 , and the edit date is wrong.

edit 2: seems posts are back? someone posted abt their movement system, so i guess posts are back. comments still dont work. very odd.

edit 3: i guess posts are gone again. maybe its a me issue. someone try posting.

also ive noticed that if you try to post and cant, changing "pid=" in the search bar to "pid= any number" will, if there is a corresponding post, let you view that post as if you were editing posts. even drafts.

edit 4: ive still been getting update notifications from the automated lexaloffle thing, but the links are wrong. maybe an api is down or something broke somewhere.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

I need help! I have bought it and got that files, then I downloaded the files, but now what!?! there is no instructions and there is no videos on the subject. sooooo yeah, anyone know what to do?

1 comment

Cart #mopunumapu-0 | 2023-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #blooblooblah-0 | 2023-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A little live stream intro animation I made for Pico-8 Gamer

0 comments

Cart #tanebewuso-0 | 2023-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

yup, i decided to get lore put into my game, it is not complete yet but heres the description to start the lore before the game is done!:

Dive into the heart of the digital universe and embrace the role of Node 42, a digital storage unit with a destiny unlike any other. In "N O D E," a retro action-adventure game, you will embark on an epic journey to protect Nodekind from the malevolent threat of "The evil master"

1 comment

You wake up in a steel bunker, sweat dripping down your face in a futile attempt to cool you. As you heave the cast iron door open and stumble out into the sand, you realise that you are isolated. You are the only human out here.
You are alone.

This is a smoll little game i'm working on, right now there's only a very very basic movement and camera system in place. Leave some feedback on what I should improve, and have fun (if that's possible at this stage)!

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->