BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #dearblocksan-1 | 2023-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple Breakout game with elements of Pinball. The ball falls according to gravity. When all the blocks are eliminated, a hole opens in the pop bumper. Clear the stage by getting the ball into the hole. Pressing the buttons on the bottom left and right of the screen with the paddle will trigger a guard that can bounce the ball back once. Enjoy!

3 comments

Cart #defeatthehero-0 | 2023-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press Z to increase your attack power and press X to attack the hero. Your attack power must always be 1 above the hero's defense to deal damage. How quickly can you defeat the hero?

0 comments

Cart #warinokiyu-0 | 2023-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #gacko_nim64-1 | 2023-09-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NIM⁶⁴

This is a creation of the game Nim for pico8. Nim is a 2 player, mathematical game of strategy (well sort of). It includes the following features:

• Two forms of Nim are available - Simple or Single Stack Nim and Normal Nim with multiple stacks
  • Beautiful chill music by @Gruber
  • A campaign of sorts to work through
  • Working AI and many different stack variations
  • Single games. All games should be winnable.
  • Low res mode because 128 is too much! 8)
  • A fireworks show!

CONTROLS

Should be easy to follow - Turn based game so no rush.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a deliberate limitation, but it seems that coresume call silently drops everything but the first argument, passed to the yield or return in the coroutine. When you

cor=cocreate(function()
 yield(1,2,3)
 return 4,5,6
end)

s1,a,b,c=coresume(cor)
s2,x,y,z=coresume(cor)

, all of b,c,y,z will be nil. In standard lua passing multiple values out of coroutine is widely used quirk, so it would be nice to have it on PICO-8 too.

4 comments

Hi people,

I have PICO-8 around about several years now, but never published any game on it.

This year I have a concept of minimalistic choice-based adventure. and I wonder if Pico-8 requisites are capable of moving what I have in mind.

What I wonder is how many full-screen, full-color illustrations are capable Pico-8 of storing, before consuming the whole memory, or starting using any multi-cartridge solution.

Also, each illustration will have a minimal 2 frame animation on them. That could be done with sprites, but yeah, the concept is how many locations like this can I store.

Thanks!

4 comments

I found some confusing behavior when trying to put multiple if/while shorthands on the same line, e.g.:

if (x1) if(x2) print('true')
print('anyway')

This prints 'anyway' only if x1 is true - whereas I would've expected it to print 'anyway', well - anyway.

It looks like line breaks only terminate a single if/while shorthand, causing the next line to be inside the other shorthand.

It used to be that this code was generating a runtime error, but now it just silently does something really unexpected instead.

1 comment

Cart #project_echidna-1 | 2023-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Summary

Project Echidna is a short skill based RPG(?) where you explore an abandoned laboratory to recover an old prototype. In this game multiple enemies can fight you at once, so plan your battles accordingly! Lure enemies into corners and fight them one on one, or avoid them altogether. If you are very skilled, you can fight them off all at the same time! There is no Leveling system, there is no output randomness, it is just your ability to fight with the tools you have.

Overworld Enemies

Enemies can see you if they have line-of-sight or you get too close. If they touch you they will engage in a battle! Multiple enemies can engage at a time, so be careful!

Battle!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Hello Community!

I wonder if any of you can enlighten me as to the under the hood differences of loops that I am encountering.

does anyone know why this works:

function iterate(tbl,fnc)
  for o in all(tbl) do
    if fnc=='u' then
      o:update()
    elseif fnc=='d' then
      o:draw()
    elseif fnc=='h' then
      hit_test(player,o)
    end
  end
end

while this only works for update and draw but not for testing the collision?

function iterate(tbl,fnc)
  for i=1,#tbl do
    local o=tbl[i]
    if fnc=='u' then
      o:update()
    elseif fnc=='d' then
      o:draw()
    elseif fnc=='h' then
      hit_test(player,o)
    end
  end
end

In order for update and draw to work, the program must know that o=tbl[i] is an object with methods. So why does hit_test act like o is nil?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

4 comments

Cart #daisy1-2 | 2023-07-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In this mod of Metrocubevania by flytrap studios, you play as Daisy! (My cat)
The evil Roborat has disturbed the peace of cat society, and Daisy is bored, so she's going to set out on a fun adventure to defeat him!
The Roborat has set up tin foil balls, grapes, water, and other traps, so it won't be easy!
Luckily Daisy's kitty friends support her mission, so they set up a few things to help her along the way! Scratching posts, litterboxes, and more were set up to hopefully make things easier!
There is also cat food scattered around the map as an optional challenge!
Good luck Daisy!

6 comments

Cart #oplatformer-0 | 2023-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrowkeys to move, x to jump. Collect all 4 coins and head to the exit.

--Possible thanks to SpaceCat.

2 comments

Cart #motionrec-3 | 2023-07-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

MOTION●REC

It is an action puzzle game with the concept of "recording and replaying movements."
Playtime: 5-10 minutes.

STEAM → https://store.steampowered.com/app/2602230/MOTIONREC/?beta=0

control

Press ↑+ ◯ (Z) to start motion recording. Moving during the recording will store the coordinates.

Press ◯ (Z) to play back the recorded motion.

Press ↓+ ◯ (Z) to play back the motion in reverse.

Features

Motion recording

Motion playback

[ Continue Reading.. ]

46 comments

this allows you to make an image in pico-8, it also allows you to use the tools in the sprite editor to make a new image, just make sure to save!

--image details
w=16
h=16
palette={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15}
--init image
for i=0,15 do
	pal(i,palette[i+1],1)
end
cls()
spr(0,0,0,w,h)
--disable console controll (untill esc is pressed)
function _update()
	flip()
end
2 comments

I've tried the Contact email twice and sending private messages on the social accounts.

Is there another way to get a hold of Lexaloffle support? Do I need to go through Humble Bundle support?

4 comments

Cart #mysteryhouse-2 | 2023-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The "first graphic adventure" (according to itself), and the title that launched the game development careers of Roberta and Ken Williams (and launched Sierra On-Line), is now available on the Pico-8. Do YOU have what it takes to become "a guru wizard?"

All text, graphics, and bugs of the game that launched the game development careers of Ken and Roberta Williams have been lovingly ported to your favorite virtual console. Yes, the entire 140K original has been crunched down to a single 60K cart, including save state, with all new hand-drawn images (see "Tools Used" below). The construction of the game is essentially broken down into engine and data, meaning it could be modified or remixed or rebuilt into a new game (detailed blog posts are in the works).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #celestetechtrain3-3 | 2023-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a little mod I made, teaching and demonstrating some of the cool speedrun tech and glitches celeste has to offer.

If you get really stuck on any level, I have a GIF of the completion of some of the harder levels in the first reply.

More info on some of this tech can be found here: https://celesteclassic.github.io/glossary/

Have fun and game on :3

15 comments

Cart #unsudoku-0 | 2023-07-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Unsudoku

In Unsudoku, you play as a number moving around on a sudoku board. If you move into a different number, you become that number. If you are seen (by sudoku rules) by the same number as yourself, you lose! Can you get all the numbers off the board?

Additional credits:
OOP project structure mostly based on Kevin Thompson's Void Protocol implementation.
Shuffle function by kittenm4ster taken from here.

Made as a submission for GMTK 2023.

4 comments

This cart is a barebones Forth implementation in 279 tokens. It could be smaller, it could be more usable, but I haven't really touched it in weeks, so here you go. Probably full of bugs.

Features

• eval() function
  • Interpret and compile modes - extend syntax in Forth!
  • if/then (implemented in Forth)
  • A few useful comments, including some commented-out utility functions and basic smoke test.

Non-features / shortcomings

• else (you can add this in Forth)
  • Arithmetic (you can add this for 11 tokens per binop, or 9 tokens if you're willing to use valid Lua identifiers as operator names)
  • Looping (you can probably add this for the cost of a few arithmetic/comparison operators, then add the syntax in Forth for no token cost)
  • Passing args or returning values when calling Lua functions from Forth (depending on how fancy you want to get, probably takes 20-50 tokens for a reasonable wrapper)
  • [ and ] are spelled _lb and _rb for some reason.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #brokentv-0 | 2023-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was just messing around in the sound editor and my sister said it sounds like a broken television so i made this. Dont ask why im uploading this

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->