BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #scythes_breakout-8 | 2023-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
x-Launch Ball
Arrows-Move Paddle

1 comment

i spent my time very wisely today while on an extremely unproductive conference call, and now you can benefit from my varied attentional deficiencies.

please enjoy some emoji sprites, completely free for you to use. they work great on the forum here, but i think i'll also put them into my textbox dialogue parser so characters can emoji at the player. maybe that's fun, maybe that's insufferable. i guess i'll find out!

[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]
[8x8]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #destinyball-2 | 2023-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple game where you use the left and right arrow keys to shorten or lengthen a permanently rotating tether ball. Hit the green circles for points, and avoid the yellows.

update:

Now has an easy mode with tether that extends and constricts faster

update 2:

Now has music and sfx for tether length change.

2 comments

Cart #nightportsman_public-0 | 2023-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Nightportsman of El'al Raheeb

in a far away archipelago called el'al raheeb the summer weathers are not but the most extreme.

the long, scorching days limit trade between the islands. foods spoil, water evaporates, the crews are pushed past their limits by the endless sun.

despite their best attempts merchants find the summers unbearable. luckily, the winters are a much needed reprieve for the boatmen and community alike.

in winter, the sun hides for 45 days of calm darkness which brings milder temperatures and turns the multiday voyages between islands bearable. bearable at least for those merchants willing to brave the other dangers of the sea.

these critical and unique boatmen work day and night through the winter, trying their best to supply the islands and turn a profit.

when the sun eventually rises and summer approaches then the merchants finally turn home. they pray to have made enough to support their families until the next winter.

you are one of these merchants, a nightportsman, and winter has come.
good luck may elals guide you.

Tips & Tricks

This calm business sim is all about strategically packing your ship and sailing from port to port to make money.

• Keep an eye out for items which are cheap or expensive at a port, similar items will have similar prices.
  • You have 45 days to make as much money as possible.
  • Balance spending your money on goods with upgrading your ship, buying newspapers, and exploring.
  • Island needs, positions, and traits don't change between seasons, so keep notes.
  • Around 1000¥ is a great score.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

I found creating custom cartridge labels to be an exceptionally infuriating process, so I built a python script that can transform any image file to a Pico 8 label. The tool works best with images made especially for Pico 8, with a size of 128x128 and their official color palette, but for shiz and giggles I made it work with any image.

Here's the GitHub repo: https://github.com/amirave/pico-label
If you don't want to go through the troubles of cloning the repo, just save the pico_label.py file inside of it (:

A demonstration of the tool:

12 comments

Cart #crsosuv1-1 | 2023-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OLD SCHOOL VS U.F.O.
Have fun!

CRZ-Riegelz-67er-EKMS-Bavaria

2 comments

Cart #spacebullets-0 | 2023-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I wrote this little space "bullet hell" game as the final product of a tutorial I'm working on.

Food icons humbly yoinked from https://twitter.com/JUSTIN_CYR

4 comments

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what language is Pico-8 written in?

Thanks

5 comments

This is a small game which I made as an example for my friends.

Cart #gohokisasi-0 | 2023-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #dinkykong-0 | 2023-03-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome to the Pico-verse - a pixelated land of tiny horizons and even tinier characters. In the Little Apple, a bustling town on the seaside, something terrible has happened! An oversized simian sprite has escaped and taken a citizen in its cruel clutches! Making its way through town, it has climbed up the construction site of the town’s tallest building. But one brave soul stands forth, determined to rescue their fellow citizen from the dreaded… Dinky Kong!

How to Play

Select your hero - choose from Minio or Smalline.
Press ⭕️ to start.
Move with ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️
Jump with ⭕️.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

36 comments

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Pico 8 editor without a mouse, and I've seen from other posts how to use CTRL-TAB to navigate between tabs.

However, does anyone know if there's a keyboard shortcut to create a new tab?

Thanks,
njp

Edit: Added to "bugs" as suggested since the keyboard shortcut appears to be missing.

7 comments

Cart #feline_frenzy_3-2 | 2023-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

7 comments

A simple tool to quickly generate random color palettes.

• allows palettes with 2-6 colors
  • stores a history of past palettes
  • never repeats colors

Cart #palette_generator-0 | 2023-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #bgc_week_1-0 | 2023-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Created for the Boys and Girls Club

0 comments

Haven't seen a bassoon yet, so I made one

[sfx]

Here's a little demo

Cart #wasi_midilib70_bassoon-0 | 2023-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

I'm starting a tutorial on how to make your a BETTER Shmup in Pico-8! It's for complete beginners. It is a series specifically designed for more experienced developers looking to enhance their skills. It is a follow up to the Basic Shmup Tutorial we did earlier last year.

We will take everything we've learned in the basic tutorial and turn it up to 11. We will cover things like project planning, token optimization and tool development. The goal will be to make a PROPER Shmup with a rich scrolling background, dynamically spawning enemies and complex bullet patterns.

New episodes on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I will use this thread to keep a list of the episodes and post significant progress. Let's gooooo!

Episode 2 - Performance
Episode 3 - Scrolling

[ Continue Reading.. ]

21 comments

Cart #olden_peak-0 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Olden Peak: A Tiny Soulslike-Metroidvania

I made this game last year shortly after finishing Elden Ring. Olden Peak is a melee combat-focused metroidvania with some soulslike elements like limited healing flasks and stamina.

I released this (last year) on itch where you can find the well-formatted source code (the cart here has all my #includes unfolded so it's tougher to read).

Controls (Explained in-game)

X - jump
C - attack
double-tap left or right to roll
hold "up" to check your stats
press "down" to use a health flask

Attacking and rolling costs stamina. Your health and stamina go up when you 'level up'.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #kwikrick_whitenoise-1 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

White Noise

a short story about discovery and creation.

Credits:

Created by kwikrick and Natalie.

Loosely inspired by the novel "Fall" by Neil Stephenson.

For TriJam 208 - Fill The Vacuum.

History:

This is the post-jam version with small improvements in sound, music, story and bug fixes.

2 comments

Cart #spinning_pixel-0 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

spinning pixel. Nothing else.

Cart #spinning_pixel-1 | 2023-03-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

even shorter code

3 comments

A simple platformer game

Hi, it's been a while since I last made a game on the pico-8!
Here is a simple game I just made, hope you like it.

Cart #yeyuratade-2 | 2023-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->