BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Pico-View February

Hello Pico-View Reader, this February issue is the second in the series. We thank you all for your continued support and donations... Money? Cash? NO! We thrive off of the art, reviews, and comments you all give us. Thank you to the supporters, and that includes you reader! By simply reading this zine you're helping us. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Without further ado... We hope you have fun adventuring through the pixels and paragraphs of this brand new Pico-View web-zine.

-Nerdy Teachers, Celesmeh, Fletch , Pickleschip, D3V?,and Marina

January Edition: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=51335

Contents:

-A Look Into Tweet-Carts
-Lazy Devs Interview - Ft. Celesmeh
-How To Get Pico-8 On The Miyoo Mini!!!
-Pico Nico Easing Animations - Tutorial by Fletch
-One Bit- Pixel Art Style - Pickleschip
-Tabs vs Spaces Article - Nerdy Teachers
-Dinky Kong Demake - Interview W/ Trog & Heraclem

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #building_jumper-0 | 2023-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This prototype was made for Pico-View, a monthly web-zine hosted here on the BBS and also on NerdyTeachers.com.

You are challenged with taking on this visual effect of enlarging and shrinking your sprites as the main mechanic of your game! Practice using SSPR( ) function to have more control of your sprites this way.

You can:
1) Play this prototype as-is, and share your highscores below.
2) Take this cart, and edit it as much as you'd like to create your own spin-off!

Don't forget to share it here on the BBS with the tag "Prototype Party" so we can see what you were inspired to create. And keep your eyes out for more in the coming issues of Pico-View!

Read the full issue here:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

[sfx]

Was listening to some old compositions of mine and realized that I had a nice little instrument that hadn't made it into the midi library!

For the demo, I used the same trick I used then, and split the melody across two separate SFX so the tails of each note could ring out while the next note played. Bit of a faff to do, but it produces a very good effect.

Cart #hifesosani-0 | 2023-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

As noted in the cart, at least to me, it still sounds good and has a harp-ish vibe with various combinations of Buzz, Dampen, and Reverb; Detune doesn't work because the bulk of the SFX is the triangle wave.

1 comment

Cart #yfowomezi-0 | 2023-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I don't understand how it took me so long to make this mod....

"It's been a while since someone last climbed the mountain, things seem to be different from the last time"

14 comments

Cart #diceroll-0 | 2023-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's been about a year since I've touched my platformer project, so I wrote this simple little dice roller to get back in the swing of things.

3 comments

Cart #remco_visje-0 | 2023-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a small game about a fish, made in 9 hr for Alakajam #17

left and right to wiggle

the river-flow should very slowly get faster / get as far as you can (the number of screens traversed is counted)

red spikes hurt / yellow scales give a bit more life / watch out for the light-blue currents / plants can block you, but only horizontally

(also my first 'finished' cart)

5 comments

This is my first attempt at a Pico-8 Game. I made this for my wife to play with our cat Aesop. When he is hungry feed him eggs, burgers, steaks, and turkey. When he is full take a nap and then go eat again. Just like a real cat.

Cart #rojotapupo-4 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #frog_game-2 | 2023-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm new to PICO-8. This is a little game I've been putting together as I learn. Nothing special or exciting (the enemies don't even fight back yet), just something to get my feet wet with and expand on as I go.

Arrow keys move the frog left and right. X key to shoot.

1 comment

Cart #driftsnow-1 | 2023-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(v01 02-26-23)
TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #driftsnow

Hello.

While some years back I did write a fairly complex cart to draw snowflakes on the screen, they were not incremental. That is they stayed the same number on the screen at all times.

I was noticing in the BSNES emulator they do this instead. They add one snowflake per second on the screen-saver. The effect I think is rather pretty - so here is my version of it for Pico-8.

The code is documented quite thoroughly.

Be aware of some numbers you can fiddle with that are defined at the top of the code:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #river_survivors-3 | 2023-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

EDIT1: Bugfix
EDIT2: Yet another bugfix, passives did not get applied correctly
EDIT3: (Hopefully) fixed the slowdown when lots of fish are on screen

6 comments

Cart #manic_miner_test2-0 | 2023-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

updated

left/right = move
up = jump

2 comments

Cart #xicarus-1 | 2023-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Xicarus's Xtreme Xventure

You are Captain Xavier Xicarus (xe/xir), a thrill-seeking pilot in a doomed solar system.
In 22 seconds, the Xun will explode, taking all life and all planets you know with it.
In the meantime, though, it's a great chance to do some sick donuts around a dying star.

XXX is an addictive and deterministic score-em-up where you maneuver an agile ship across treacherous environment.

Features

• Addictive 30-second game loop
  • Refined, skillful gameplay
  • ZERO randomness; deterministic physics
  • Beautiful low-resolution graphics
  • Learn about doomed planets
  • Reach the highest score you can!

Controls

• Arrow Keys to steer your ship
  • Press X to activate your boost, once every 30 seconds.
  • Press Z to open your Solar Atlas, which lets you view planet orbits, and learn about their composition
  • Press "Enter" for options

Credits

• Brook.p8 - that's me!
  • Elyon - Lore ideas and support
  • Playtesters, including Kartik, Morgan, Nova, Tamsyn, softmagic
  • Shoutout to trans folks and autistic people everywhere, and especially autistic trans peeps!
  • Made for LowRezJam 2022 (I forgot to post it here oops)
  • Inspired by Outer Wilds

Meet the System

• Xun
    Remaining lifespan: 22 seconds
    A hot and burning ball of code and plasma, facing imminent collapse
    Our beloved sun at the center of our system
  • Xerth
    Orbital radius: 29,000 pixels
    Its neon sea, which neatly divides the planet in half, creates the perfect habitat for life as we know it
    We call it home <3
  • Devril
    Average temperature: 450°F
    Due to the high heat and an atmosphere rich in oxygen and carbon, this planet is constantly lit aflame
    Possibly supports marshmallow-related life??
  • Keple
    Planet radius: 1200 pixels
    This body's orbit is extremely off-center, passing both closer to and further from the xun than any other planet
    Due to the extreme fluctuations in temperature, and its mossy poles, it does not support life. And if it did, it'd probably be lame anyway. Like moss or something.
  • Bolong
    Orbital eccentricity: 0.42
    Tidally locked with the sun
    Due to its fast movement as it approaches the sun, Bolong's dark side is notable bigger and denser than its sunny side
  • The Cube
    Sides: 6
    ???? What???
    We don't know how it got here
  • Debris Belt
    Number of asteroids: 1.27 million
    That's a lot of rocks
    The ring appears to extend beyond our observable universe

Thanks for playing!

5 comments

Cart #pacman_in_hell-1 | 2023-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Cart #bejuyasero-0 | 2023-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello.

I have noticed this sample program I wrote does not play 2-notes blending, one after another. No, it cuts off the first one and then plays the new one - despite being on an entirely different channel.

@zep, I think this qualifies as an error. Could you fix it, please ?

7 comments

Cart #punapimiyu-0 | 2021-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple platformer. I built this from scratch (using some samples as reference), to get a feel for implementing a simple game design. I made all the tiles, sounds, levels and code myself, using Pico8's inbuilt designer

1 comment

Cart #n3kt0-0 | 2023-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

I've been trying ways to take a specific sprite and replace all of them on the map with another sprite.

Here are two methods I figured out.

Cart #set_all1-0 | 2023-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This here is the first method and the one I use in my Pico-8 game "Marley The Adventurer". Probably the most simple and reliable method. It just scans all tiles one by one every time it wants to swap and immediatly replaces it by the other tile if the tile matches the one specified. It uses almost no extra RAM, but a lot of CPU usage. And if one of the tiles gets removed or if one gets added it will still react properly and replace the new tiles as well.
The function takes two parameters: set_all1(current_tile_sprite, new_tile_sprite)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

Cart #looprealm-4 | 2023-03-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You're cursed and in a foreign realm. Time resets every 20 seconds and you have to find a way out. Talk to the locals for information and secret abilities that might help you on your journey down into the depths in this 20 second long metroidvania.

Update 1.2

• Added an option to show how much time you have left.
  • Made the tackle ability easier to perform on d-pads and joysticks.
  • Fixed some dialogue inconsistencies.

Update 1.1

• Added a secret ending.
  • Added an input overlay option.
  • Changed world design slightly.
  • Removed hint screen after time reset.

Controls

Arrow keys: Movement
Z: Jump
X: ?

**Looprealm was originally made for

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #rescue_ship_1-0 | 2023-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simlpe endless space ship game... :)

2 comments

I’ve started a new YouTube music series called “Gruber Jams”

My idea is to dedicate at least 30mins a week to recording a raw, unedited video of me writing Pico-8 music.  Like Bob Ross’s The Joy of Painting (but less cool obviously!).  These will be very spontaneous, sometimes productive, sometimes less productive, but will capture my process as purely as possible.

All of the music I write I’ll upload here to the forums so that others can use in their games, so please feel free to do so! This is the first one, Happy Frog Dance!

[sfx]

Cart #happyfrogdance-0 | 2023-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->