BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I was exporting stuff to be a web export, because I have a website with my games on it. But, do the HTML and JavaScript files both have to be included?

on a somewhat -somewhat- unrelated topic, I made this cool post a while ago and nobody saw it. It's a website maker for all you people wanting your own website.

2 comments

Cart #fireworks1k-0 | 2022-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for the Pico 1k Jam 2022. This was kinda my backup project since I couldn't get the other one under the 1024 byte limit.

You can change the mode from "auto" to "manual" in the pause menu and then use your mouse to place fireworks rather than them going off automatically!

Only 675/1024 bytes!

I definitely could've been more creative with it since it's quite a bit under the byte limit but whatever.

4 comments

I may have found another bug in Pico-8, @zep.

Try out this code:

function count()
  for i=1,100 do
    print(i)
    flip()
  end
end

Run. Nothing happens as expected. Now type out: count() followed by ENTER.

Try to press "P" to pause it. It will not pause. However if you call this function in the main part of your code or make this the main part of your code, then it DOES pause correctly.

0 comments

Hey PICO-8 folks! I'm working on a farming sim, and immediately hit a roadblock with persistent memory for web users. Here's the issue:

Because it's a farming sim, I need my map tiles to be changed by the player on the fly. This isn't a problem with mset(), but my issue arises when it comes time to save the map data. Saving a whole grid of map values and flags for grass/dirt/tilled dirt/vegetables/weeds/rocks requires a lot of different numbers to be saved. I understand that cstore() is an option, but that's only for cartridge players, not players on the web, if I understand correctly. And with only 64 memory slots with dget() and around 1024 map tiles to save (if I shrink the map significantly), if I translate the tiles to decimal or binary values, memory's still far too tight.

Is there any type of memory storage or trick that has allowed any of you to store large amounts of map data persistently for web users, or am I out of luck?

4 comments

Cart #cables-3 | 2022-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple and fast faking of cables hanging between two points (made for another project).
Not physic base, it use Bézier curves to fake a lot of cables at once (±320 cables at 10 steps, @30fps)

• Right and left click to move last cable's start/end point.
  • ❎ to add a cable
  • 🅾️ to remove a cable
  • ➡️ to increase number of steps
  • ⬅️ to decrease number of steps
  • ⬇️ or wheel-down to increase the dangling of the cables
  • ⬆️ or wheel-up to decrease the dangling of the cables
  • pause menu to enable/disable debug view (show steps and controls points)

changelog

2022-09-24

• fixed buttons UI typo

2022-09-22

• added dangling control
  • tweaked controls
6 comments

Cart #zabeponasa-0 | 2022-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #bonusstg1k-3 | 2022-09-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bonus Stage 1K: a Pico-8 demake of the iconic spherical bonus stages in Sonic games, in 1024 bytes of compressed lua code. Produced for the 2022 #pico1k jam.

Help Jelpi navigate a spherical maze by turning left or right at the end of each tile, collecting rings and blue spheres while avoiding the lethal red spheres. The game finishes when no blue spheres remain.

15 comments

This behavior feels possibly intentional, but I thought I'd check here just in case. If you run RP-8 with load #rp8, on loading carts, RP-8 gives the message unknown extcmd: set_title. If you ask it to open its folder with extcmd("folder"), it fails with a similar message. Both commands work fine if I save the cart to a .p8 and immediately re-load it. This is on 0.2.5c.

It'd be nice if folks could use load #rp8 to run RP-8 - even if this functionality doesn't end up enabled from Splore, perhaps it could work when loading carts by ID from the CLI? Also, is there some way to work around this and avoid showing the error message if the extcmd call isn't going to work?

At this point I'm wondering if I'll need to just point to Itch as the canonical download source for folks to get reliable results. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but offering a load #rp8 alternative would sure be nice!

0 comments

I have a stationary object firing bullets at foe(enemy object). The problem is the game is running at 30fps, and the bullets are travelling at a pretty fast speed, so fast that they sometimes endup on the other side of the foe, but not so fast that they passthrough foe. I'm using circular collision and the foe have a circle of radius 4 with origin placed at the center of their circular-sprite. The bullets are small with radius of 1 or 2. Everytime a bullet is colliding within the foe's circle the game takes the angle between the bullet and the foe (the bullet-foe-angle) and applies a force in that direction onto the foe. Normally this would mean any bullets fired at the foe push the foe in a 'general direction away' from the bullet's point of origin but not necessarily in the direction of the bullet's projectory(unless it's a dead-on hit). But a bullet which first appears on the other side of the foe's origin... is going to push it forwards, towards the bullet's point of origin. Also of note is that the last bullet to hit the foe before it hits 0 hp determines the direction of the foe's ragdoll/corpse effect(any small bullet bump basically gets pronounced for a second or two). Each object has a dx,dy variable tabulating all the forces applies on it that frame then added to their x,y.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #gebemodaso-0 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Asteroids

Movement: Arrow Keys
Shoot: X

Clear as many asteroids as you can - the more you clear, the more difficult it gets! How long can you survive?

1 comment

Cart #proceduralworlds-3 | 2022-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm making a game with procedural world genration and decided to post the generator here. If you have some suggestion, please tell me xD.

0 comments

Cart #ggaughan_shmdown-0 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

shmdown

A shoot-em-up developed for the Basic Shmup Showcase game jam.

Controls

• Up/Down
  • Left/Right
  • X to fire
  • Z to flip direction

Credits

Code: Greg Gaughan
Music: @gruber_music

4 comments

Hi I'm currently working on my first project in pico-8 and I loosely followed a tutorial on collision detection and I wrote this function

function colliderect(x1,y1,w1,h1,x2,y2,w2,h2)
	xs = w1/2 + w2/2
	ys = h1/2 + h2/2
	xd = sqrt((x1)^2+(x2)^2)
	yd = sqrt((y1)^2+(y2)^2)
	if ((xs > xd and ys > yd)) then
		return false //colliding
	else
		return true //not colliding
	end
end

which takes the x and y coordinates and the width and height of two objects and calculates if they collide. The function itself seems to work as it should and gives the correct result when manually inputting the data but when I implement it like this

function update_player()
	for i in all(bullets) do
		if (not colliderect(player.x,player.y,player.w,player.h,i.x,i.y,i.w,i.h)) then
			sfx(1)	
		end
	end			
end

it doesn't work anymore. Even if I am standing right on the bullet it doesn't play the sound it should when colliding (and yes I did check if it's the right SFX). I am also not getting any errors when running the program so I don't really know what's wrong. Any help would be very much appreciated.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #zodujazuhu-1 | 2022-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Fixed the bug (I had an older verison of pico8 and the sub() function behaved differrently, thanks to @choo-t for the solution)

(The game was made for the basic shmup showcase jam following the lazydev'tutorials)

My thoughts on the game:

I followed the tutorials without a lot of changes to the game so at the start of the jam I had to choose what to do with the game I already had, I felt really inspired playing stick it to the stickman and I wanted some similar mechanics in my game, I decided to keep the wave game mode as some kind of "campaign" in which u could win the game and then add the mechanic I wanted in a new infinite game mode. I considered having just one game mode but I didn't think it would change remarkably in terms of token because for the new game I'd still have to copy most the code (I also considered starting from scratch but it seemed to much work), I struggled a little with the token limit in the last days but I guess that no matter what I would still probably have reached it.
Also a few times I lost sight of the vision and just started to add whatever came to mind in the game, I think I should have dedicated more time in the beginning into planning what power ups I wanted in the game and how they could interact with each other (e.g., the xp boost is almost useless it just makes you go faster through the game I thought it made sense when I introduced it in the game because the difficulty was time based while now is level based but still it didn’t really add much to the gameplay)
One interesting tradeoff I had is that the token limitation made me think about writing most of the code in a string and then turning it into code with a function, turning for example an array in a string and then have a function go through it and create the array or do it for function parameters, decreasing the readability of the code. (I only reached the limit toward the end so I only used it in a few arrays that I knew I would probably never modify again)
(English isn’t my first language and I’m writing this after testing and debugging the game if there are some mistakes I’m sorry and pls let me know)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

17 comments

Cart #wubujo-0 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hey everyone!

I bought pico-8 as both a fun hobby for myself, but also to get my 6-year-old daughter into game development. We had a blast creating this, and it is our first game! It is a short adventure-platformer with a day/night mechanic that changes the levels a bit.

We have collaborated on everything from music, to art, level design, and even some code. She has proudly drawn pixel art, and decided on the main mechanics of the game, as well as the levels (and boss!).

She wanted me to release this game "to the world" 😊 so obviously it's going on here. It's incredibly short, and more of both me and her learning the pico-8 platform.

We hope you enjoy this brief little platformer!

Cart #tokapamiwe-1 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

Cart #monkeyisland_2022_9_20_3-0 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

An animated section of the first scene of the great game The Secret of Monkey Island.

2 comments

Cart #guzonawasi-10 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

-Tumbleweeds you miss will pile up to the left, filling the screen and cutting of your space to move. The game ends when tumbleweeds fill all the way to the right.
-Hit shots without missing to fill your combo meter and get score multipliers.
-Shooting quickly will lower your accuracy. Let the recoil go down to stay accurate.

This game was created as part of Lazy Devs Academy's Basic Shmup Showcase.

I made this game to try and break some of the conventions I often see in the shmup genre. The combo system rewards accuracy over holding down fire the entire time. The low visual clutter aids comprehension, and the theme and setting offer a bit of variety to a genre full of ships shooting other ships.

Consider supporting my game on

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Wikipedia said that the Electric Piano 2 slot is often an FM piano patch, so I went in and tried to make something with a similar vibe:

[sfx]

8 comments

Cart #bobworld-15 | 2022-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

6 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->