BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #furlockbones1-0 | 2022-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello folks, this is my first PICO-8 cart! Yay.

I decided to use PICO-8 for my CS50 final project.

I hope you enjoy the game and I plan on adding more to it.

Cheers and good luck to everyone out with their projects, unfinished or otherwise.
Mackeriah

0 comments

Cart #detyopaki-0 | 2022-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls & Rules
Press X when the blue line goes into the red box

Behind The Scenes
This game took me about 10 minuets and was only made to test my speed.

Credits
All programming and art is done by me.

4 comments

MANIC CTF

Cart #king_swood_manicctf_1_1-0 | 2022-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Player 1 (orange) - ESDF
Player 2 (blue) - Cursor Keys

Gameplay

A simple multiplayer button-mashing game where the aim is to capture the flag from your opponent and hold onto it for the duration of the round.

If the flag is dropped, just run over it to pick it up.

If your opponent has the flag, run into them to steal it from them.

A player must hold onto the flag for a total of 15 seconds to win the round, and the eventual winner is decided by 2 round wins out of a possible 3.

Starting positions are randomised each round.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #want_you_gone-1 | 2022-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here it is: The great song from Portal 2.

Want You Gone
Original song by Jonathan Coulton

Made with ♥ by domske

Controls: ❎/🅾️ to toggle repeat mode.

8 comments

yet another redo of a past song I've remixed
except this time I started from scratch
took quite a while
so uhh...
enjoy!

Cart #sml2athletic-0 | 2022-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #brp_towersofsurvival-0 | 2022-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This game is my submission for the LOWREZJAM 2022, which requires games to have resolution of 64x64px.

Enemies are approaching. There are 10 waves of them. We need to survive.

There are 3 types of towers you can build:

• laser - the fast one,
  • v-beam - the stronger one; its beam covers all tiles above and below, therefore you cannot build anything else on its way,
  • booster - this one makes all surrounding lasers and v-beams shoot longer and re-charger faster; you can "stack" boosters to increase total boost – each laser can be boosted up to 8 times and each v-beam up to 6 times (not 8, because 2 tiles are reserved.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

I need some help with the math for making an object move between 2 fixed positions, then slow down smoothly to the final position.

The cart contains my attempt to make this work but I cannot quite reach the end point, and therefore the mode variable does not change.

Can anyone see what is missing here, and what could I do to make the last few steps a bit faster? (It slows to a crawl at the end...!)

Many thanks in advance :)

Cart #demenifji-0 | 2022-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #butter_rooster-13 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game with a fighting rooster with butter in the foot.

Select a city on the menu and try to beat it's residents.

You need to get the rock, get impulse and shoot it on the zombie roosters.

Kill all the enemies to go to next wave.

Beat all the waves to defeat the selected city

CONTROLS

GET THE ROCK -> JUST COLLIDE WITH IT
SHOOT THE ROCK -> X
MOVE YOUR ROOSTER -> ARROW KEYS

• First official launch

• New maps for Grooster (grass and roooster, get it?)

• Menu added
  • Outlines added
  • Complete reform on graphics

• New cities added
  • New tiles added

• Cities completely setted up
    Game in constant work and various things can change
5 comments

Cart #toadtaxi-2 | 2022-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Platform game inspired by crazy taxi.

Version 1.11 fixes a small issue highlighted by @The21zonz and @dw817

2 comments

Cart #quickchessyness-4 | 2022-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A snappy little chess engine

1.41 small bug fix
1.4 Fixes an issue with castling and improves king safety.
1.3 Brings some small fixes and improvements.

5 comments

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help. I'm searching, but can't seem to find a solid answer.

I'm trying to find a way to create that ability to walk behind a tree, and in front of a tree, depending on which way you approach it. Does that make sense? Basically, the tree would be displayed in front of the player if they were going down to the tree. Whereas the player would appear in front of the tree if they walked upwards towards it.

I think maybe I have to render the screen in two sections? The stuff above the players x/y position, then the player, then everything below it? But this sounds jolly confusing!

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to get a better moving around situation then I have at the moment where it's really clunky and just stopping dead against any 8x8 object!!!

Help!!

4 comments

Good eeeevening!

Delve deep into the Carpathian Count's castle and destroy its evil once and for all! But beware! Bats, zombies, witches, skeletons and more plague his castle's many chambers. Clear out these ghouls and douse all the torches to advance. Then it's time say lights out to the Undead Count himself!

Hi all. I'm a graphic designer in my 50s and this is my first complete game (be gentle, heh). I was inspired by the LazyDevs Shmup tutorial and wanted to make something that felt a little arcade-y but which was a platformer as well. Most of the code came from following the Shmup tutorial code and solutions, coupled with some tips on creating a platformer from Nerdy Teachers. Honestly, I don't know how to categorize this game. Clearly it draws inspiration from Castlevania, but is a single screen wave/level/chamber at a time rather than side-scrolling.

I had a lot of fun creating this. The palette changes required a LOT of planning but it all worked out, and creating the sprites for it all was very satisfying. There are countless things I probably can do better on, code-wise, but I'm happy just to have completed it under the token limit, heh.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

27 comments

people have asked us a lot about whether the original PICO-8 Celeste features Granny, so i present OLDESTE, a game about that.

Cart #oldeste-1 | 2022-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(using the smalleste cart as a base: https://github.com/CelesteClassic/smalleste)

19 comments

Cart #aliengame-0 | 2022-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Use the arrow keys to move the alien. Use X to open your inventory, X together with Z to select items and Z to use the selected item.

If you want to delete your safe file, try to delete your browser cookies.

Rules

Go on a journey that involves collecting items, talking to cats, shooting slime and bringing honey to a mysterious client. Find your way through the labyrinth and don`t get impaled by the spikes!

Story

Somehow, Ale, the alien, finds himself in New Sock City, where weird things are going on. Immediately, he senses the presence of his arch nemesis Ginger, the ninja! After getting orders of a strange person on the phone, Ale decides to take action and does what he does best - and just drifts along...

Behind The Scenes

I had the idea for this game when I was still in high school, but I never found the time to actually make it. In June 2022, I bought an Anbernic retrogame console and whilst setting it up, I found out about PICO-8. On my days off, I spent a lot of time playing PICO-8 games and reading about this console. After about a week, I decided to make my own game and in my summer holidays I was programming in the evenings as well as creating the sounds and sprites for this game. I had a lot of help with the design from my partner Lea and she composed most of the music, for it is not something I'm good at. In total it took us about 8 weeks to finish this game.

I'm really happy that it was possible for me to realize this project and make Ale a real game character. I am very excited to add more titles to this franchise in the future and I hope to one day release a more sophisticated version beyond what is possible with the PICO-8 engine. I did in fact start to work on a Unity version of Alien Game back in 2020, but had to pause the development due to a lack of time.

Credits

Development, Design, Graphics and Soundeffects:
Morris Roman Glowacki
aka Kultura

Music, some graphics, level designs and sounds:
Lea Nagelschmied

Based on tutorials by:
Dylan Bennett

Part of the code taken from:
Doc_Robs
Mikamulperi
GradualGames

Special thanks to the PICO-8 community!

4 comments

TL;DR

Shmup in early WIP. O shoots up. X shoots down. Held and tapped shots behave differently. Don't get hit in the gold ball. Happy pew pew!

The Lowdown

This is a casual game jam game and my project for the LAZY DEVS PICO 8 SHMUP JAM being run on the Shmup Junkies Discord. It's gonna to be slow going as I don't have a ton of dev time to dedicate, but we're having a good time.

This release is titled:
You can do it, Inako! Wait, what's "honest dodging"?

In it, core movement and attacking is implemented and two stationary enemies are firing an early implementation of a bullet pattern. The "Jack" enemies are intended to be mid-tier grunts in the finished title, but the Nightmare King has temporarily buffed them up to proper mid-bosses for this release. Enjoy your brief moment of fame, Jack. Try to take them out while suffering as few hits as possible!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #affiliatesattack-2 | 2022-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

I need some ideas for a new game because I kinda wanna make a new game, your name will be credited in the game (or maybe the games post, idk)

3 comments

Battle Government Regulators in this exciting fighter!

Unfortunately, you can only do your best to avoid the blows of the regulators, as they run their investigation- There is no attack. However, if you are lucky enough to survive one minute of the investigation, you will have the opportunity to lick the boots of each regulator and advance to the next level!

Survive all three regulators to win the game.

Cart #regulator_rumble-0 | 2022-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #crossfire-29 | 2022-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

hey I'm Aktane - I THINK IVE GOT SOMETHING!!! ENJOY!!!!

Aug 30 - final boss added! ooooo boy! but no boss music yet :)

Aug 29 - Getting used to the music editor and time for some jams! getting there!

Aug 28 - the level gets bigger, now everything MINUS the final boss and the music, and scoring tweaks are in! lots of Quality upgrades, power up is BACK!, we have tuning on the HP of many things, we also have some bullet sealing so you dont get SHOT IN THE ASS by the aimed shot turrets....

Aug 27 - Made Repair faster, added a ton new enemies, put together a new level, enjoy!!!! powerup is down for now but it will be back :)

Aug 24 - Back from Vacation and made the game a bit easier, and LOTS and LOTS of Code Reconfiguring and Bug Fixes... but there's still way more work to be done :) NEW POWERED UP SHIP SPRITE THO! :)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cart #yuwowanugo-0 | 2022-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->