BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #towapabupu-7 | 2022-10-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Thanks to @dw817 for bear trap sprites and keystrokes bug fix!
A sequel has been released! Sadly, it's not made in PICO-8, it's made in HaxeFlixel, check it out here
You play as gelpi, the brother of jelpi, he was walking in demoland,
and he found.. COINS!? HE WAS RICH! But that didn't last long...
He stepped into a trap, and he went into the maze.
But many other people have left notes in the maze...
Find your way through the maze, collect all the coins,
and go back to demoland.
Screenshots and Gameplay:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Pico-8 QR-code distributable games (How to)

With the addition of the Save @Url feature along with the web runner for educational purposes we got a mobile optimized means of sharing games via a URL. And one thing that QR codes are decent at is allowing users with phones to scan the symbols and redirect to webpages.

Here are the steps to make it happen.

1. Have the right version of Pico-8

You should be able to accomplish this from any version of Pico-8 that is (0.2.4c) or above. This includes the free educational version.

2. Limitations and considerations

While you will be limited both by Pico-8's 2048 limit for using this method & QR code limitations depending on the type of QR code used this is still a very unique and interesting alternative to cartridges to share your Pico-8 games with a quick scan immediately playable on a friends phone.

When saving the game as a URL only the code and graphics will be stored. That means other elements (like sounds) will probably need to be handled directly in code perhaps with print control codes.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

22 comments

Cart #elementary_ca-0 | 2022-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Hello !
Is there way to enable standart Android keyboard for type code ?

1 comment

Cart #sky_fighters-8 | 2022-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"Sky Fighters" by Lokistriker

A top-down, fast-paced shooter where you pilot a plane and use it to dogfight against those that seek to bring you down. Easy to understand but hard to master, the balance of risk-reward for score maximization while trying to not get overwhelmed is what this game is about! Try to reach to the highest score!

Controls (in game):

• UP - Increase Speed (letting go will slowly decrease it)
  • LEFT & RIGHT - Turning
  • X - Shoot your gun!
  • ENTER - Pause/Options

Additional Notes:

Inside the options menu there are some notable options that might ease your playtime:

• Toggle Clouds: When using phones, this option might help performance. (Might reduce dizziness if the rotating motion is too strong)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

An Adventure Game!

Cart #nupprjo-0 | 2022-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #notgood-0 | 2022-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Version "2", made for ONLY user normanwolf.
(Don't take this seriously, anyone else.)

2 comments

I'm using PICO-8 on a MAC and I find that the desktop version has somewhat soft/blurry text. This is especially noticeable when comparing it to the web based educational version. I took a screenshot comparing the desktop version (on the left) to the web editor (on the right). Is there any settings I can change on the desktop version to make the text as sharp as the web based editor?

3 comments

Cart #rockfall-8 | 2024-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An "amazing" infinite game that I made. It's my first PICO-8 game!

5 comments

Oracle's Inn

Practise Malpractise

Cart #oracles_inn-0 | 2022-08-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Oracle's Inn

Welcome to my potion shoppe ! I'm glad to have you here . However, I can sense dark waters in your future. I know just the ingredients…

Controls

• Left/Right: Navigate
  • X or Z: Submit
  • Enter: Pause

Rules

Somehow it looks like every customer that enters your potion shoppe is cursed with a terrible fate ! Perhaps conveniently ( or unfortunately ) you know remember the ingredients for just the right potion ! ...or at least you think you remember

Over the course of a regular 9-5 you'll be shown the cruel fates your customers will suffer . Quickly brew up a potion to give them a new lease on life , and be home just in time for tea ! The only problem is , all the ingredients are unlabeled , so you might have to stumble into the correct concoctions.. or not ! if they end up dying you still got paid !

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #highnoon-2 | 2022-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's High Noon

This is my PICO-8 remake of Ocean Soft's Highnoon, originally made for the C64 by Andrew Spencer and Steve Wiggins.

There are a lot more bullets on screen in my version and the gameplay is much faster. Also there are no abducted saloon girls in my game since they are all pretty much capable of defending themselves.

How to play: Waves

• Use the D-pad or arrow keys to move around.
  • Shoot by tapping or holding the primary button or x.
  • Hold down the secondary button or c to keep firing in the same direction.

How to play: Duels

Wait for the games title plate to vanish and the "Draw!" text to appear on screen and shoot quickly using the primary or secondary button. Shoot too early and you will lose a life.

Hints

• Shoot outlaws early during the levels to get a higher bonus at the end of a wave in duels.
  • Keep moving around since outlaws will always shoot in your general direction.
  • You can exit the screen to the left and right to reappear on the opposite side. Use this to your advantage to avoid bullets.
  • From wave three onwards outlaws will throw dynamite sticks at you. Shoot the dynamite to kill outlaws.
  • Horses (wave 4 onwards) can't kill you but the riders might.

The Bountydex

In duels you will fight a variety of outlaws with randomly generated names and titles. There are ten special titles that can be collected in your Bountydex by shooting them in duels. Since it is a chance of like 1000:1 to meet one of these titles exactly there are two ways of unlocking these titles.

Let's take a look at the second item, the Blind Barber.

Now let's say you meet a Furious Barber in a duel and you shoot them. Justice in the Wild West was just a word and since you shot a barber, the item will be crossed off your Bountydex with one stroke even if it was not a blind barber. After all how many wanted barbers can there be?

Now let's say you got really lucky and you meet the Blind Barber against all the odds. You shoot them and their title will be crossed off the Bountydex with two strokes. It might be not possible to meet the exact titles for the entire Bountydex but you are welcome to try.

And yes: many innocent barbers were shot in the Wild West.

To access the Bountydex press down on the title screen. Press up to get back to the title.

Bonus game: High-Low

There is also a hidden bonus game of dice. To access it, press right on the title screen.

You can bet on how you think the numbers of the next roll of dice turn out compared to the displayed pair of dice: higher or lower. Bet your money accordingly to raise your high score.

By the way: The more entries you got collected in your Bountydex the more money you start out with.

I actually researched dice games of the old west and it appears that back in the days people really played this game besides poker.

Update v1.1 Hotfix

• Fixed a bug where you lost all lives when you got shot after earning an extra life.

Update v1.2

• Added a money cap for the High-Low mini game to prevent PICO-8 from going nuts.
  • Added a few more outlaw names for good measure.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #wohagikumu-0 | 2022-08-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Monkey Jumper!

Have fun with my first platformer Game! πŸ˜„πŸ˜‰

Alpha version :D

4 comments

Cart #tefomasuhe-0 | 2022-08-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pretty noice circle... :)

6 comments

I've played around a lot with using sspr() to palette shift custom areas of the screen, so I thought I'd share a function for doing so over a circular area. It's also what led me to make this suggestion here https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=48796 It's not essential to any of my projects right now but I figured I'd call a bit more attention to it.

function ssprcircfill(x,y,r)
pal(split"0,0,0,2,13,2,5,4,8,9,3,1,6,9,14")
poke(0x5f54,0x60)
	for i=0,r do
		for op=-1,1,2 do
			local height,lefx=640*sqrt((r/320)^2-(i/320)^2),x-i*op
			local top=y-height/2
			if top<=0 then
				height+=top
				top=0
			end
			height=min(height,128)
			sspr(lefx,top,1,height,lefx,top,1,height)
			if(i==0)break
		end
	end
	poke(0x5f54,0x00) pal()-- return to defaults
end	

To change what colors are shifted to what, just change the numbers in the pal function!

0 comments

Cart #the_canine_within1-2 | 2022-08-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Welcome to the Sneaky Boy's Doghouse, Where everything is "perfect" and "nothing" is awry... There's no need to escape! Everydog loves it here! Enjoy your stay!

Enjoy my first mod of The Demon Within! A Classic Style Rogue-Like! I've eased the difficulty of the game comparative to The Demon Within!

Game Content

• 6 Dogs to love
• 34 Different Canine-Centric Items
• 7 Item Types
• A Mysterious, "Happy" Little Story
• Many Challenging Floors
• 10 Different Enemies

NPC’s

There are npc's in the game. Bump into them to talk with them!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #sunriseglow-0 | 2022-08-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little intro referencing an amiga intro from way back in time (1988). My first executable demoscene entry, my first pico-8 cart. Released in 2022 at Assembly, third place in the wild compo (that had three entries :D)

1 comment

(v01 08-12-22)

Cart #mystar-2 | 2022-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #mystar .

VVhat's New ?

(08-12-22)

• Gave each room a name based upon its shape and design.
  • Increased from 11 to 16 sample rooms to explore and find exits to.
  • Improved search routine, is faster and more efficient.

Once the program is loaded, press a key to continue.
then use LEFT ⬅️ and RIGHT ➑️ arrow keys to select a default wall and πŸ… and πŸ…‘ arrangement. Or if you don't want one, just choose the first one seen here, "The Void" (#1) and press πŸ…ΎοΈ to continue.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #foxpeditiondemo-2 | 2022-08-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The demo for my new game.

7 comments

sspr should inherently shorten the input width/height of the rectangle taken from the sprite sheet to 128 instead of just cancelling the call completely to better work with programs that mess with stuff like using sspr while treating the screen space as the sprite sheet.

0 comments

Cart #tmnt_sp_start-0 | 2023-04-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES in:

SHREDDER's PREVENGE

Controls for keyboard:

Player 1: Dpad for movement, Z for jump, X for attack.
Player 2: ESDF for movement, W for jump, Q for attack.

changelog:

v 0.5

APRIL Update! New everything! Again!

Features:

Brand new FULL OST by RidgeK found HERE!

Speedier, punchier combat!

Better graphics!

3 boss fights!

Working arcade with classic PICO-8 games!

Voice acting! (sorta)

A second level! (kinda)

Unlockable secrets!

Your favorite Heroes in a Half Shell are back, exclusively on the PICO-8 BBS.

If you are interested in some of the snapshots of the development of this game (or you just really miss one of the old versions), check out

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->