BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #sii-2 | 2022-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The adventures of sii...

original code (jelpi.p8): https://github.com/skrzyp/jelpi/find/master

5 comments

Cart #helitack-0 | 2022-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play above, search Splore for "helitack" or use LOAD #HELITACK from your PICO-8 commandline.

Only you can help...

Budgets are tight and staff is short so we're looking for volunteers to help keep our parks safe and beautiful.

Your job is to partol the park and rescue lost hikers and contain any forest fires that might get started. If you can keep things under control for 3 shifts, you can become a full-time helitack ranger.

Your helicopter is equipped with all the gear you need to get the job done. Stay focused, stay calm, and do your best.

We also recommend reading the handbook. It might just save a life.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #dicezilla-0 | 2022-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry to GMTK2022 Gamejam (you can rate it here : https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam-2022/rate/1618082)

This is a card game where you fight Godzilla in a turn based fight. Each action is done by selecting card and paying it with dice.

The effect of each card appears on top of the screen when you hover the card. Each [ ] on the instruction are a receptacle for a dice.

You cannot play the dice twice a turn, when you play a dice, it disappear. So each turn you have 4 dices to spend on any card you want.

The dice can evolve with a special card to become D4->D6->D8->D10.

This is the jam version. I plan to do a better version with more card an a little more polish at the end of the jam.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #union_intro-0 | 2022-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A remake of the intro screen from the Union Demo. When the Union Demo was released I was in my teens. I had already started experimenting with programming and it (and similar demos) was definitely instrumental in pushing me towards a career in software development. I've made this little tribute while learning the basics of PICO-8.

1 comment

Cart #echobyadventure-0 | 2022-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

just a quick game i made with the Dylan Bennett Top-Down Adventure Game Tutorial to learn the basics of PICO-8.

1 comment

Cart #hawaridate-0 | 2022-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

hi, just added my little charity game :)

cheers
tony warriner

2 comments

first post here in a while
so uhh I'm no longer on hiatus, which is good
and I basically made an entire soundtrack in the meantime so... uhh... look forward to that
here's something for now so... enjoy!

0 comments

Cart #almiropotamon00001-0 | 2022-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just testing out my first attempt at this...

0 comments

Cart #kindawarm_v2-0 | 2022-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

Cart #splash_zone-0 | 2022-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is game I made for a 72 hour game jam. The theme was "Seaside" and the limitation was "everything dies in one hit".

I tried making something with an one-on-one fighting game adjacent feel. With the one hit kill limitation I wanted to make something akin to a Bushido Blade or Divekick where it's all about getting that perfect hit.

It was my first time attempting a more complicated AI in Pico-8. I had some issues getting it to work well with the performance limitation and development time constraints. I had to do some quick and dirty fixes like making the opponent automatically dodge away if they get stuck on a wall. I think I got it to a playable state, even if it is a bit easy.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

It has been a while since I have posted, lol. This is because I have been working hard on a brand new game, which I will not name, for the past few years. I haven't had much fun developing this modification of Pico Night Punkin. So I decided to cancel this mod and put this mod in the hands of the community. You can do whatever you want with this mod. Remix it, remaster it, and maybe even add crazy mechanics to it! BUT please do credit me for the art (if you even use it;) you don't have to credit me for the rest. Have fun doing whatever you want to do with this project!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YITA2gbzVhzcv-eoM7wkNIgFeYkuEHjO?usp=sharing

3 comments

I've been working on a song in RP-8, and I've recently modified RP-8 to not just write song files to the clipboard, but also to timestamped save files on the desktop. After a long session of working on the song, I tried to save, and got a message about there being too many printh files.

I wouldn't have lost too much work - the whole reason I have this many files is that I've been checkpointing frequently - and I was able to get the data out of the clipboard, but it was still frustrating. This was a very long session, Pico-8 had probably been open for 12 hours or more while I'd been working off and on. Creating so many save files would certainly be a problem if Pico-8 had only been open for a few minutes, but over 12 hours I feel like it's not unreasonable?

I'd love for Pico-8 to reset its number of files / amount of data limits after some period of time, even an hour or two would be fine for my purposes.

I'd imagine this isn't super high prio, but it would be very nice. As I get closer to releasing RP-8 I'm starting to think more about awkward situations and edge cases I'll have to explain in the docs, and this would certainly be one of them. The really awkward thing about this one is that it undermines trust (since the user feels like they're losing work), and it's somewhat difficult to get around in a nice-feeling way...

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #my_first_dice_game-0 | 2022-07-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help a game dev make their first dice game the best it can be.

2 comments

Cart #yachtrocks-1 | 2023-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Revision History

• 1.1 (2023-04-29)

Fixed bug that caused 1-3-3-4-6 and 1-3-4-4-6 to resolve as small sraight.

• 1.0 (2022-07-17)

Initial release

Synopsis

Yacht Rocks is a single player 64x64 PICO-8 version of the dice game Yacht (not the brand name game, please don't come at me, Hasbro!). You roll 5 dice (up to 3 rolls per turn) and try to score the most points possible in all the categories. Surely everyone's played this game in some form, right? It's a classic!

I wrote this because it's a favorite activity of my sister & I when we're together. We get very competitive about it! I only see her every few years or so & I miss her a lot between those times. I thought this would be fun for her to play & screenshot for me while we're apart so we could compete between visits :).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #x_equals_rng-0 | 2022-07-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game I made in two days for the GMTK game jam 2022 (you can rate it here: https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam-2022/rate/1618378).

Its like a normal platformer, but the X button changes function randomly after each time you use it. There are three possible states it can switch to, and you have to think quickly using the move you end up with at any moment.

Personally, I think that this idea to utilize the theme wasn't the best. It certainly is somewhat creative, but it isn't always the most fun or engaging as I hoped.

I do have 16 more hours till submission closes, but I hope to spend at least 7 of those sleeping, and the rest doing things that mean I can't work on the game.

4 comments

My first shot at cellular automata based map generation. Mildly interactive.
Z - algorithm iteration
X - reset
Up - increase noise density
Down - decrease noise density

Cart #interactive_ca_example-3 | 2022-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Only gamepads 0-3 are recognized by pico-8

Hi folks,

I can't seem to get pico8 to recognize gamepads beyond 4. Granted, my testing mechanism is a little haphazard, but I am confident it is working correctly.

Test procedure

Since I don't actually own enough gamepads to test this, I am using a python script to create "virtual" gamepads on my machine. Script for this is here: https://github.com/paloblanco/bros_mansion/blob/master/gamepad_test.py . This script registers 8 controllers, then just presses the a button once a second (which ought to get a response from my game).

Here's a screenshot of the whole setup. Note that windows recognizes 8 gamepads being plugged in.

desktop while running gamepad test script

I wait 3 seconds in between "plugging in" controllers so that I can watch them get registered in pico8. Only the first 4 get registered. I can't catch a gif of the joystick prompt appearing, so you will have to take my word for it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I am very new to coding and pico 8 has made it that much easier for me to start. It's been a lot of fun!

In the last couple of months, I've been playing around with code and following various tutorials on youtube. Recently I started working on a rudimentary pinball game. It now has a bouncing pinball on scrolling table using the full vertical length of the map. While collision works for the most part, the ball does often 'catch' on sides of flagged tiles.

I would really appreciate some advice on what I am doing wrong in the collision functions.

... and a supplementary query I have is can I use existing code to change the angle at which the pinball deflects? I suspect it will require trigonometry but thought I'd check before moving on...

Cart #jisabokaji-0 | 2022-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

7 comments

Cart #zosagukane-0 | 2022-07-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Updated to include World 6!

Hello, this here is NOT a fully contained Mario game, but instead a world map for a Super Mario Maker 2 project of mine.
You might be wondering why I chose to make this when super worlds exist, but to answer that: this project was started before super worlds were introduced! I decided to keep working on it even after the fact because super worlds do not include secret exits and cannons.
If you'd instead like to play through it as a super world, here is my Maker ID: 844-PXJ-HCG
The project laid dormant for a while, so this here is a demo featuring all the levels I had completed. It goes up to World 5. Timestamps for 'date modified' are included next to each level, just to show how old some of these are.

Cart #bbmapdemo6-0 | 2023-06-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->