BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #circle_timer-0 | 2022-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

14 comments

Cart #race-3 | 2022-06-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was practicing extreme optimization and came up with this cart
There's not a lot to see here but what matters is that it works

Edit:The original took up 182 characters, this new version takes up only 176 characters

Edit2:Thanks to @p01, the new version takes up 133 characters. Unfortunately, not all the techniques
could be implemented without problems as racer 5 was the only one that could win in your code

Edit3:I was able to make the cart smaller by 3 characters which is not that bad

5 comments

Cart #faultb-0 | 2022-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

credit to @SandwichBlam for fault
verified by me

13 comments

Description from the itch.io page:

You're a bee, and for some reason I still do not comprehend, you decided to get some honey. In the middle of the rain. The drops are twice as bigger than you. You might die if you get hit by one. And the rain gets worse the more honey you collect. That wasn't the best idea you've gotten.

Made in 4 hours for the Crunchy Jam, hosted by Celesmeh.

Still has noticeable bugs, since I couldn't get time for enough bugfixing sadly.

Cart #riskyhoney-0 | 2022-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

3 comments

Big Mapper

Click here for Github Repo for BigMapper

This is a utility for pico8, designed for editing map data. It will eventually be expanded upon, allowing you to edit and save to the pico8 extended memory. Its current major feature is allowing you to edit maps at 256x256 pixels, giving you a lot of breathing room.

I have chosen not to upload this to the bbs, for two reasons:

1. It doesn't run properly on the web, due to the inability to pass commandline arguments to pico8 at startup.
  2. This is very much a "dev" tool, and not having it on your local PC doesn't make sense for its intended use case.

That being said, I encourage you to check it out, if for no other reason than to see how nice it is to have high-res utilities, and to see how easy it is to make them!

Setup

This cannot be run standalone - it must be run from the pico8 desktop client.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #honeydr0p-0 | 2022-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small game made for the Lazy devs discord's game jam, the Crunchy jam!

The jams rules meant I had 4 hours to make the game, with those time constraints in mind I made this. You need to reach 100 to win- fall below 0 points and you lose!

5 comments

Cart #shipgame-0 | 2022-06-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

little spaceship game i made. as per usual, started out simple, then had me bashing my head against the wall with frustration. but it turned out in the end.

explore the galaxy! follow the markers to find star clusters!
steer the ship with ⬅️ and ➡️! control your speed with ⬆️/🅾️ and ⬇️! hold ❎ to hyperjump to a new galaxy!

3 comments

Cart #fewekopego-0 | 2022-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Cart #fault2-1 | 2022-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

special thanks to @kuliat

19 comments

Cart #wooltergeist-0 | 2022-06-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Z = possess/out
hold X = reset level

You're a demon in training.

Before you're allowed to cause any real trouble,
you need to practice on sheep.

Lead all the sheep into the sacrificial pit
to open up the hellevator to the next level.

Made by Brian Wo & me for GMTK Game Jam 2020,
with small edits made in 2022 :)

1 comment

Cart #sloppysliders-0 | 2022-06-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help a lost penguin baby find its way back home 🐧

Made by three friends on a rainy day in Odense, Denmark on the 9th of June, 2022.

Notes

• When all 11 levels has been completed, a special "zombie mode" is unlocked!
  • Some of the levels are difficult, especially in zombie mode. We were tempted to tweak them in the days that followed, but decided not to, to honor the spirit of the game jam.
  • We would love to hear your thoughts and comments if you played the game! ❤️

Credits & Thanks

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

I really like this song so I tried transcribing it into pico8,
Pretty happy with how it came out. left a empty slot in case I wanted to do other variations.
[sfx]
(some stuff like the viola part or whatever that is might be a bit off but eh. remix!)

0 comments

Cart #yiwatipuji-0 | 2022-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Hi,

I'm writing to announce tspico8, a project which allows you to create PICO-8 games using TypeScript. For anyone unfamiliar with TypeScript, it's a superset of JavaScript, and it allows you to annotate your code with static type declarations so that the compiler can find a lot of errors for you.

Some of the benefits include:

• Write PICO-8 games in a powerful language with a lot of builtin safety
  • Take advantage of tooling to improve code quality (linting, formatting, etc)
  • Minify code automatically to reduce token size (multiple configuration options)
  • Utilize an external spritesheet if you want to (make sprites with aseprite, etc)

For anyone that's curious, the technical details of how this works are as follows:

• TypeScript is compiled to JavaScript
  • JavaScript is minified (compressed and mangled)
  • Minified JavaScript is transpiled to PICO-8 compatible Lua
  • Everything is packaged into a cart (code & spritesheet)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience importing or transcribing music from a common music editor into PICO-8.

I have a friend who is musically inclined (no coding experience, does not own PICO-8) and was interested in asking him to compose a track for my PICO-8 game.

I have a rudimentary music understanding, and no experience using music composition software.

Is there a way to import music from a midi-like composition software into PICO-8? Or is there an easy way to transcribe music from a file to the PICO-8 cart? Ideally I would be able to import a midi file or similar, or could read the composition in a notation format and transcribe it to the PICO-8 music editor.

My best option so far is to have him learn and use the PICO-8 educational version, and then I copy the music from his cart to mine.

Let me know if you have any advice/suggestions!

2 comments

Hello everyone!

I have an idea for a roguelike dungeon game and I'm trying to flesh out ideas for map generation. Unlike a lot of roguelikes where the entire map is procedurally generated per floor, I wanted to create a set of rooms that are selected from as you move through the game. Each room would essentially be a pre-generated layout, but randomly chosen as the player passes through a new door (think tabletop games like Betrayal with room tiles.) The edge of map space would be like your deck of room tiles. As you move, you flip a new tile onto the board, building the map as you go.

My plan was to design each room at the edges of the map space, and then sort of copy and paste them into the center of the map space as needed. Something like the diagram below:

0--2--4--1--?

the player would start in the room (0) and as they moved through the door, the next room (1 through 4) would be selected from the list of rooms and added in line for the player to enter. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to store a room (maybe as an array or string) and redraw it in a different location on the map.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #wizardhop-1 | 2022-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Originally Made For The PPJJGG Jam

Climb as high as you can in this procedurally generated tower. Collecting orbs and killing enemies rewards you with buffs, but getting hit will punish you with debuffs. Enough buffs will result in movement and combat based abilities.

To avoid falling to your certain doom, try to adapt to your current stats and counter your debuffs with their positive variants.

Remember: Its okay to fail. No mage have been able to understand the tower on their first tries!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #downstreamdream-2 | 2023-01-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

UPDATE 1/14/2023, v1.1:
This update couldn’t have happened without @thisismypassword’s contributions to the community. I recently began overhauling my build pipeline for future projects, and one of the first features I added was Shrinko8. Since Downstream Dream is my only project to use the full build pipeline, I used it for testing output from the new minifier, which led to some token golfing. Thanks to this tip, also by @thisismypassword, I was able to free up about 100 tokens! Changes include:

• Midboss section contains more action and a couple new sprites/sfx

[ Continue Reading.. ]

27 comments

Cart #hardvacuum01-0 | 2022-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is the first minimally playable prototype of my original game, Hard Vacuum. I have a lot more ideas to add to the game, but this checks all of the boxes of all of the concepts I wanted to implement at minimum. Please let me know what you think, and I hope to implement more levels, more polish, and more mechanics soon!

0 comments

When playing from a mobile device you (obviously) can’t use a keyboard.
I have a sick game idea but it really needs one.

I noticed that the mobile web GUI has a secret keyboard.
You can see it for a split second by setting the JavaScript variable:
pico8_state.show_dpad = 0

Does anyone know how to trigger this UI from a cartridge?

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->