BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #platformerbase-0 | 2022-03-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Platformer base. I'll do something with this later.

5 comments

So this is the reason I've been wanting to make a new post for a couple of days

One of my favorite coffee shops / board game stores within walking distance of my place has had this hanging on the wall for a while and every time I saw it it gave me a really strong Pico 8 vibe, a few months back I met up with some family there and I guess they caught me staring at the poster because a few weeks ago it was given to me as a late birthday present which rocks because i was a bit bummed that i didnt grab it earlier or figure out who the artist was

i know its not actually an ad poster but its pretty close. i may have to buy a pico8 logo sticker to apply to the outside of the frame

edit: if the author is a user here speak up, if not il post the artists info next time im in the shop and can ask "who did it" so credit can be applied

Another edit: it just says video game if anyone was wondering

0 comments

Hi, I haven't been on here in a long while, but I do own a copy of Pico 8, and even have a game WIP (That I never finished) and when I finally logged back in to give Pico another shot it seems I can't download any version of Pico 8. Can someone explain whats going on, and maybe fix it if it's a bug?

9 comments

Cart #membranemaster-0 | 2022-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Full version of Membrane Master.

2 comments

Cart #morsecode_trainer-0 | 2022-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
(ie. feel free to use it for whatever as long as you cite me)

controls:

• X button regenerates some non-fixed parameters
  • O button opens the debug menu (I encourage you to change parameters, colors, brush configuration)
  • touch/click the screen to paint with the brush
  • on PC: "s" button saves a screenshot, "g" button saves a gif

creator: Andrew E. Brereton
date: 2022-03-04
twitter: @aebrer
medium: Pico-8, Lua

Cart #ideocart_interfere-0 | 2022-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

2 comments

Cart #hspew-0 | 2022-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I'm just posting the first cartridge I was able to finish.

This is a tutorial by @ztiromoritz and can be found here: https://ztiromoritz.github.io/pico-8-shooter/#

I started coding and picked up Lua like 20 days ago and also found out about Pico-8. I did some other tutorials and I've been reading about coding and all that, but this one is important to me since it was the first tutorial that I could actually understand what I was copying from the tutorial to Pico-8!

-- what I added

1. Multiple enemies
  2. Multiple levels
  3. An ending

After finishing it, I added some extra features that I could code - after a lot of trial and error lol.

-- stuff that I ended up not adding because I don't know how to:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #zemehimera-0 | 2022-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I've been playing around with figuring out music on the Pico-8. I decided to whip together a quick title screen test. The code is supposed to play a little ditty (sfx(4)) on the title screen but nothing plays until after I press X to go to the next screen. As far as I can tell, code wise that shouldn't be happening. Any idea what's going on here?

function _init()

cls(0)

scene="title"

end

function _update()
if scene=="title" then
update_title()
elseif scene=="instructions" then
update_instructions()
elseif scene=="page2" then
update_page2()
elseif scene=="page3" then
update_page3()
end
end

function _draw()
if scene=="title" then
draw_title()
elseif scene=="instructions" then
draw_instructions()
elseif scene=="page2" then
draw_page2()
elseif scene=="page3" then
draw_page3()
end

end

function update_title()

if btnp(❎) then
    scene="instructions"
end

end

function draw_title()
cls(12)
sfx(4)
print("title page",30,45,10)
print("press ❎ to start",30,63)

end

function update_instructions()
if btnp(❎) then
scene="page2"
end
end

function draw_instructions()
cls(3)
print("instructions",40,5,7)
print("page 1",25,45,4)
print("press ❎ to continue",25, 120,7)
end

function update_page2()
if btnp(❎) then
scene="page3"
end
end

function draw_page2()
cls(3)
print("page 2",25,45,4)
print("press ❎ to continue",25, 120,7)
end

function update_page3()

end

function draw_page3()
cls(3)
print("page 3",25,45,4)

end

1 comment

I need help uploading a Celeste editor file to pico-8. Can someone help me?

8 comments

Cart #nutrispace_shooter-0 | 2022-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

6 comments

Cart #romeovsjuliette-0 | 2022-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Runner/versus/fighting game where the goal is to get the crown in the enemy's castle.
Project done for Ada Tech School.

0 comments

Cart #adacademy-1 | 2022-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Game :

Your mission is to discover the neighbourhood around the new school's address(in Paris) and get out of your comfort zone to discover the final surprise.

Controls :

Arrow keys - Move Picolas
[X] - Run and Close dialogue

Background :

We are four students from Ada Tech School Paris and for our first group project we had to make a game with Pico 8 in two weeks.

Credits :

Anne, Cyril, Helene and Myriam.
Four students at Ada Tech School

3 comments

Cart #curling-0 | 2022-03-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Curling!

A fairly detailed and accurate curling sim. Currently experiencing some ahem performance issues. Also only simulates one end as of now.

0 comments

Cart #lander_tutorial-0 | 2022-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
Move your Ship = Cursor
Restart = X

So here comes the second tutorial from Dylan Bennett's "Game Development with PICO-8". I would love to come back to this and add some animations.

Next Project will be the breakout-tutorial by lazy game dev on youtube.

0 comments

Cart #marsdefender-8 | 2023-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After a week of programming I'm happy to release Mars Defender.

It's my first game for PICO 8.

5 waves of attack will keep you occupied for about 10-15 minutes.

Your mission: Destroy all the aliens and save your men.

Keyboard controls:

Start game with x

Navigate ship with cursor keys.

x = fire
z = Go to intro page after game over.

Or use our favorite controller.

Enjoy!

4 comments

Cart #cavediver_tutorial-0 | 2022-03-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
up = cursor up
play again = X

I made this as my first project after the tutorial by Dylan Bennett in "Game Development with PICO-8".

Just changed the sprites and colors for now.

2 comments

3 comments

Does anyone know how to change the keyboard bindings in the HTML export?

I want to change the default key controls so that the keys are more natural for my game than the defaults for one and two-player play. Is that supported? In which file are the key bindings specified?

0 comments

Cart #replic8r0-0 | 2022-02-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Second pico-8 project, this unfinished/abandoned gameplay clone of "copycat" by terry cavanagh (distractionware.com)

Unfinished because the cart's design is just too stupid and any sort of effort to fix things via contrived hack solutions would be wasted compared to just starting fresh.

One day i want to make a "replic8r 1" from the ground up that is actually good, but in the meantime, figured if I'm done with this i might as well post it even if it's broken.

if you enjoyed the gameplay you should check out the original, and maybe even make your own take on it.

4 comments

Cart #wwhomper_wip-0 | 2022-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I challenged myself to complete a creative project every week for the rest of 2022, and this week was Pico-8.

For this week I decided to tackle a favorite infinite waves-of-enemies survival title from my childhood. It is my take on Worm Whomper by Tom Loughry on the Intellivision. I have included an Intellivision mode that gets a bit closer to the classic graphics.

Gameplay

Defend your corn from an onslaught of hungry pests!

Controls

• Move with direction keys
  • Z for plow ball
  • X to shoot

If you lose your gun grab a new one from the barn.

I am not a game artist, musician, or developer. As such, the code in this game is filled with redundancies, magic numbers, and is wildly optimized. I have a lot to do, but it is (mostly) playable for the limited effort I was able to put in while simultaneously trying to learn all the things. I had a blast getting this far, I learned a ton and can't wait to revisit Pico-8 in an upcoming week.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->