BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #dezaturiyu-1 | 2021-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First game using Pico8 as well as the first completed game I've made. Originally I was just going to follow Dylan Bennett's amazing tutorial but it ended up ballooning. While it's not that good of a game and the coding became kind of all over the place, it had been a really nice learning experience and I hope you enjoy!

Arrow keys to move, Z to interact, X to check inventory.

3 comments

When trying to save in the console, I keep getting the "Failed to save" error.

I've tried moving pico-8 off the desktop, and into my user folder, but it still isn't co-operating. ;-;

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2 comments

Cart #androids-0 | 2021-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey Pico-Community,

finally released my first Pico-8 game on itch after discovering the system two weeks ago. Following the motto "if you're not ashamed, you didn't release early enough" I "composed" two songs after watching a 5 minute tutorial, put it online today and mentally marked the game as "finished".

Being a "serious" software developer in real life, it felt refreshing to just hack around, change the motto of the game a couple of times and ignore any best practices of serious development for once -- I'm aware there's a lot to improve code-wise, but this is left for the next games :-)

Currently I'm extremely excited to look at other games, think about game ideas, hack around and enjoy the friendly discussions.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Disclaimer: This is just an idea, and not a feature in the next PICO-8 Update.

I was thinking about playing a multiplayer game, when I realized I didn't have any friends to play with (sad). So I've decided to ask @zep to add an online mode for the PICO-8 Application. My idea is to make a nickname editor and match maker so that people can play PICO-8 games together. This could also be good for play testing games you want to release.

1 comment

Cart #freneticsnake-2 | 2021-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Why another snake?

This cart's main purpose is to be easily editable by kids:

They can draw new snakes in the sprite sheet, run the cart and immediately play with their creation, no code to change. All they need to do is to draw after existing ones and to know the order of the sprites: the tail, rotated body, body and finally head. Since you're a good parent you will help them ;) :

They can also draw new food. As for snakes, just draw them after existing ones and run the game:

There are multiple options to be sure the kids are enjoying the game:

• There's a kids mode on start menu, with a relatively low speed and no acceleration.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #kumodot02-0 | 2021-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Second day learning Pico-8. Here's my updates. Learned how to do inertia (simple easy/friction), added trusts for all sides, controls feels nice, fire still needs to go into a table (need to learn that and get used to it). Temporary music, and intro. Added one alien placeholder sprite, but there's no collision detection yet.

Version Update. 04_03
Now with a hovering "Alien Mothership" and a Drone Soldier that fire back when you pass by him, but still no collision and fire needs to be tables. Added limits to trust so the ship don't get TOO fast.

Cart #kumodot02-2 | 2021-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

@zep this might be a very helpful feature for some people trying to make games based off of the map, or modders trying to mod games.

1 comment

Cart #captainbolorto-1 | 2021-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi!

I would like to present you with my first game: Captain Bolorto!
It's a shmup bullet hell inspired by legendary Cave's DoDonPachi.
It's a frantic game with flashing colors and screen shake, if you suffer from seizures please don't play it.

How to play?

-Tap (O) repeatedly to fire your blaster.
-Hold (O) to fire your laser and move slow.
-Press (X) to use your shield once it's charged.

Every time you get hit you lose one hit point and one of your auxiliary guns. If you are hit three times your ship explodes and you lose your score. You can keep playing though, as if you had infinite credits on an arcade.

What it has:

-Two weapons. You can mash (O) repeatedly to fire a barrage of bullets, or you can hold (O) to fire a powerful laser that deals extra damage to closer targets but makes you move slower.
-A shield. You can charge it by killing enemies, and when the bar is filled you can release it for protection.
-Different enemies with distinct bullet patterns.
-A scoring system that rewards you for being offensive.
-One boss
-Local co-op. Because games are always better if you share them with a friend!

What it doesn't have yet:

-An ending
-More than one level
-Scaling of difficulty for local co-op

What it will prolly never have:

-Different backgrounds
-More ships
-More weapons
-Upgrades

What I learned during this project:

-First of all, I learned about DoDonPachi. I didn't know about it, and was introduced to it by Krystian Majewski's (Lazy Devs) video about what genres to do in your first game.
-Then I learned about Lua, and I loved it. I had some experience with Java and Excel's VBA, and Lua is really nice to code.
-Finally I learned some technical things like how to rotate a vector, how to parse a string, scroll backgrounds, and I got to use some of my old high school math.

If you got this far, thank you for reading.
Please play my game and report back with whatever feedback you have (good or bad).
Cheers!

1 comment

Cart #kimyuzje-0 | 2021-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

One of the first things I've made in pico-8.
Made using the Nerdy Teachers cell tutorial-- https://nerdyteachers.com/Explain/Cells/
Only I added a start menu, improved the win screen, and adjusted the appearance of cells.

0 comments

Cart #discordsim-2 | 2021-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Discord Simulator

Press any button (X/C/V/Arrow keys) and enjoy the chaos.
Thanks to the people on the PICO-8 Discord for the profile pics/usernames/message suggestions. Special thanks to @Czarlo.

Please feel free to suggest more profile pics/usernames/messages! :) The dumber or cringier, the better!

25 comments

Cart #kumodot-0 | 2021-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

<THIS IS NOT A GAME it's my first step Studying pico-8>
And this is my first post on Pico-8 community too. I am a Senior 3D Artist. I am a maker and i create my own handhelds (based on RaspberryPi)-You can search for CompactPiArcade over instagram.
Not sure if i need to flag this code/cart as a Work In Progress... Sorry if I did anything wrong. I am learning how to post and to make part of all this.

This is my first steps (baby steps) and first attempt EVER doing something that looks like a "game". It's FAR from a game at this point, but it's a start.
Pico-8 is new for me, and i am not a coder. I am a 3DArtist, so everything here is PRETTY BASIC and probably messy. Any suggestions are very welcome.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #space_trader-1 | 2021-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Space Trader

About

Space Trader is a chill space exploring game in which you trade resources from asteroids.
Travel from planet to planet to found the best prices, but be careful because pirates will try to kill you.
Upgrade your ship (capacity or shield), fight enemies, buy low, sell high and have fun !

Features

• Infinite "universe"
  • Procedurally generated planets
  • Random prices relative to offer and demand
  • Asteroids-like controls

Trade

Fight

Explore

Update 1.1

• Added margin to HUD
  • Added margin to trade menu
  • Changed upgrade buttons (replaced LEFT/RIGHT by X/O)
  • Repair price is now cheaper
  • Danger text is now blinking
7 comments

Cart #zxspectrumkeyboardviewer-0 | 2021-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Navigate with D-pad, or press actual keys if you have a keyboard attached.

0 comments

Cart #faster_collision_demo-0 | 2021-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A basic rundown of a faster Bounding Box solution.

It uses screen partitioning to select only near objects to check for collision. What is currently running is essentially a worst case scenario where all objects are searching for all other objects with no direct referencing.

The Algorithm

function buildarr()
	colarr = {}
		for y=0,18 do
			colarr[y] = {}
			for x=0,18 do
				colarr[y][x] = {}
			end
		end
end

function entcol(self,name,action)
	xx = flr(self.x/8)+2
	yy = flr(self.y/8)+2
	for xt = xx-1,xx+1 do
		for yt = yy-1,yy+1 do
			for obj in all(colarr[yt][xt]) do
				checks += 1
				if (obj.name == name and obj!= self and boxcol(self,obj)) action(self,obj)
			end
		end
	end
end
coladd = function(self)
		xx = flr(self.x/8) + 2
		yy = flr(self.y/8) + 2
		add(colarr[yy][xx],self)
	end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #zambafapu-0 | 2021-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #fruitdrop_extreme-0 | 2021-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #noyjejza-0 | 2021-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a no-frills port of the game 2048 that I made while my internet was down. There is a bug where the tile combinations sometimes cascade. I might revisit this and hunt it down but I'm going to post what I finished today because it's more or less playable.

0 comments

Cart #total_collapse_2-1 | 2021-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

thematic companion to total collapse 1

0 comments

Cart #birdandbeans-4 | 2021-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Back Again And Brand New

Enjoy the fast paced and addiction fun of Pyoro! A minigame, featured on WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! and rereleased on the Nintendo DSi as Bird and Beans, has now been remade for you to play for free here on Pico-8. Play as Pyoro, the pint-size parakeet with a penchant for plummeting pintos. Hold Z or X to extend his elastic tongue to catch the beans from midair.

9 comments

Cart #fcv5-0 | 2021-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! This is my second Celeste Classic mod, this one is a little longer. It includes several screens modeled off of counterparts from newleste's Forsaken City.

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->