BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Summary: great hardware, lackluster software.

Intro

Retrododo gave a bit of a rant about the ZPG Pro which I think is a bit unfair because he was talking about the problems with chinese retrohandhelds in general and there are certainly shoddier ones than the ZPG Pro.

Hardware

The case looks very slick, nintendo-ish in quality. The analog stick is great, it is the same as in the Nintendo Switch. Very satisfying and ergonomic to hold with its rounded edges, the plastic feels great to the touch. The glass front of the screen has rounded curves at the edges which looks very premium, like a high-end smartphone. The display is top-notch. Even greater colors and brightness than my funnyplaying IPS mod on the original GBA.

The buttons feel good but not great. The D-Pad has a good size. I hear that the silver metal version has more clicky buttons, but the newer rose gold metal version, the only version yet with built-in wifi, has the same buttons. I'd say they are halfway between mushy and clicky. I wish they had a bit more resistance.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #charonquest-2 | 2020-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You wake up in a place with the knowledge that you are dead.
You have one coin, and a voice in your head that whispers to you to go and find Charon.

__

This mini RPG has 3 outcomes, 3 enemy types, and challenges that will demand dexterity, patience and morals.
Through the different conditions for the seperate endings, you can play this in different ways!

__

Controls:

• arrow keys for movement
  • X to attack

__

Charon is my first game, and my first coding experience. At all.
So I'm really proud of how far I got from zero in ~160h of work.

I'd love some feedback!
And if you've found a bug, or saw code that's just ... dumb. Then please let me know!

otherwise.. Enjoy~

__
latest small bugfix:
-no "minus" coins anymore
-minor dialogue improvements.

11 comments

Cart #deal_or_no_deal-0 | 2020-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's the game "Deal Or No Deal," except with fewer commercial breaks.

The whole game is clicking buttons, so a mouse is required! You probably don't need to be familiar with the show to play, but let me know if it's confusing, and I can try to figure out how to communicate the rules better.

Currently missing some stuff like music/sound and a title screen, but you can go through a full round and it works "pretty much like the show."

2 comments

Lately PICO8 will sometimes randomly crash, sometimes in a running game, sometimes in the editors. Full error in terminal shows up as:

-[MTLRenderPipelineDescriptorInternal validateWithDevice:]:2400: failed assertion `No valid pixelFormats set.'

I am running High Sierra (10.13.6) on a 2013 iMac.

4 comments

A cat maze and puzzle game. Get through 16 levels in as few moves as possible, find your favourite socky and defeat your nemesis.

Cart #pandora-1 | 2022-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Clear the fog as you expand your territory, navigating through gardens, dark dungeons, slippery ice, an ancient city and a mandatory industrial zone. Win medals based on how many moves you have left.

If you get stuck, there are hints in the menu. Version 07 is more forgiving and has a level select.

11 comments

Cart #dohokatito-0 | 2020-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Toboggan is a visual solver tool for Advent of Code 2020 Day 3. It can accept custom inputs that are properly formatted by pasting from that day's input file.

0 comments

Cart #map_zoom-0 | 2020-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Do you want to zoom in our out of your map during the game this may be for you.

Simple cart to show off the zoom function.

Cursor keys to scroll x/z to zoom in and out.

actual function is as follows

--prints the map zoomed
-- zoom is the zoom factor 2 for twice as big
-- 0.5 for half as big
-- mx = the pixel cordiante of the map to start
-- my = the pixel cordiante of the map to start
-- sx = screen offset x
-- sy = screen offset y
function zmap(zoom,mx,my,sx,sy)
 zoom = zoom or 1
 mx= mx or 0
 my= my or 0
 sx= sx or 0
 sy= sy or 0
	for i=0, 127 do
		tline(0,i,127, i, mx, my+i/8/zoom, 1/8/zoom)
	end
end

Please feel free to adapt for your own projects.
A better version of this could use a screen clipping rectangle but I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not

0 comments

A question came up yesterday in the pico-8 discord: are there any nice ways of doing default arguments? For example,

function foo(a,b,c)
  a=a or default_for_a
  b=b or default_for_b
  c=c or default_for_c
  -- do stuff
end

That's five tokens spent per argument; can we do better?

yes

My first thought was doing something like this:

function new_actor(fields)
 return merge(parse"x=64,y=64,w=8,h=8",fields)
end

This is a common pattern I use in my games; merge(A,B) is a custom thing I have that merges tables A and B together by creating a new table, copying all of A's contents into it, and then copying all of B's contents into it. Note that if A and B share any keys, the value from table B will be used for the result, which makes this handy for setting defaults in a table. (and parse is another custom thing that does what you'd expect, turning a string into a table)

However, this wasn't quite what the questioner was asking for; I can set default values for table members with this method, but I can't set local variables. This method wouldn't work to save tokens if you had to say locals.myvar throughout your function instead of just myvar!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #jepekepeyi-0 | 2020-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #zobudrod-1 | 2021-02-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My first game in pico-8 (made by tutorials, thanks to krystman <3). Hope you'll like it!
(idk why but I cant make the title be "crocolike")

6 comments

Stuck

Can you download the PICO-8 fantasy console for free, or does it cost? I forgot the key I was given when making my account.
4/12/2020

0 comments

Cart #santacoalector-0 | 2020-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small, very silly game in Christmas' spirit! You play as Santa and collect coals for naughty children.

0 comments

Cart #olatannenbaum-3 | 2020-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hola! I thought it would be cool try making a Christmas-themed game, so here it is. Ola! Tannenbaum is a quick arcade game where you're going to need good timing, lightning reflexes, and absolutely no sense of colour-coordination to create the most chaotically decorated Christmas tree ever. Start by placing baubles, tinsel and fairy lights and top everything off with a star on top. Will you be a bauble boffin or a yuletide liability?

Ola! Tannenbaum is an accurate simulation of what it is like to decorate a tree after too many glasses of sherry and with your eyes closed.

I tried to make an in-game tutorial that explains everything reasonably well but here's what you need to do in more detail if you're planning on min-maxing this.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #mohizukeri-0 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An little shooting game I made to learn PICO-8 a long while ago!

Defend the cat girl hacker at the center of the board from waves of invading robots!

Pick the melee focused, katana-wielding fox lady and slice them to bits a dash special attack, or the gun-toting, turret-deploying wolf girl to shred them with bullets.

Also features a 2-player mode for more mayhem!

It's playable, but not entirely finished and a little unbalanced.

Buttons:
Arrows - move
X - main attack (sword/gun)
Z - special (dash cut/deploy turret)

Have fun!

3 comments

Cart #jank-0 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! Welcome in a world of pain.
The unofficial harder-than-sub-150(tm) CELESTE Classic mod is here.
This mod was designed as first to be a parody of "add spikes" mods, but I actually put a lot of time and efforts into this to make it actually interesting.
This doesn't require any rem manipulation, spike clip or that kind of crap (you can't see rem and spike clip is lazy), but includes a lot of setups that require extended knowlage of the game and pixel/frame perfect precision.
All the levels were verified by me, they are humanly doable without any spike clip. If you think than it's too easy for some reason, try beating it without spike clip like I did.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

23 comments

Cart #dog_sitting_simulator-0 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #rainbowcrewmate-1 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is a crewmate sprite I made, and i also decided to put a little animation to show all the color variants of it.
enjoy!!! :))

2 comments

Cart #jegermegasej-0 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #coronasim-0 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->