BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

This month a new handheld was released: the Anbernic RG280V. With it's diminuitive form factor and 2.8 inch screen is it the most pico PICO-8 handheld yet?

It's driven by a slightly underpowered 1 Ghz chip, the same as is used in the RG350 or even the GCW Zero from 2013. Not enough for more advanced consoles but for emulating handhelds like Game Boy Color or Neo Geo Pocket it's just right. And with the new Tac08 emulator it can even run PICO-8 games pretty faithfully.

The screen looks great, it has an even greater resolution than the RG350 so scaling issues are almost non-existent. The colors are vibrant. Build quality is top notch. The controls feel very satisfying. Although it's so small compared to a Xbox controller, the actual D-Pad is almost the same size.

The only drawbacks at the moment are some sound issues and compatibility with the PICO-8 library is not at 100 % yet. Still, the emulator is making great progress and it is only a matter of time before these issues will be resolved.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #generator-0 | 2020-11-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Howdy y'all this was a submission to the 1-button game jam.
It's up to you to get the city's power back on in the quick button mashing time attack.

0 comments

As we've been messing around with doing various things in PICO-8, we've realized that there are a fair few operations involving moving blocks of bytes around in base RAM - animating sprites by switching sprites with each other on the spritesheet, storing the current draw state or random number seed during an operation so it can be restored afterwards, etc. and so on - where hardcoding memory addresses for temporary storage could lead to one operation clobbering data for another.

We don't know a lot about computer science, but it feels like the proper way to handle this is either using a peek to grab the data as a variable in Lua RAM and poke()ing it back afterwards or with a call stack somewhere in the user data RAM that functions can push data onto and pull data from. If a call stack actually is a good tool to have for this, it seems like a good function to implement as a library routine.

When we were thinking about it a while ago, we came up with:

-- stack handling in 55 tokens
-- incl. 25 tokens of overflow/

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=84842#p)
1 comment

Cart #lazersnek-0 | 2020-11-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a lil something I made in order to learn PICO-8. It's a clone of the TRON lightcycle game. It's my go-to game to learn new languages and engines. Requires 2 players.

X to start. (fixed spawns & no extra hazards)
O(Z) to start in advanced mode. (random spawns & deadly stars)
X to restart when game is over.

Red: Controller 0
Keyboard: Arrow keys

Blue: Controller 1
Keyboard: ESDF

0 comments

Cart #gemukabudo-9 | 2020-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game on this system. I'm not too familiar with some of the more technical tricks yet, but I'll be working on optimizing the code, improving the music, and adding little quality-of-life improvements where I can.

Directions:

• Controls:
    • Arrow keys to move
    • Z/C to jump
    • X/V to do action
  • Ropes and vines can be climbed using the up/down arrows, and you can flip side of the rope/vine with the left/right arrows
  • When you have multiple actions to choose from, the down arrow can be used to cycle through them

v1.5 Change Log:

• Made death pits more obvious
  • Changed color of hint arrow
  • Fixed hitbox of attack

Cart #gemukabudo-8 | 2020-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Swim under the sea with this hungry cephalopod and meet the other marine dwellers in this straight forward arcade adventure.

Just remember: always go UP.

Cart #squid-0 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hope this gets featured :)

2 comments

This is my entry for the Ubisoft Game Jam 2020. Also available on itch.io/spaceship-you.

A simple simulation game about trying to survive alone on your personal spaceship on your way to your new home. To survive you need to keep your body and mind in good shape so that you can keep the disturbingly manual power generator going (it's basically a human hamster wheel). If your ship runs out of power you will die...

Try to come out on the other side better than you went in!

This idea is 100% ripped off from CGP Grey's great Youtube video about surviving the lockdown.

Objective: Survive to the end of day 30 to win.

Controls:

Mouse: Move cursor
LMB: Select
RMB: Cancel
ENTER+arrows: Options menu (you can disable sound / music)

Cart #spaceshipyou-1 | 2020-11-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #sonefanidu-0 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

13 comments

Cart #orthoblaster-0 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Orthoblaster was made in a day, learning how to use the PICO-8 development environment.

It's a tiny game about orthogonal pattern recognition in randomly generated arenas.
The gameplay kind of feels like a constant dance between danger and safety.

Check out my website for my ludography, game design articles, indie recommendations and more!

0 comments

Cart #mopuyowonu-0 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all,

My third complete cart and most ambitious.
Wouldn't be possible without Pico-8.

Attempt at 2600 Pitfall. Tried to get graphics and timing as close to original as possible. All 255 screens are here with he exact same layout of ladders, pits, alligators, treasures, and so on.

Hope you like.

Jim

9 comments

Cart #mellow_meadow_deluxe-0 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mellow Meadow Deluxe

Story

Welcome to Mellow Meadow, a place of peace and platforming. Travel through Mellow Meadow, Peachy Pasture, Glacial Grotto and Culminal Castle; and be the first to get the 12 golden gems!

Controls

Move:⬅️➡️
Look up:⬆️
Crouch:⬇️
Jump:❎*
Save screenshot: F6
Save GIF to desktop: F9

*Can be switched to 🅾️ in the pause menu.

Gameplay

You are Adam Apple. Run and jump through 4 platforming levels and reach the end while trying to collect all 12 (optional) golden gems along the way.

Key features

•Tight controls to make movement as enjoyable as possible.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #hanukkah_runner-4 | 2020-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A simple Runner game set in ancient Israel, you have 8 nights to get past the obstacles in your way and return with more oil for the menorah. Play along with 7 classic Hanukkah tracks, or listen at your own pleasure. Three levels of difficulty, Easy, Medium, and Hard.

1 comment

Cart #tohabetijo-4 | 2020-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

In macOS (Big Sur but possibly others), there are a few bugs related to the selected system audio output device.

A) PICO-8 uses the audio output device selected by the OS at start-up time, and does not change when a different output device is selected while PICO-8 is running.

Repro:

1. Select an audio output device, such as the laptop speakers.
  2. Open PICO-8.
  3. Test that audio is played from the laptop speakers. (E.g. draw then play a sfx.)
  4. Change the audio output device, such as headphones, using System Preferences or the Audio taskbar menu.
  5. Retry the audio test.

Expected: Audio should be emitted out of the new output device (headphones) and not the original device (laptop speakers).

Actual: Audio continues to be emitted by the original device.

B) If the output device that PICO-8 detects during start-up is no longer available, audio stops working entirely. In the SFX editor, the note playback indicator is also affected, which might hint at a cause.

Repro:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

WiFi hacked/baked into PICOPi.

Seems to be working well, and even with the added network/WiFi support, it's still booting up in ~15s, but your mileage may vary. having access to splore from this little handheld is pretty awesome/amazing if you ask me. i thought pulling the card and adding carts was a drag, but that's just me. now it's completely portable and all you need is WiFi and i've just been using my phone as a hotspot.

thank you @paloblancogames for the excellent write-up on getting everything setup,
which is located here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35926
you would only need to substitute my .zip file during the setup. there's an empty wpa_supplicant.conf, just add in your WiFi info and it'll be pulled in on boot up. :D

if you already have this setup, you should be able to unzip the picopi0-WiFi-v002.zip located here: https://github.com/itsonlym3/rpi-buildroot/tree/picopi/Compiles over your current install.

i did have some code in there that was moving the files downloaded from the BBS so that they could be loaded from the carts folder the next time you boot up, but didn't figure everyone would want this, so i removed it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #close_to_the_edge-0 | 2020-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Close to the edge

Inspired by the worlds of Roger Dean

Thanks for visiting!!! this is a fan game inspired by the worlds and art of Roger Dean. Made in Chile

Social media:

Spotify
Facebook
Instagram
Youtube

Also includes secret 2 player coop mode (2nd player press "jump" (Q) anytime) and Hard mode (press "down" on title screen).

2 comments

Cart #px3_font-0 | 2020-11-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

oh woe is me, my letters are large and my text is readable...
but what if...

introducing the

THREE PX FONT!

that's right! you too could have a handy dandy function for drawing
compact text that fits perfectly on the screen, unlike pico-8's 3*5 font,
which is 32 by 12.33333333...

gross! get that recurring fraction out of here! all i need is 32 chars
by 32 chars!

for the low low cost of however many sprites you are willing to sacrifice,
and however many tokens this thing is, you too can have a pleasant print
the fits (screen wise) anywhere!

just take the following stuff (its customisable, so the character set can be
whittled or widened for whatever you're up to.

free of charge, there is another function (made by yours truly) that
allows you away to use spr() on any sprite scale, but if you don't need it
it can be probably squished into there? i don't know.

anyway, i'm done. its the worlds problem now!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #easingcheatsheet-2 | 2020-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

load #easingcheatsheet

in the Pico-8 command line to load it straight into your Pico-8 application!

Easing functions are ways of modifying the rate of change for a linear interpolation function. You may have used these in animation programs (unity, blender, etc.) by manually editing animation curves. This editing isn't all that possible without a large engine backend, but you can easily create short math equations to imitate some of the commonly used curves. This is what I've done here, implementing a set of functions for these curves, and creating a little demo so you can see how each of them changes your interpolation!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

eu sei o que não sei

0 comments

Cart #mot_flight-3 | 2020-12-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little arcady "flight sim" I started writing.
Buzz past randomly generated islands in a wrap-around ocean.

I will probably add stuff to blow up eventually :)

There is no throttle! Just steer with arrows.

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->