BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #zzzv_excitebike-0 | 2020-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

left/right to move (coarse movement like an old LCD game)

Just a simple thing I've been working on the last two days. All my projects get so ambitious and so muddled and so lost, so it was time to make something short. I'll be back with updates to extend the music, I got really into making the instruments work together and they deserve to be applied more!

patreon.com/zzzv

3 comments

Cart #mazedog-0 | 2020-09-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

by https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=44468#p

6 comments

Cart #locked-0 | 2020-09-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple implementation of a 2 player abstract strategy game.
The idea behind it was: a strategy game where you don't capture pieces.

The instructions and rules are in the cart (and hopefully aren't too confusing) but the general idea is to stop your opponent from being able to take a turn. This is done by locking all their pieces either outside the board or using your pieces. You can strike locked pieces to move them or free them.

Two players are needed (or you can play against yourself), I wanted to write a cpu player but realised that I don't really know what the strategy for this game is yet, so perhaps that is for the future. You can switch on the second controller from the pause menu or just both use the same controls.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I'm surprised I haven't noticed this before.

I'm not sure if this is a regression in 0.2.1b or if it got outright broken, but @zep, I swear you fixed it in the past. But in 0.2.1b pack() is always setting the table.n value to 0:

3 comments

A simple thank you card!

Made in under an hour, so it's a bit rough, but it works...

Cart #thanks2020-1 | 2020-09-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

A falling block/puzzle type thing that I've been making. Can anyone spot the influences?

(edit, added magic forks :)

Cart #fruitrsi-5 | 2020-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

5 comments

Cart #bunrun12-0 | 2020-09-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This cart is still in progress. I just wanted to upload it to show a few people.
So at the moment, tapping Z will increase your run speed ever so slightly, but it returns to normal after a moment.
Later, running faster will be easier for wolves to hear, and attract their attention to you.
X is used to show the path finding grid, but path finding isn't fully implemented yet, though the methodology is commented out in the wolf state system tab in the "RESUME" state. The grid is generated each time you enter a new room, and the wolves will really only use it to investigate sounds, or to find their way back to their regular patrol paths.

Today, I got the bunny to hop, I removed moving backwards (as the down button will be reserved for throwing rocks), and I modified some of the sprites, and commented out the RESUME state.

5 comments

---------- Pico 8 on other devices????----------------
Does Anyone think that Pico 8 could be on ios or android or probably some gaming consoles?
This is kinda stupid -_-

8 comments

Cart #qpong-0 | 2020-09-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Today is Game Boy's 30th anniversary in Europe. To celebrate, I ported the first ever game I made, QPong to PICO-8 on GameShell which looks very similar to a Game Boy. This is the closest to making a GB game without doing it the hard way using C or Assembly!

QPong is a quantum version of the classic Pong. In this game, you need to construct a quantum circuit to control the paddle position. Spooky quantum phenomena like superposition and wave function collapse show up in the game if you place H gates on the circuit.

Controls

• W, A, S, D: move cursor

• Z: Place/remove Hadamard gate

• X: Place/remove X gate

Links

Please read my blog post for details about the game and everything about quantum computers!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Hi all!
I'm Elia and this is my first post here.
I'm enjoying a lot PICO-8 but I've stumbled across a mystery.

To get to the point, I was reading the pico8zine#2 as a tutorial, and the first chapter makes u do a game of life program.
The example was not using the _update and _draw function, so I changed a bit my code to use it, and at first I thought something wasn't working with the code, and later discovered I was running at 15fps!

It was a bit weird since I was basically doing just the things the tutorial said, I then tried to switch to not using _draw but drawing with flip and a while(true) as the tutorial, and now all works fine!

I don't know if this is intended, but I used stat(1) to look at the cpu usage, and I had more than 17 with the tutorial version, when I though more than 1 lead you to 15 fps.

This is my version with the _draw and _update functions:

Cart #huhegojuze-0 | 2020-09-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #helipilot-0 | 2020-09-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #zigesewabe-0 | 2020-09-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #nanodungeon-1 | 2020-09-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple dungeon game. I made this in a few days of my free time as my first dive into PICO-8. Run into skeletons to kill them, which costs 1 HP. Silver keys to open chests, gold to open the door to the next area. Try to collect all 26 treasures!

v1.1 - Fixes the bug with the door forward. Whoops!

12 comments

Hey everyone!
I have an idea that could benefit a lot of newbies such as myself. The basic premise is to post a growing list of tiny ideas that range in complexity from simple to hard concepts. The reason I thing this is a great idea is for two main reasons. The first is that staring down a whole project while exciting and fun can be intimidating. The second reason is that when I was learning Python I found lists like these that taught me how to program. I always found this extremely useful and I think others will as well. It also teaches thinking like a game developer by breaking things down.

So my suggestions for making tiny ideas:

• Make statements randomly print (Beginner)
  • Draw a unique sprite and move it around (Beginner)
  • Create an effect in a function (Beginner)
  • Animate one object on repeat (Intermediate)

Looking forward to hearing other tiny ideas!

2 comments

Cart #jump_flood-1 | 2020-09-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this for practice, to try out the Jump-Flood Algorithm, but it turned into a little interactive click-through thing, so here it is. It might be a little hard to understand at first, but if you're interested in parallel processing, it's an extremely powerful tool.

Jump-Flood is useful for "parallel-fill" operations. For detailed information, this wonderful article by Ben Golus explains why and how you might want to use the Jump-Flood Algorithm for a realtime "perfect thick outline" post-processing shader, by live-generating a 2D distance field from a rasterized silhouette.

In this simpler example, the input is a 1-dimensional sequence of increasing numbers, with an unpredictable number of trailing zeroes after each unique value. The goal is to "fill-forward" each unique value, so it gets copied over all of its immediately-trailing zeroes. This is easy to do in a serial process, "CPU-style" (just one big for-loop through the whole list, remembering the most recent nonzero value and overwriting any zeroes with it) - but it's much more complicated if you want to solve this same problem with a parallel routine - for example, in a GPU program, for a big list! The naive parallel approaches are very wasteful, and they scale very poorly by comparison.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #aventuras-13 | 2020-09-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

found a bug in 0.2.1b (also current bbs version) while using tline() to shear rectangles

see the cart

observe that there's only 2 configurations that get chopped incorrectly (one where the startpoint is below the screen and one where the endpoint is above the screen) (although others also have ugly artifacts)

Cart #dimumayuyi-0 | 2020-09-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

5 comments

Cart #spritesheetgiftest-0 | 2020-09-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I was looking into methods for extending the spritesheet memory of a cartridge, but the only result I could find on google (after an admittedly short search) was a post that was slightly inefficient when it loaded the spritesheet into memory, making it only suitable for use in fullscreen graphics like a title screen. This was noted in the post, but I thought that I could make some improvements.

Limitations

This code is very small when inserted into the cart, other than the actual spritesheet data. The current data is stored in a completely uncompressed binary string, which in the worst case can balloon up to 16-20k characters.
(NOTE: This is only when storing a completely black spritesheet, which should ideally be never. If your spritesheet has large portions of completely black (color 0) space, try replacing it with some other color you're not using, or using palette swapping.) The average spritesheet should be able to be stored in 8-10k characters.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->