BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

PICO-RAY

Brought to you by the same productivity-focused team as Hypercolor Paint, PICO-RAY offers state of the art 3D modeling and rendering capabilities for the Pico-8 computer system.

Cart #pico_ray_v1_0-0 | 2020-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Features:

--Ray marched, photo-realistic 3D graphics
--Soft shadows, ambient occlusion, reflection, refraction
--Materials properties, including: color, gloss, reflection, refraction, patterns
--Primitives including: box, sphere, torus, cone, plane, sponge, and landscape
--Realtime wireframe box previews
--Quick render modes for preview
--2x2 anti-aliased high-quality mode

Instructions:

PICO-RAY requires the pico-mouse to operate. Click on menus and increment widgets to create and edit geometric primitives.

Menus:

-REND- Control rendering options
1x1:No skipped pixels
2x2:Render 2x2 blocks
4x4:Render 4x4 blocks (faster)
QUICK: Render in fast grayscale with no shadows/materials (only 2X2 and 4X4)
NORMAL: Render with shadows, materials
HIGH: Render with anti-aliasing on (slowest)
OUTLINE: Show bounding boxes for all objects (selected object highlighted in blue)
HIDE MENUS: Hide menus for saving screenshots (click to turn menus on

-PARAM- Create new objects and change the dimensional properties and shape of objects.
[OBJECT TYPE] Type of the selected object primitive. Click left/right to change type.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Credit @JadeLombax for level compression.

Credit @Sascha217 for some sprites.

Credit @Czarlo for Koopa sprites and Level 2

Credit @Gabe_8_bit for the other aspects.

Newest versions (Beta Version/Demo):

Cart #smr_beta-0 | 2021-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The first demo of the game is below.
Cart #jasufabuhu-0 | 2020-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Some art I came up with:

Possible features:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

As per title. I don't have enough space in my sprite sheet to recreate the fonts, which I could just scale using something like sspr. Any other way to do it?

2 comments

Cart #flyingpig-1 | 2020-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Your mom is sick. You must save her!

1 comment

This is a simple brute force raytracer based on the excellent book "Ray Tracing in One Weekend" It will take approximately 2 hours to render the image in the preview! The slowness is mostly caused by there being no form of object hierarchy so every single sphere is being test for every single ray generated. There's a lot of sphere's so that's a lot of calculations.

The ray tracer produced by following Ray Tracing in One Weekend is really simple and straightfoward, as a result I think this is a great cart to look at if you want to get a handle on Ray Tracing. You probably don't want to run the cart as is but nick the code and play around with a scene yourself.

Cart #yizokigaga-0 | 2020-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

If you look at the end of the code it should be pretty clear how the scene is described (simply adding sphere's to the things table). There is also the "fast" option. If you set that to TRUE then the pico8 will switch to 64x64 mode and only do 1 sample per pixel. It's a great way of making sure you have setup a scene correctly before doing a longer render.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

I ordered Voxatron here, and got a receipt from Humble Bundle, but I did not receive a download link for it. I also tried putting in the order ID into the add products to accounts page but I had no success. Any reasons?

1 comment

Cart #woruyudutu-0 | 2020-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I think I've found a bug with how music and sfx channels are used; I've attached a cartridge that shows off the issue. Basically, if you call sfx() and then call music() afterward, the music won't be heard until the sfx() finishes, even though there are 3 available unused sound channels for the music to play on.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work? it seems like the music() command should figure out that it has 3 free channel slots to play in... I do see the channelmask parameter (https://pico-8.fandom.com/wiki/Music) but calling music(4,0,0b1111) instead of music(4) doesn't fix the issue. Even if it did, sometimes you want to start playing music after sound is already playing, so how are you supposed to set up in advance which channels the music has priority to play on?

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

16 Greens

A bog standard minigolf game with 4-player pass-and-play multiplayer

Cart #sixteengreens-0 | 2020-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I heard about PICO-8 literally years ago and completely forgot about it until last weekend. Downloaded it and spent the week having a great time getting to grips with it. 16 Greens is the first 'proper' game I've made so far.

Source

Lessons Learned

• I tried to lean into the 'PICO-8 way' as much as possible; usually I'd make maps in Tiled and import them into whatever game I'm making, but since PICO-8 has a specific cart block for map data, I figured it was best to use that instead (I still used Tiled, I just wrote a python script to convert tmx files into PICO-8 map data). For this game, since I wanted each hole to be a full screen, this limited me to 16 holes, but I figured this would help me preserve precious tokens and characters. In hindsight, I actually seriously underestimated just how many tokens and characters PICO-8 affords you; I ended up under 50% of the token limit and didn't even use 20% of the character limit (after minifying). I'll try storing map data in code in future (especially since string encoding doesn't eat up many tokens).

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

have you ever wanted to do z ordering, but without careful programming practices?

well i have the product for you!

introducing: the queue() and drawq() functions!

usage:

queue(--[[any function (spr, rect, pal, anything)]],{--[[array of parameters]]},--[[order index]])
use this to put things in the queue.

drawq()
no parameters here! it just bubble sorts --[[oh god]] the functions and calls them in that order,
meaning that --[[for example]], spr calls with the y pos passed as an index, will be stacked like real things, and no more characters standing on each others heads!

q={}
run this to clear the queue. this is the var which i used for queues. this is not perfect, but improvements are left as an exercise for the reader. --please post them, as i know i could do better.

anyway, the script:

function queue(f,p,o)
 add(q,{f,p,o})
end

function drawq() --improvements by @packrat!
 repeat
  local swp=true
  for l=1,#q-1 do
   if q

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=81298#p)
8 comments

Cart #dangerous_alone-0 | 2020-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the finished version of the original game made for the Extra Credits game jam #6 "Take Care."

jam edition: https://dmandy.itch.io/dangerous-alone

0 comments

Cart #obstacourse-2 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

LEFT OR RIGHT TO MOVE
Z OR X TO JUMP

OBSTACOURSE is a minimalist platforming micro-game. Guide DUNGAREE DOG through the OBSTACOURSE, a four-level, colour-coded athletic gauntlet. Expect spikes, spring-blocks, some crumbs of environmental story-telling and lots and lots of jumping.

This is the first game I've made in Pico-8 and I've had a real fun time! Want to thank everyone on the forum who helped me out. Let me know what you think of it!

Game by James Nash
Music by Alice Boyd

3 comments

Cart #guntherobrian-0 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Blaseball is the greatest sport in the multiverse, and Gunther O'Brian is the greatest player in Blaseball.

He's not good AT blaseball, mind you. He's really terrible at it. He doesn't know what it is. He's just a penguin. But he's the best penguin, and he's doing great, and whatever happens, IT'S OK.

But you can help Gunther try to be a good pitcher for the Charleston Shoe Thieves, with Gunther O'Brian's Pitching Simulator. Do your best to hit the arrow keys in the right order as fast as possible so Gunther can get a good windup and throw the ball in possibly the correct direction.

You're doing great, Gunther!

--

If you'd like to sing along with the music, it's a tune called

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

Cart #iii-2 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

iii Demake

iii is a little "catroidvania" about a one-eyed cat leaving his comfort zone. Explore underground caverns, gain vision of other dimensions, help the inhabitants, and expand your horizons.

How To Play

Left/Right - Move
Z/C/🅾️ - Jump
Up - Interact
Down - Swap Dimensions

Credits

Design, programming, art & audio by @CarsonK
Music by Kevin MacLeod - http://incompetech.com

Originally made for Ludum Dare 38 (Jam) by Yukon W. De-make by Carson K.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

16 comments

Cart #juelanddungeon-0 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #picodraw-1 | 2021-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mouse and Keyboard are required!

New release of PicoDraw, the tool I created to draw all backgrounds in my Masters of the Universe cart and the huge scrolling objects in R-Type, in a special compressed format.

What's new:

• sprite tools
  • clone groups
  • H/V mirroring of subshapes
  • revamped UI

It uses a mixture of primitives/sprites/tile-maps. Maybe someone else will find it useful too or just contribute to further development.

I will update this post with some tutorials as soon as possible, here's a demo cart showing how to use the created data in a game. check the code and the included sprites.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Cart #vampdice-0 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I will, on occasion, play a game or two of Vampire the Masquerade (5th Edition).

I will, on occasion, rely on borrowing dice.

Here's an alternative for kindred of less discerning tastes.

1 comment

When I press shift+9 in the music editor (but not the sound editor) on any pattern EXCEPT for pattern 0, pico8 crashes.

My OS is windows 7, and my pico8 version is 29, as shown by print(stat(5))

edit: this bug still exists in pico8 0.2.4

4 comments

I wish I knew exactly how to reproduce this; it doesn't happen all the time. But decently often (~4 times in the last ~40 hours of runtime? idk just a ballpark guess) when I open a new tab in the code editor and press ctrl+v to paste in code, pico8.exe immediately exits.

The last 3 or 4 times this has happened, I've relaunched pico8.exe and tried to do exactly the same keypresses etc (ctrl+a to copy all text from one tab, ctrl+t out of muscle memory to create a new tab (does not work in pico8), mouse click to create a new tab for real, ctrl+v to paste code), and it works the second time without crashing. Maybe it only happens when the console has been on for long enough? (>4 hours, generally). Maybe I'm not reproducing my steps exactly? idk

My pico8 version is 29, as shown by print(stat(5))

My OS is windows 7

(Is there some sort of crash logs folder or anything like that that I should attach to this post?)

4 comments

Cart #cel-0 | 2020-08-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->