BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #mus_gh_lpotm-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello. I got Pico-8 back several years ago when it was pretty trend and i enjoyed the vast amount of content the community created. I got it back when i was on the first stages of programming in GameMaker: Studio (until however i stopped after not being able to easily think deeper on what to do.) I am also an addictive video game music fan whom actually has been continously listening to them for a bunch of years before GameMaker.
However, since i can't get the hang on the programming side of Pico-8 i messed around on the sound interface. I had tracker music experience back when i used FamiTracker, so it was easy for me to interact with the tracker interface, however, the Pico-8 tracker was something, it was so limited i can't easily make dope instrumentation with it. All i did was just a bunch of incomplete covers that sounded quite lame to me, but it was a likeable experience.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #web-1 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My second ever cart. A result of me messing around with rotating objects.
Cart #web2-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A version that's collapsing in on itself.
Cart #blackhole-0 | 2020-08-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Is multiple assignment possible within a table, e.g.

e={
 x,y,health,timer=0,0,0,0,
 score_val=100,
 colour=7
}

When I do that, for some reason the timer value is returning nil.

Or, is there a limit to the number of multiple assignments? I am currently setting 16 variables to zero.

4 comments

Cart #sinisterworm-0 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I'm super new to PICO-8 and coding in general, but I accidentally created a very sinister looking worm, so here you go.

EDIT: I made a snake version.

Cart #sinistersnake-0 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #munro_tweetcarts-5 | 2020-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

All my tweetcarts in one cart, accessible from a unified menu. Will update as I create more.

Menu Controls:

• Up and down to navigate menu
  • X/Z to hide the menu
  • To show the menu do any of the following:
    • Press Tab
    • Enter and select Reset Cart
    • Ctrl-R for quick reset.

What is a Tweetcart?

Tweetcarts are Pico-8 programs written in 280 chars or less (the size of a tweet!).

For example, Eclipse is just this code snippet:

circfill(63,63,10,0)pal({129,1,130,2,136,8},1)::_::circ(63,63,10,7)x,y=rnd(128),rnd(128)a=atan2(x-63,y-63)c=pget(x,y)if c!=0then
c=rnd()>.9and c-1or c
pset(x+cos(a),y+sin(a),c)end
goto _

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #dungeon_witches_minimal-0 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi, I'm doc1oo. I have just uploaded the cartridge for the first time! :)

Two weeks ago, I completed my Rogue Lite game "Dungeon Witches" and started distributing it on itch.io.
I've always wanted to post a cartridge to the Cartverse, but it was far beyond the capacity of one cartridge on the pico-8, so I couldn't just upload it.

So, today I made the super minimum version from completed version!
The story demos, all of texts, helpful features and tutorials, and directing are all left out, but data of graphics, sounds, maps, and core of the game is same. Perhaps you will get the experience of confusion that like a naked second-hand NES game without manual.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Current Development

I'm building a relationship between NPCs and area map connections.
These are mainly for the latter 8 areas.
(The "keys" that NPCs have might be easier to understand.)

This game has a combined total of 16 areas.
There are also useful items that will help you move through such a large world.
These items can be found at the end of the first half of the game.

Then, the image below shows the map of the first half of the game.

Reduced map for 8 areas

Most of the maps are over 128*128 cell size.
The aspect ratio varies from area to area and the structure is challenging to explore.
Once you get your "KUWAI", use it! You can look around the entire area.

Actual map display

An animated tile is provided in each area.
These tiles bring about the effect of the wind.
You can use "PERSNIP" to change the wind (flow).

Awaking bells

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #bobumayuto-1 | 2020-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[SHOCKING] Local Man Uses Obscure Meme To Test Raycaster

3 comments

Cart #picogolf-2 | 2020-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

• stat tracking
  • speedrun mode

picogolf (currently) contains a single 9 hole course featuring a range of par 3, 4 and 5 holes. There are no settings, nothing gets saved, if you wanna play again, just reload the page.

It actually started out as a simple breakout clone... I'm not really sure what happened but here we are, I've had a great time working on it and I'm quite pleased with myself for actually finishing something for once.

Cheers
-Chris

Controls

while aiming...

left and right to aim
hold up to zoom out
press down to cycle through clubs
press X to cycle view modes between close up aim, distant aim, whole course and pin

[ Continue Reading.. ]

13 comments

So, I was in love with PICO-8 while making a game, but then I ran out of tokens. So, I tried a few techniques to optimize my code but it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to fit everything I had planned. So, I just posted the game with some significant content removed.

Some people have reported bugs here and there, but when I go to fix them I end up running out of tokens just to do my debugging (i.e.adding extra keyboard input for testing purposes).

I get, and enjoyed, the idea of having strict limitations, but hitting the token limit just ruined the experience for me. Even if I could just go outside of its limitations just for the testing process, that would be great. I know it's part of the charm of PICO-8, but the token limit (at least) has kinda killed the fun for me.

Does anyone else know of any tricks for this? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Thanks.

5 comments

Pico-8 occasionally seems to forget to select a new line if you've copied something and then create a new tab. Because there is no line selected, pasting seems to crash it

Most of the time a new line is selected after creating and switching to a tab, but occasionally it doesn't. I was able to reproduce although unsure if there's another step (may have to do with switch tabs or alt tabbing).

2 comments

Hello, guys! I ran in some problems with making an update for PicoTale. Because of that, I'm starting another project - A day of a Russian! It will be containing some jokes about Russia. I'm asking you guys, not to take them serious. If you have any Ideas, please give me Feedback!
Thanks!

1 comment

So I have no idea how to do this but basically I want to find a way where when my player character hits a flag for the game to pause on that frame, and then fade out to a black screen. Does anyone know how to do this?

9 comments

Cart #cubg_dungeon-5 | 2020-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

An endless dungeon crawler made for LOWREZJAM 2020.

Also available on itch.io

Find the exit to move to the next floor. The dungeons will get larger as you complete floors. Walk into an enemy to attack it. They can also attack you if you go into the space they are moving into. Pots can be broken by walking into them. They can have gold, sneks, bombs, spike traps, or a life up in them.

After each floor a shop will open where you can buy items:

• Life Ups will heal you.
  • Damage Ups make your attacks stronger.
  • Escape Ropes return you to the entrance of the floor you are on if you die. You can only carry one at a time.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

Cart #horde-1 | 2022-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HORDE

a survival deckbuilding game

This game was made for the 8-Bits to Infinity "turn based" game jam and is my first completed pico8 game.

The world as you know has changed. The zombie apocalypse has begun. Will you survive?

This is a solo deck building game. The cards you are dealt won't get you very far. Use the survivors to scavenge for weapons, items, and find other survivors in hopes of fending off the impending zombie horde. You have 20 turns to accumulate as much firepower and support as you can.

Play Action cards to gain an advantage, Survivor cards to scavenge better cards, and Weapon cards to attack the zombie horde.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

10 comments

Cart #virus_attack-2 | 2020-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for LowRezJam 2020

1 comment

Cart #cliffside-0 | 2020-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A level mod for Celeste.
Contains 30 new levels and more!

19 comments

Let me explain.

I'm a new to PICO-8 (this is my first post actually) but not programming. I'm looking to develop games on PICO-8 to improve my programming skills. That being said, I'm following a tutorial to make a small breakout clone, and I've decided to give it my own flair in several ways, one of which is giving the ball a smooth animation when it bounces off of a wall or the paddle. It works swimmingly when bouncing off of a wall, and I was able to make it animate when bouncing off of a paddle by forgoing the tutorial and adding my own rudimentory collision detection. The collision detection isn't the greatest, but it works and I've gotten the ball to animate when bouncing off of the paddle in the past. Today, I decided to finish up the animation by making it only play when the ball is within a certain range of the paddle. As soon as I added this functionality, the animation stopped playing, as shown in the gif below (the animation of the ball bouncing is slowed down since it's an admittedly very small detail in normal game play)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Let's say I have an 8x8 sprite, like the one in my avatar. I want to manipulate that sprite as follows:

1. Randomly position each non black sprite pixel outside the viewport.
  2. Move those pixels into the viewport to form the sprite.

I know how to do this with a whole sprite, but how might I achieve this effect with the individual sprite pixels? Obviously I'll need the following:

1. Destination position of sprite within the viewport.
  2. The index position within the 8x8 grid of each pixel, offset from sprite destination position - e.g. x,y of sprite, then index of pixel within the sprite 8x8 grid.

Anyone have any ideas? I want this as a neat effect for spawning enemies at the start of each stage in a new game I an working on.

20 comments

Cart #jdrtimer01-0 | 2020-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->