BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #bururhopi-0 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a simple typewriter style text box, like we see in many RPGs and Adventure games.

I was looking for examples of text boxes like these and only found complex and robust examples. They are excellent! But I thought it would be useful to have a simpler more "noob friendly" system.

The code is very commented, so anyone should be able to follow along and understand what it is doing. Also, this system is very simple but versatile. It can easily be expanded or customized if you know what you are doing.

6 comments

After updating to 0.2.1, exports of my cart are failing to load. I've deleted just about everything from it to make a minimal reproduction here, but I have no idea what is going on.

For both HTML and bin exports, the pico-8 splash appears, and it hangs after "booting cartridge"

In the included cart, both the comment at the bottom and the init method are required. Deleting the init method, or any more from the comment will allow the cart to load. O_o

Cart #bizehapowe-0 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Hi All! PICO-8 0.2.1b is now up on lexaloffle, Humble, itch.io, and for PocketCHIP. This update started as a continuation of 0.2.0 bug-fixing work, but I also relaxed my position on API minimalism just enough to add some new features :D

UPDATE: 0.2.1b is now live and fixes the print() bug, and a few other things. See the changelog below for details.

Ovals

You can draw ovals (technically, ellipses) both when running a cartridge, and when using the shape tools in the graphics/map editors. Ovals are specified by their boundary rectangle, and follow the usual draw state rules.

pattern={[0]=
…,∧,â–‘,⧗,â–¤,✽,★,✽,
ˇ,░,▤,♪,░,✽,★,☉,
â–‘,â–¤,♪,â–‘,✽,★,☉,…,
∧,â–‘,⧗,â–¤,✽,★,✽,★
}

function _draw()
 cls(1)
 for i=0,31/32,1/32 do
  local x=64+cos(i+t()/8)*48
  local y=64+sin(i+t()/8)*44
  local w=8+cos(i*2+t()/2)*6
  local h=8+sin(i*3+t()/2)*6

fillp(pattern[i*32])
  ovalfill(x-w,y-h,x+w,y+h,
   (i*32)%8+8)

end
 print("pico-8 0.2.1",40,62,13)
end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

26 comments

In the web player here on the BBS which currently says it's version 0.2.1, it appears print() now displays numbers as hex:

EDIT: oh wow I didn't realize v0.2.1 was out for real and not just in the BBS web version; I downloaded it and tried running the same cart (#xmasfish) and figured out how to reproduce it so I have corrected the title and description since my first report wrongly said the issue was with tostr()

as you can see here, it only displays as hex when x,y arguments are given to print():

2 comments

Cart #zombie_rush-1 | 2020-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game I made with my 6 year old son in a few hours. He came up with game world, mechanics, and contributed art. I did the coding and music.

The goal is simple: wielding only your trusty sword, survive the zombie horde!

Use Z and X to jump/attack. Press Enter and reset cart to start over.

2 comments

see below for changes

I got my hands finally on Pico-8 a few weeks back and after doing a couple of examples, I set about making my own game to help learn some more about coding in Pico-8. So here it is, my firs very shoddy attempt a a game in Pico-8.

It is a rather simplistic game, you just have to survive as long as you can. The code in there could be much better but it was all a learning curve and I am more impressed that I got all of this built within a week and a half of just coding away at night time after finishing work.

Instructions on the opening screen allow you only at that point to change the controls of the tank.

Cart #retaliation-1 | 2020-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V1.1 (04-07-20) Took advice and made changes to how SFX and music are played, also added a few extra effects once your score goes above 70 and also made a change to the difficulty to make it slightly easier later on.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hi everyone,

I made a couple of videos on making Pong in Pico 8 if anyone's interested.

As I mention in the video I don't consider this to be a tutorial really, since I'm new to Pico 8 and programming as a whole but it'd be great to get some feedback!

0 comments

Got a https://www.sparkfun.com/products/16301 phat for raspberry pi.
Running pico8 on it is fine.

I want to use some custom gameinputs (joystick and button a,b on the phat) using uinput from linux.
Using a controller.c for reading i2c packages and generating uinput events KEY_C,X,LEFT,RIGHT,UP,DOWN.

<b>Got a problem with KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT:

• problem is that in the linux command line KEY_LEFT works fine.
  • If i start pico8 (console or splore) the KEY_LEFT doesn't work.
    </b>

Any ideas?

1 comment

Cart #tinier_mondrian-0 | 2020-07-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Press Z to generate a brand new modern art masterpiece. Generated works are indistinguishable from an original Mondrian!

Been working on binary space partitioning for PCG and this was the simplest thing to get working. Feeling cute, might tweetify later.

UPDATE: Totally tweetified down to 263 chars by the insane brain of Midnight Dysktra.

0 comments

Hi! The title says it all!

I've recently been looking to get into Pico8. There's so much tutorials out there and so much to consider. I have no idea where to start! My second worry is that I have no coding experience at all. With all that being said, it's why I felt like asking out from the community itself!

So, where is the best place to get started using pico8 for the first time and what should I consider going in?

Thanks!

4 comments

Cart #hungrybird-0 | 2020-07-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first game for PICO-8 and one of my first playable games ever, developed using code from JALECKO's Flappy.

This is a reverse Flappy Bird where you have to eat to keep flying. Thanks to Megan Williams for the concept and advice.

Features:

• Two whole birds!
  • Realistic biomechanics (well, sort of)
  • Moving prey
  • Original art
  • Original arrangements of music by Rammstein, Trey Williams, and Judas Priest
4 comments

Hello all!

I have been trying to make a minesweeper clone in order to practice grid based games. Everything was going well, until I tried to make the mechanic where adjacent 0 tiles are revealed. I made a recursive function, but when set to all eight directions, it would run out of memory almost instantly. Any tips on how to either optimize the function or replace it? Any help would be awesome, I'm not the best programmer, thanks!

Recursive function:

function tile_reveal(x,y)
	if y > 0
	and y <= #board.board
	and x > 0
	and x <= #board.board[1] then
		if board.overlay[y][x] == 11 then
			if board.board[y][x] != 9 then
				for d=1,#dirs do
					if y+dirs[d][2] > 0
					and y+dirs[d][2] <= #board.board
					and x+dirs[d][1] > 0
					and x+dirs[d][1] <= #board.board[1]
					and board.overlay[y+dirs[d][2]][x+dirs[d][1]] == 11 then
						board:change_overlay(x+dirs

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=78805#p)
5 comments

A little cover I made two months ago and forgot to post on the BBS. Enjoy!

Cart #mariocise-0 | 2020-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

There's four different visual modes picked at random on reset, I tried to sync two of them to the music.
Mario's colors based on the SMB port by @mhughson

0 comments

Cart #apa64_scroller2-0 | 2020-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello world!

How can I make my code more like a library or a self-contained independent module/component? Here's a text scroller by me (my first published cart yay!). Currently you need to call three functions to use it:

function _init()
    scroller = init_scroller("lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur... ", 30, 5/30)
end

function _update()
    update_scroller()
end

function _draw()
    cls(0)
    draw_scroller(4, 60, 7)
end

I tried to write it more like an component but couldn't make it work. My idea was that init_scroller() would return "an object" which would contain everything. Then you'd call object.update() and object.draw() to use it and could create as many instances as needed. However my return object had just pointer to global functions and later instances overwrote earlier ones.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #parumahpipoop-0 | 2020-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You are Kung Poo Fighter, who is trying to avoid being hit by the flying and bouncing bog rolls.

You simply have to avoid being hit by the toilet rolls, amassing the highest score you can by surviving as long as you can from being struck by a turd threatening roll of tissue.

This is yet another a simple casual high-score chase game that gets progressively harder the longer you play it.

The original game was created by myself for the Commodore 64 as an entry for the
RESET C64 4KB Craptastic Compo 2020.

This is a competition for creating a 'crap' game in 4 kilobytes or less (compressed file size).

Code and graphics in this PICO-8 version by yours truly, Roysterini of MEGASTYLE.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #fehugubisi-0 | 2020-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I'm trying to make a checkers game as a first game, and have the function loc_type(loc) which should return 1 if the location has a black piece and a 2 if the location has a white piece, and zero if it's empty.

This works perfectly well for setting up the board but I'm now trying to code selecting a piece. But when I call loc_type, it seems to think that pos = {5,7} (Which is the last white piece I spawn).

I'm really unsure how to fix this. Any thoughts?

Code for reference

--game logic

function _init()
	-- enable mouse
	poke(0x5f2d, 1)
	curr_peice = nil
	val = {-1,-1}
	-- starting places for peices (might want to automate this?)
	blacks = {{0,0},{0,2},{0,4},{0,6},{1,1},{1,3},{1,5},{1,7},{2,0},{2,2},{2,4},{2,6}}

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=78789#p)
1 comment

Cart #simple_animation_engine-0 | 2020-07-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This simple animation engine is an attempt at creating a universal animation engine that I could use to handle all the animations in my game.

After searching online, I realised every animation tutorial or example code was either too simplistic to handle more complex animation states like player movement, or too complex and I couldn't understand the code.

This simple animation engine is robust enough to handle more complicated animation, such as player movement, and simple enough that it's not overkill to use on stationary objects. And if it's not quite what you need, I hope my code is simple enough to understand that you can make whatever modifications you need.

By no means is this the be all and end all of animation engines, but for those who are new to pico-8 development or people looking to improve their current engine, I hope this helps.

0 comments

New endless action-puzzler game. It's more chaotic than a tetris clone but I think it's fun.
Difficulty is still being tweaked, no game over screen yet.

Controls and game:

</\>: rotate center bubbles counter/clockwise
Z/X: slowmo, or "focus" mode. Also shows an aim assist, and gradually deducts from your score.
down: speeder. Bubbles fall faster, but difficulty rises at same pace, making it technically efficient.

To clear bubbles, make a donut out of 6 of them, or a circle out of 7.

Bubbles that get disconnected from the center structure will fall off, which I totally didn't steal from puzzle bobble!
Also, the "bubble" in the center of the screen can't be cleared.

Cart #zirepepami-2 | 2020-07-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #axnjaxn_packmap-0 | 2020-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This snippet was requested on the Discord, and shows how to pack a 16x16 byte map into the cartdata. I've used the title screen of Astro Clerk just to have something non-repetitive to use to show that the behavior is correct.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->