BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #ninjarun158-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

Cart #glider-3 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How far can you get? Press up to give your glider a wind boost but be careful because it will run out!

Made in Limerick, Ireland.

Inspired by a game named Glider that I think was the first game that I ever played, on the old Macintosh Plus.

Let me know how you get on! jamespoolegamescool.com

6 comments

As an excercise to better understand the music tool I made a "cover" of the song "Surviving" by Namnambulu. I say "cover" with quotation marks because I suppose it's more... uuuh... "inspired by" =)

[sfx]

Edit: The sound quality in the web player in Chrome is really bad for me. Either try another browser, or click that little "sfx" link under the player to copy the song into pico8 itself.

0 comments

Forgive me, I'm new here.

Cart #rinodirodi-0 | 2020-05-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1 comment

Cart #gulliver-1 | 2020-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Definitely a work in progress. Took a break after days of trying to figure out basic functions, so there's currently no way to progress through the game. Eventually Gulliver will need to eat enough trash to be heavy enough to drop through a hole at the end of each level so he can move to the next.

3 comments

Cart #pico_skate_iv-0 | 2020-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello everybody,

after years of playing all your amazing Carts, and failing to build something more complex i proudly present you:

"pico Skate IV"

I built this in my free time over the course of two weeks, to get my self away from 3D art and back into programming. I had a lot of fun animating the board sprites by hand and having such huge sprites and tile sets. This also required me to use all of the available sprite and map space with only small unused spaces.

What to expect

In this quick retro game you can control your skateboard along four different levels, each with it's own look and play style. Tricks can be done by jumping on rails or pressing the arrow keys in the air. When you mastered these try to combine you tricks in to a combo by pressing the down button to manual.

6 comments

On Firefox and Safari, the PICO-8 screen can go beyond the bottom boundary of the div that encloses it. When this happens, the bottom part of the PICO-8 screen can be masked/covered by elements below the player. On Chrome it always renders okay.

This screenshot shows what goes wrong:

This is the HTML template as exported by PICO-8 (0.2.0e). I only changed it to add some text below the player, and changed the background color of the "p8_frame_0" div to red.

The page is accessible here for anyone who wants to quickly try and reproduce it. Whether or not the problem occurs depends on the size of the view port. You may have to resize your browser window.

0 comments

When attempting to load a .p8 cart that exceeds the 65535 character limit (one that may have been created by an external editor or tool), PICO-8 silently drops lines at the end of the cart and does not report errors. It then accepts to save the (now corrupted) cart when pressing Ctrl-S, overwriting the original file.

Here is a sample cartridge for testing purposes; notice that the last print() line disappears when loading it.

One more observation: sometimes, when the 65535 character threshold lies in the middle of a Lua statement, a loading error does appear. I have been unable to identify when exactly.

0 comments

Cart #getugibono-0 | 2020-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My entry for the RNDGAME Jam 2020 by Tom Hall

Alien brain parasites are invading earth! The disguised themselves as yummy food to sneak through the food distribution pipeline. You have to use your scanner to find the imposters and stop them with your beam cannon!

But don't waste any food!

Controls

• UP & Down to move the scanner
  • LEFT & Right to move the Beam Cannon
  • X to fire your Beam

How to play

The food needs to reach the bottom of the screen. But if an imposter touches you or the bottom, the game is over.

You can find the Imposters with your scanner and use the Cannon to destroy them. The more you destroy, the faster you level up. On each level the game gets faster and harder.

Pssst... There are two secret gamemodes to unlock!

Thanks for playing and have fun!

5 comments

Cart #maxbize_portaldeal-3 | 2020-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Chain portals together to collect all the gold!

How to Play

Hey, listen up! This game is tricky to get the hang of!

The objective of the game is to collect all the gold bars. You have a green collector that will grab them whenever it gets close. While you can't control it directly, you can place portals around the level to get it where you need.

The game is broken into two phases:

Setup Phase:

• Left click on any wall with a white edge to add a portal
  • Add as many portals as you want. They chain together. For example, if you place three portals, portal one will lead to portal two which will lead to portal three which will loop back to portal one

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Hello again!

I had a peek into Celeste's code and i believe it is made using ECS or Entity Component systems. It gripped me immediately as i can sort-of understand the way it works, i think. I believe that each entity in a game contains its own update draw and init functions, and in the main update draw and init functions you just have a foreach loop that cycles through them and updates/draws them individually. My first question would be is this right? My second and main question is can anyone expand and put it into (preferably extremely simple) code. I would love to use this new architecture.

Thanks!

4 comments

Cart #ufo-0 | 2020-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A short atmospheric platformer with metroidvania elements. Your UFO has been knocked out of the sky by scavengers and you're now trapped in their swampy junk yard. With the help of some friendly aliens, find a way to disable the electromagnetic pulse cannon that's keeping you from escaping.

This was my entry for RNDGAME Jam 2020.

Left/Right - Move
Z - Jump
X - Use Zapper (once you have received it)
Up/Down - Cycle Zapper Modes (when you have more than 1)

31 comments

Cart #shoot_loops-5 | 2020-05-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

• SHOOT LOOPS IS A 1V1 GAME WHERE YOU MUST REDUCE YOUR OPPONENT'S HEALTH POINTS TO ZERO (0) TO WIN

• SHOOT YOUR OPPONENT TO DEAL TEN (10) DAMAGE

• RETRIEVE YOUR OWN SHOT TO HEAL ONE (1) HEALTH POINT

• SHOTS THAT GO OFFSCREEN LOOP BACK AROUND

• EACH PLAYER MAY ONLY HAVE ONE (1) SHOT LOOPING AT A TIME

PLAYER 1 KEYBOARD CONTROLS:

UP - E
LEFT - S
DOWN - D
RIGHT - F
SHOOT - TAB

PLAYER 2 KEYBOARD CONTROLS:

UP - UP ARROW
LEFT - LEFT ARROW
DOWN - DOWN ARROW
RIGHT - RIGHT ARROW
SHOOT - M

2 comments

Cart #meh1101-0 | 2020-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The F-bomb just keeps exploding into pixels.
This is something I wasted time on. Why? Because.

5 comments

I created a cart containing the following code:

print("hello")

Then in the shell:

save foobar.p8.png

If I close PICO-8 and reopen foobar.p8.png, I get gibberish in the code section:

1 comment

Cart #fuseandswap-2 | 2020-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Fuse into as few shapes as possible by swapping blocks!
Play with buttons or a mouse.

3 comments

Cart #zurikatesi-0 | 2020-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made for RNDGAME jam 2020.

4 comments

Cart #striking_thunder-0 | 2020-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrows move

Z/C shoot

X switches ship mode.

The Robot mode's weapon reflects enemy shots. If a reflected shot takes out an enemy ship, you gain a charge.

Decided to have a crack at making a shmup after rolling the name Striking Thunder in the #RNDGAME2020 jam. Kudos to Dan for creating the title screen.

0 comments

Cart #sleeping_bunnies-0 | 2020-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Sleeping Bunnies

A game made for RNDGAME Jam 2020.

Description

An endless-mode stealth game. The player's goal is to keep the sleeping bunnies alive. Increase your score by collecting carrots, feeding the bunnies, and keeping the bunnies alive.

Controls

Movement: Buttons 0-4 (WASD, d-pad)

Sniff: Button 4 (Z, Blue)

Feed: Button 5 (X, Green)

Menu: Button 4 & Button 5 ( Blue & Green)

Systems

Rabbit Survival

The Rabbit can only be harmed by the Fox. Being caught by the Fox results in a game over. However, the Rabbit cannot be harmed while it is hidden.

Bunny Survival

The Bunnies' health slowly depletes over time. The Rabbit feeds Bunnies by pressing X (green) when nearby. Feeding Bunnies depletes the Rabbit's energy. The Rabbit must find and eat food to restore its energy.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #astroclerk-1 | 2021-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

In the future, humanity will achieve world peace by offloading all of its paperwork to Mars.

You are Astro Clerk, a capable custodian of all documents, forms, certificates, contracts, and records to be found on the red planet.

Tomorrow is Mars Day, the beginning of a long weekend. Unfortunately, this year it falls on the first of the month!

Traverse the hostile terrain and rescue the common pencil-pushers from an endless night locked away completing their quarterly mars reports!

Astro Clerk is my entry for RNDGame Jam 2020, an homage to the early-90s classic The Monuments of Mars. It features 20 levels of puzzle action, autosave, high scores, and 2-bit CGA color!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->