BBS > Community Superblog
All Users | Following | GIFs | Off-site

I've been experimenting with the GPIO pins on PocketCHIP in a Pico-8 game, but it's awkward that it only works for the root user.

Is there some way I could change the permissions of the hardware so that ordinary users can access the GPIO?

0 comments

Cart #picodriller-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Pico Driller

Welcome to Picotown, a city like any other until big blocks started to pop out of the earth right into the middle of the city! The picopeople need you: Pico Driller!

Falling blocks that could squish you anytime? Small capsules of air underground? Ever-present danger? Prepare to drill your way and save the day!

CONTROLS

• Arrow keys to move and navigate menus.
  • X/Z to drill in current direction.

HOW TO PLAY

• Drill as deep as you can, but don't get crushed!
  • Air consumption increases the deeper you go, make sure to refill in time!
  • X-blocks take 5 drills to destroy AND 20% of your air. Beware!

CREDITS
A PICO-8 demake of the NAMCO classic!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

24 comments

Hello!

I am currently making a platformer and i have managed to program my own particle effects like wind and smoke (though they are probably far from optimised). Though i have been stumped with jumping. I would like to use pget() to get the colour of the tile below you so when you jump, little pieces of the same colour will fly up and then land in all directions. I would appreciate some help or perhaps some sample code for me to study. Thanks!

6 comments

Cart #inferno2-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is a prototype for my #rndgame2020 jam game. It requires a computer mouse with a button. Please let me know how you think of it.

0 comments

Cart #runpheidi-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Simply game: escape the bomb

Cart #kesopohn-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #tutodizama-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So I'm really knew to game development and coding as a whole, so I'm still learning basics. I'm trying to figure out how to code a basic jump function. I got it to run but, I'll let you see. Go ahead and boot up the cart if you haven't already. It may take a while for you to notice what's wrong, as it's very subtle, but I trust you'll be able to work it out.

So I got the basic idea for the state code from Urbanmonk's post in this thread
I also referenced begginer's demo and game states-simple from the edu toolset. I tried googling them but nothing showed up. But those were more just learning basic concepts than anything else. IDK why that happens when you start it up. Try pausing and unpausing it also. IDK if the pause button will do it, but if you press escape inside PICO-8 you'll see it happen again. I'm really confused guys. I wouldn't have been surprised if the code was so broke it didn't run but I didn't even consider this happening as a possibility. Like really please I need to know why this even occurred lmao

1 comment

Cart #krajche_the_cement_boy-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

krajche_the_cement_boy

Made with help of this awesome man Dylan Bennett and his tutorials:
@MBoffin Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1wvvbVQ5zo&list=PLdLmU93eWisKpyk1WZywUSYAq5dkCPFIv

Muisc help @Gruber from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 1
Thanks @Gruber

0 comments

Hello everyone!

I am having plenty of fun with pico8 but I feel as though i have gotten to the point where i can comfortably use lua to make a decent game. However, when i peek inside some big games like Celeste and Dank Tomb, it seems to chuck all i know out the window. I investigated and found out about metatables.

My first question would be should i learn about them? Will it help me get to the next stage of pico8 programming?

My second question is regarding an example of a 'simple' metatable:

-- meta class
rectangle = {area = 0, length = 0, breadth = 0}

-- derived class method new

function rectangle:new (o,length,breadth)
   o = o or {}
   setmetatable(o, self)
   self.__index = self
   self.length = length or 0
   self.breadth = breadth or 0
   self.area = length*breadth;
   return o
end

-- derived class method printarea

function rectangle:printarea ()
 		print("the area of rectangle is "..self.area)
end

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=77058#p)
5 comments

Cart #wihkirozo-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

So I made a function to search for a key value in a table and delete that index three times, but the problem is del() deletes the first instance of the value I want to delete and not the index of said value. I put my function below, please help.

function delindex(val)
	for i=1,#table/3 do
		if table[i*3-2]==val then
			del(table, table[i*3-2])
			del(table, table[i*3-2])
			del(table, table[i*3-2])
		end
	end
end
6 comments

Cart #picowars-19 | 2020-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play the full game with story mode HERE

What's that!

Picowars is an 8bit homage to one of the greatest Nintendo games of all time. Advance Wars. That may just me by opinion but it's the right one.

Picowars is a turn-based strategy game where the objective is to build up an army from your bases in order to capture more properties on the map and eventually capture the opposing player's headquarters.

New to the franchise?

Controls

Move your cursor with the arrow keys, select with Z and deselect with X

[ Continue Reading.. ]

33 comments

I use Dropbox to share my PICO-8 carts, screenshots, and gifs between my desktops and laptop. It's extremely useful to use it that way. It means all my carts in are one place, they're all saved to the cloud, and I never have to worry about which carts are on which device. (Another bonus is that I only have to update PICO-8 in one place, Dropbox, when a new version comes out.)

The TL;DR is just installing PICO-8 in a folder in Dropbox, and then tweaking the config file on each device to make sure it uses the Dropbox folder as where stores the carts and images (screenshots and gifs).

I know there are probably tweaks that could be done to this guide for each person's individual setup, and maybe there are ways to improve what I have set up here, but this has worked for me for half a decade, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also, I primarily use Windows machines, so this setup may need tweaking to make this kind of setup work on MacOS or Linux. (It should be effectively the same process, though.)

Here are the steps I use:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #hungryrat-0 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hungry Rat
Goal of the game is to control your hunger by eating falling food. But watch out there are other things falling as well, If you are hit with anything other than food it will add to your hunger and if it fills up completely then you lose. Finish the game by surviving all 16 levels.

Left Arrow=move left
Right Arrow=move right
Z Key=O Button/Jump
X Key=X Button/Main Menu Instructions

Author's Note:

This is my first decent game created with pico 8 and I am not a skillful programmer. So I apologize if you looked at my messy code. It is definitely not optimized, full of bugs and will give you headache if you read it. So be warned. I do plan to refactor this in the future but for now please bear with the game and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I'm noticing crackling or popping noises during music playback in the 0.2.0i web player, either on the BBS or standalone web. I cannot reproduce the noise for the same carts in PICO-8 native. For me this is noticeable and unpleasant, discovered in both the recent Pico Driller and Star Anise Chronicles.

Anyone else hearing this? I can try to record it if that helps.

Chrome 81.0.4044.138, macOS 10.15.4.

0 comments

Cart #forgottenhillpico-2 | 2020-05-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Introducing our first Pico-8 game, a small point-and-click adventure: Forgotten Hill Pico
You’ve been assigned a strange task: find the creature that escaped from the lab. Can you take Pico back to its cage?

My code is pretty rough and not-optimized at all, but it works :)

Special thanks to @Nodepond for the very useful Pic2Pico tool and @Level27Geek for Simple Textbox Framework.
Music Evil by @Gruber from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 1

Thanks to Lexaloffle Games for Pico-8, it's a lot of fun!

2 comments

Cart #snakebrawl-0 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A multiplayer snake challenge (for up to 8 players).

Collect as many fruits as you can. Play either solo or against your friends!

Player colors: P1: blue, P2: red, P3: yellow, P4: green, P5: orange, P6: magenta, P7: pink, P8: gray

Collectible fruits:
[0x0]
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #cbex-6 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Version History

Version 1.1-- Managed to shrink code to under 560 characters, making this a tweettweetcart
Version 1.2-- Fixed game over glitch, improved HUD
Version 1.3-- Removed lives (falling just sends you back to last checkpoint), added control tutorials and background decorations, tweaked controls
Version 1.4-- Fixed crashing caused by Pico-8 updates and some small bugs, added minimalistic parallax scrolling

Join Squirt as he jumps and bounces in the sky through varying times of day, on his way to Cloud Land.

Controls:

Left/Right--------------Move
Hold Z------------------Small bounce
Hold X------------------Regular bounce

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Cart #zujanoduje-15 | 2021-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first arcade strait racer 3d (thanks to MOT's code snippet instant 3d+)

enjoy!

16 comments

Cart #echolocate-1 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game where you control a bat and use echolocate to see the things in the shadows.
some objects restart the game when you touch them so be careful!
echos will bounce off of all objects except the player and air.
use ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ to move and ❎ to echolocate.
currently the cart is mainly a play/test area cuz I am working on the map.
Feel free to post any echolocation art in the comments!
Feel free to make your own play area and share it but YOU MUST:

• Say the original game was made by @CandyColt_Games
  • Have a link to this game
  • You MAY NOT call it anything other than "Echolocate custom map by <your username>" or something similar
  • tag it with: echolocate custom map
  • If you don't follow these then I will report it
  • If you see a echolocate custom map page that does not follow these rules then you can report it

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Top    Load More Posts ->