BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #krajche_the_cement_boy-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

krajche_the_cement_boy

Made with help of this awesome man Dylan Bennett and his tutorials:
@MBoffin Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1wvvbVQ5zo&list=PLdLmU93eWisKpyk1WZywUSYAq5dkCPFIv

Muisc help @Gruber from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 1
Thanks @Gruber

0 comments

Hello everyone!

I am having plenty of fun with pico8 but I feel as though i have gotten to the point where i can comfortably use lua to make a decent game. However, when i peek inside some big games like Celeste and Dank Tomb, it seems to chuck all i know out the window. I investigated and found out about metatables.

My first question would be should i learn about them? Will it help me get to the next stage of pico8 programming?

My second question is regarding an example of a 'simple' metatable:

-- meta class
rectangle = {area = 0, length = 0, breadth = 0}

-- derived class method new

function rectangle:new (o,length,breadth)
   o = o or {}
   setmetatable(o, self)
   self.__index = self
   self.length = length or 0
   self.breadth = breadth or 0
   self.area = length*breadth;
   return o
end

-- derived class method printarea

function rectangle:printarea ()
 		print("the area of rectangle is "..self.area)
end

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=77058#p)
5 comments

Cart #wihkirozo-0 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

So I made a function to search for a key value in a table and delete that index three times, but the problem is del() deletes the first instance of the value I want to delete and not the index of said value. I put my function below, please help.

function delindex(val)
	for i=1,#table/3 do
		if table[i*3-2]==val then
			del(table, table[i*3-2])
			del(table, table[i*3-2])
			del(table, table[i*3-2])
		end
	end
end
6 comments

Cart #picowars-19 | 2020-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play the full game with story mode HERE

What's that!

Picowars is an 8bit homage to one of the greatest Nintendo games of all time. Advance Wars. That may just me by opinion but it's the right one.

Picowars is a turn-based strategy game where the objective is to build up an army from your bases in order to capture more properties on the map and eventually capture the opposing player's headquarters.

New to the franchise?

Controls

Move your cursor with the arrow keys, select with Z and deselect with X

[ Continue Reading.. ]

31 comments

I use Dropbox to share my PICO-8 carts, screenshots, and gifs between my desktops and laptop. It's extremely useful to use it that way. It means all my carts in are one place, they're all saved to the cloud, and I never have to worry about which carts are on which device. (Another bonus is that I only have to update PICO-8 in one place, Dropbox, when a new version comes out.)

The TL;DR is just installing PICO-8 in a folder in Dropbox, and then tweaking the config file on each device to make sure it uses the Dropbox folder as where stores the carts and images (screenshots and gifs).

I know there are probably tweaks that could be done to this guide for each person's individual setup, and maybe there are ways to improve what I have set up here, but this has worked for me for half a decade, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also, I primarily use Windows machines, so this setup may need tweaking to make this kind of setup work on MacOS or Linux. (It should be effectively the same process, though.)

Here are the steps I use:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #hungryrat-0 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hungry Rat
Goal of the game is to control your hunger by eating falling food. But watch out there are other things falling as well, If you are hit with anything other than food it will add to your hunger and if it fills up completely then you lose. Finish the game by surviving all 16 levels.

Left Arrow=move left
Right Arrow=move right
Z Key=O Button/Jump
X Key=X Button/Main Menu Instructions

Author's Note:

This is my first decent game created with pico 8 and I am not a skillful programmer. So I apologize if you looked at my messy code. It is definitely not optimized, full of bugs and will give you headache if you read it. So be warned. I do plan to refactor this in the future but for now please bear with the game and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks!

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

I'm noticing crackling or popping noises during music playback in the 0.2.0i web player, either on the BBS or standalone web. I cannot reproduce the noise for the same carts in PICO-8 native. For me this is noticeable and unpleasant, discovered in both the recent Pico Driller and Star Anise Chronicles.

Anyone else hearing this? I can try to record it if that helps.

Chrome 81.0.4044.138, macOS 10.15.4.

0 comments

Cart #forgottenhillpico-2 | 2020-05-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Introducing our first Pico-8 game, a small point-and-click adventure: Forgotten Hill Pico
You’ve been assigned a strange task: find the creature that escaped from the lab. Can you take Pico back to its cage?

My code is pretty rough and not-optimized at all, but it works :)

Special thanks to @Nodepond for the very useful Pic2Pico tool and @Level27Geek for Simple Textbox Framework.
Music Evil by @Gruber from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 1

Thanks to Lexaloffle Games for Pico-8, it's a lot of fun!

2 comments

Cart #snakebrawl-0 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A multiplayer snake challenge (for up to 8 players).

Collect as many fruits as you can. Play either solo or against your friends!

Player colors: P1: blue, P2: red, P3: yellow, P4: green, P5: orange, P6: magenta, P7: pink, P8: gray

Collectible fruits:
[0x0]
[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Was watching a preview of Panic's SDK for their awesome looking https://play.date and they showed off this fun looking Stars example. I decided to re-implement it in Pico-8 and add some interactivity!

• [D-Pad]: influence the direction of the particles
  • [X]: Hold down to slow down the particles
  • [O]: Randomly change the colors of the foreground and background

Cart #playdatestars-0 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #cbex-6 | 2023-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Version History

Version 1.1-- Managed to shrink code to under 560 characters, making this a tweettweetcart
Version 1.2-- Fixed game over glitch, improved HUD
Version 1.3-- Removed lives (falling just sends you back to last checkpoint), added control tutorials and background decorations, tweaked controls
Version 1.4-- Fixed crashing caused by Pico-8 updates and some small bugs, added minimalistic parallax scrolling

Join Squirt as he jumps and bounces in the sky through varying times of day, on his way to Cloud Land.

Controls:

Left/Right--------------Move
Hold Z------------------Small bounce
Hold X------------------Regular bounce

[ Continue Reading.. ]

7 comments

Made a quick and buggy (hah) Frogger.

I wanted to try an hypothesis: I don't think that in the Atari version they do any collision detection at all. Instead, they may use a formula to check whether current position is occupied by an item or not.

Formula in function positem() returns an x position depending on a direction, speed and offset, and is used to draw items and also for checking if there is something on frogger's position (checkrow())

Cart #frogger-0 | 2020-05-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #zujanoduje-15 | 2021-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first arcade strait racer 3d (thanks to MOT's code snippet instant 3d+)

enjoy!

16 comments

I recently uploaded a few Pico-8 games to itch.io and different people have told me different keys work for their computer, all on windows. Is there a way to make sure that no matter which computer you run a Pico-8 game on, the keys will always be the same?

Thanks,

Enzo

0 comments

Cart #echolocate-1 | 2020-05-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game where you control a bat and use echolocate to see the things in the shadows.
some objects restart the game when you touch them so be careful!
echos will bounce off of all objects except the player and air.
use ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ to move and ❎ to echolocate.
currently the cart is mainly a play/test area cuz I am working on the map.
Feel free to post any echolocation art in the comments!
Feel free to make your own play area and share it but YOU MUST:

• Say the original game was made by @CandyColt_Games
  • Have a link to this game
  • You MAY NOT call it anything other than "Echolocate custom map by <your username>" or something similar
  • tag it with: echolocate custom map
  • If you don't follow these then I will report it
  • If you see a echolocate custom map page that does not follow these rules then you can report it

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

I'd just like to share that I implemented a tracker for the Gamebuino inspired on PICO-8's tracker. It is a bit more primitive, as the Gamebuino console only supports 10-bit audio. Furthermore to keep CPU load acceptable, some pragmatic choices had to be made in generating the audio samples. For example, all calculations are integer-based and only 8-bit multiplications are used. Custom instruments are also not fully supported. In particular, you cannot layer effects, e.g. apply a Vibrato effect on top of a Slide, or vice versa.

However, my tracker supports all instruments and effects available in PICO-8. With that, it is able to reproduce most PICO-8 songs. At least, I successfully managed to render all the songs that I tried to port.

In particular, I want to thank the following PICO-8 users for sharing their carts/music under a Creative Commons license:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Flappy Ducky was made for the OneLevelGameJam on the weekend of 2020.02.02.

Your goal is to find all bread on the map. You have to return all the bread to finish the game!

You can flap equal to the number of feather you have. Bring your lady duck flowers to gain more feathers.

Don't forget to post your time, let's see how can be the flappiest ducky!

Controls:

X - Flap your wings

C - Glide in the air

Cart #flappy_ducky-0 | 2020-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Social and other stuff:
🎤 Twitch
☕ Ko-fi link
🐦Twitter
📷 Instagram
🎮 Itch.io

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #fate_roller_v1-0 | 2020-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

FATE/FUDGE Dice Roller

Press any key to re-roll.

0 comments

Please add volume controls.

This is actually two requests: volume controls for the PICO-8 native apps, and volume controls for the web player (exported and BBS). BBS games in particular are always at full volume, and I rely on web media players to give me a volume setting I can adjust on a per-player basis.

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->