BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #great_hero_meadow_adventure-4 | 2020-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A great heroic meadow adventure. There are no bugs (that I know of)
If your wondering how I got the name, well, it was generated by @thattomhall RNDGAME.
The only thing I need to make now is the map.
If anyone knows how to make bridges that you could walk across and below, that would help a lot!

The little white bar at the top of the screen is your health
If you run out of health then the game will restart
The bee at the bottom left of the screen means if you press 🅾️ you will release a bee
If you see the outline of a bee in the bottom left corner that means you don't have a bee to release
Every three seconds a bee spawns in the honeycomb walk over the honeycomb to collect it

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #yukobuyese-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

Cart #lunarlander-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #lazaruslizard-1 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Lazarus the Lizard

A Simple RPG

[0x0]

Plot

(If you can even call it that)

[0x0]

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Hi everybody! I'm making a master post in which I'm including some of my small works.
The purpose of these carts is to be used live in chiptune concerts as material for vj-ing, so some carts may be actually interacted with.

Please be advised that nothing here is thoroughly optimized and mostly the code is some kind of 'hack' in the worst sense :) all of the stuff is very demo-inspired

Also I have some code background but I'm really unexpierenced in computer graphics and so the stuff you see maybe well known to you but experimental to me, I'm slowly learning mostly by myself and it's very satisfying!

Cart #fakeamigaball2d-0 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I called this fake amiga ball just because of the ball colors, there is no attempt at making it feel 3d.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

@zep seems like something in 0.2.0d (I don't know if it's present in earlier bugfixes of 0.2.0) is wonky with coroutines not updating sometimes or something?? different unpredictable problems are actually happening almost every time I run it; check this out (the dialogue is updated in a coroutine):

so far it seems like most of the time it seems to lead to crashing because variables that are declared inside coroutines are attempted to be referenced by code in the main thread but the variable hasn't been defined yet, which seems to also point to the culprit being coroutines mysteriously not updating every frame like they should (the _update60 method in this cart calls coresume on both of the coroutines every frame; there is one for the dialogue and one for controlling the presentation of the "pins" in each level--both of those are the things that seem to be breaking)

EDIT: okay I've done a bit more testing and there is definitely an issue where a coroutine just starts updating suuuper slowly (seems likely the same issue as is visible in the GIF above) and basically yields in the middle of itself where I don't have any yield statement. For reference, here is some code inside a coroutine where I added debug printh statements:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Cart #cancrusher-3 | 2020-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Can Crusher is a small arcade game where you have to crush soda cans.
Select your favorite can.
Crush as many cans as you can within the time limit, but don't crush your favorite.

UPDATE 1.1

• fixed text aligns
  • added score details
  • added high score
  • added sound fx

Enjoy ;)

11 comments

1 player game X to reset O to serve ball.

Was bored so I made it fast! Enjoy! Reproduced the original visual (64x64) of the original Radio Shack TV Scoreboard Pong visual.

Cart #gamadhti-1 | 2020-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #picodust-0 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Z/X switches you between metal, uranium, radiation, and sand. Click to place. That's all for now. I had electricity implemented but that wasn't working properly (it kept eating the metal instead of just transmitting power). The radiation is a work in progress as well as the whole thing, because the radiation bugs out for an unknown reason. :(

0 comments

Entry for the One Hour Game Jam, Theme: 4 Colors only.

Swap colors to avoid Enemies.

Very short, because I run out of time^^.

3 comments

Cart #rickroll-1 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

4 comments

by Munro
Cart #firanusawi-0 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

• Arrow keys to move cursor
  • Z to select a piece and for confirm moving
  • X to deselect a piece

Rules

• Pieces move like rooks (four directions, infinite distance).
  • Pieces are captured when sandwiched between two opposing pieces.
  • Corners and central tile can't be moved onto except for the King. They count as a opposing piece when capturing.

Winning

• Attackers win if they can capture the King by having pieces/corners/board edges on all four of the king's side.
  • Defenders win if the king gets to any of the four corners.
0 comments

Good morning friends! I was working on a different, text-heavy project, but when I showed it to some friends they had a hard time reading the built-in font.

So I decided that I needed a custom font, but I really don't have the sprite-sheet space to make it work.

I couldn't find one I liked in the BBS, so I built this, and I thought it might be interesting.

Cart #dcfonter-2 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The font renderer supports variable-width fonts with both upper and lower case. Other than that it's pretty basic: the letters don't have descenders, I only actually drew the glyphs I needed, and I haven't put a whole lot of effort into optimizing any particular part of it.

Still, the final product is pretty small, and easy to modify.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Hi, I’ve seen some carts in SPLORE that display label images which appear to be custom art (not screenshotted from in-game). This leads me to believe it’s possible to replace a cart’s label image with custom art. What would be the easiest way to do this? Thanks!

14 comments

Cart #obj_import_v01-1 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An importer for the Wavefront .OBJ format. Exports a code template with setup and a basic rendering loop. The template uses includes that are available at https://github.com/jorikemppi/pico-8-bits-and-pieces/tree/master/include. Import/export features require clipboard access, but if you just want to play around with it on a browser, it can also generate a cube.

Currently work in progress, both on the rendering engine side and the importer GUI side. Feel free to share your GUI improvement suggestions, as nearly everything in the GUI can currently be improved a lot :)

Features

• Loads both Wavefront .OBJ files and its own internal format by pasting the object into PICO-8

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

After discussing base64 encoding in a recent thread, I decided to try my own version of it for storing level strings, but after some experimentation I started wondering how much of a storage benefit it really offers vs. hexidecimal. I also came across an old post from user Overkill from 2016, in which he concludes that unfavorable interaction with Pico-8's built-in compression basically negates base64's byte-per-character advantage.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3738

I decided to perform a test of my own to measure the difference precisely. To do this, I used some web-based tools to generate random strings, using both hexidecimal and my own base64 character set, which uses as many 1-byte characters as possible (59, to be specific -- certain characters like small caps and glyphs use 2 bytes). I generated very large strings and pared them down just enough to fill the compressed data limit to 100.00% using each character set. I performed 3 trials each, recording how many characters would fit for each encoding type, then averaged these amounts for a general comparison. Results are as follows:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

2 comments

Cart #bbys-0 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Push the bby to the milk and away from the monsters to keep her alive! Monsters and bbys both starve to death if they don't eat!

PRESS z TO START

PRESS x TO TOGGLE NAMETAGS

Featuring:

3 Levels and a Boss fight!
Cutscene dialogues!
A completely benign and well-meaning narrator that really cares!
BBYS of all colors!
Wearable pink accessories that change the flow of the game! 

Secret Knowledge:

Monsters prioritize chasing BBYS of the same color as themselves!

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/lambdanaut !

5 comments

Cart #wedugojowo-1 | 2020-04-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's lunchtime, but the Covid-19 virus still rages.

Can you get lunch?

1 comment

after moving (via cut/paste) some SFX in the new super-cool pattern editor view, it seems sometimes it breaks the SFX editor's copy/paste in that when I highlight a few notes, copy them, and try to paste them, it keeps saying a message like "pasted 2 sfx" (instead of "notes") and has no apparent effect (at least not that I can see from within the SFX editor). I haven't found any way to fix it besides reloading the cart.

EDIT: actually I just saw it happen even without using the pattern editor...copy/paste just mysteriously stops working sometimes. it looks like entering some notes makes it start working again though?

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->