BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

A quick implementation of the 10 times tic tac toe! Arrows select the grid, Z to place a piece. Player 1 and player 2 alternate.

Missing stuff:

• You always start from the middle game
  • Nothing happens if you win/lose the game
  • There is no real enforcement of the rules, apart from the "you can only play in this grid".

Rules (from boardgamegeek):

Each cell of the 3x3 grid of the master-game is broken into a 3x3 grid for a mini-game of Tic-Tac-Toe. You play each mini-game of Tic-Tac-Toe normally to try and win that cell in the Master grid.

There is a twist to normal Tic-Tac-Toe play however. The first player can place their piece in any of the 91 min-board squares on the board. After that each player must move to the mini-game which their opponent sends them.

• So if the first player plays in the top right square of one of the 9 mini-games, then the opponent must play their move in the minigame in the top right Master cell. Subsequent play follows the same rule.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #paziwerize-0 | 2019-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

While there is no true PCOPY() command yet for Pico-8, you can certainly simulate having 3-extra virtual pages that will cost you no tiles, no mapper, and even no array space - if you are content to use the resolution of 64x64. In this two new commands are introduced. PCOPY() which will copy a page number from 0 to 3 back to a different page number 0 to 3 where zero is the display page.

It uses MEMCPY() so it should be fast enough.
Changed to use PGET() as apparently memcpy() does not work incrementally.

Doing so you can create images on the other three pages and recall them anytime you want.

You plot pixels using the PST() command where the first argument is page # (0-3), then x-coordinate, then y-coordinate, then color.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #terrain_test_thing-0 | 2019-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Some kind of terrain editor. Place blocks with LMB, delete them with RMB, and cycle between blocks with the mouse wheel.

1 comment

Cart #astrostorm-0 | 2019-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

First game, simple space dodger. Happy to receive feedback on gameplay and implementation!

2 comments

It looks like the "counter" of tokens and characters only looks in the main .p8 file; I'm using an external editor and my main just pulls in the external files but the character count seems to only account for the contents of the main file.

2 comments

Cart #depozewye-0 | 2019-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #pebebiyihi-0 | 2019-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #tribuduta-0 | 2019-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #bunruhume-0 | 2019-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #duhitigujo-1 | 2019-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #tarowawuna-0 | 2019-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was made for a college course. There are some known errors, probably a lot of unknown. I don't know if I would call it "complete," but it will still manage to kill some time!

1 comment

Cart #rascalsadventureness-0 | 2019-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My character just moves... the concept was to have him break rides but the collisions are giving me trouble.

0 comments

As simple as the subject.

• Write a cart that uses btnp().
  • Run the cart.
  • Press and hold a button to see it repeats.
  • Hit esc to stop the cart.
  • Enter 'resume' to resume the cart.
  • Press and hold a button and see if it fails.

(Either that or key repeat isn't supposed to be a thing with btnp() and it only works right after you resume.)

This code is sufficient to show it:

boops=0
function _update()
  if btnp()!=0 then
    boops+=1
    print("boop #"..boops)
  end
end

Note: tested on win64 version.

1 comment

I've invested some time working on a demake for one of my favourite games from the 8-bit era, Deflektor (by Costa Panayi). Your goal is to guide a laser to the receiver on each of the levels, access to it is blocked until you destroy all pods on the level. Laser overloads when it hits mines or if the emitter gets feedback.

Cart #deflektor-18 | 2020-08-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HOW TO PLAY (you can go through this tutorial in the game itself)

CHANGELOG V0.5.5

• 1 MORE LEVEL (now totalling 8)

CHANGELOG V0.5.4

• 1 MORE LEVELS (now totalling 7)

CHANGELOG V0.5.3

• 2 MORE LEVELS (now totalling 6)
  • ADDED safety pre-check so levels don't start on full-reflection or overload status

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

With the launch of PICOWARE, I got many reports from player saying they got a "communication error" when trying to play the minigames. This error was a fail-safe mechanism intended to avoid a situation, wherein someone tries to start a minigame cart in any other way than from the main cart.

The implementation is: on main cart load, zero out the "difficulty" save data. On subcart load, set the difficulty — it's guaranteed to be in range 1..15. In subcart, check if saved difficulty is 0 — if yes, stop the cart and display a message about a communication error.

Subcarts decide what mode/difficulty/minigame will be used based on the data received from the main cart, and so this is to enforce starting from the main cart. Furthermore, after a whole playthrough, subcarts are supposed to return to the main cart and inform it of the score. Can't imagine a situation when the player starts a minigame in a "single minigame" mode, then the subcart starts the whole story mode, and after finishing returns to the story cart which informs the player that they beat the whole stage.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #mrcornsadventure-0 | 2019-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2 comments

I am coming back to Pico8 after a few month pause just to find that I still cannot fix a problem I have with my platformer project. I would appreciate any help on it.

what I have:

The camera follows a point offset from the character.
I achieved a rubberband effect with

v = (cam.aim-cam.p)*0.1 
cam.p += v

where cam.aim is a vector with an offset from the players position vector and cam.p is the current camera position.
When using the parachute this is only true when the character has a certain distance form the camera position. Also there is a different behavior while the parachute is opening.

While the camera is totaly fine while running and jumping, it becomes jittery when the character is mid air and moving really slowly. That's because, I think, the camera cannot decide if it is one pixel away from it's destination or not.

Whatever I do .. It stays that way. or doesn't work at all ^^"

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Has anyone got Pico-8 working on Raspberry Pi 4? Specifically under Raspbian Buster, console/terminal mode?

I've got it running in the Desktop, but there are graphics issues (tearing, non-smooth scrolling) so want to run it from the console. I have done this in the past on Pi 1/3, but am having trouble with the Pi 4...

Launching Pico-8 give me the following error:

SDL Error: Could not create EGL window surface

** FATAL ERROR: Unable to create window

(SDL restoring keyboard) Segmentation fault

(pico8_dyn gives the same error)

Anyone know what I need to do?

17 comments

Cart #kemupejijo-0 | 2019-08-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

emmmm,just a personal learning produce.

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->