BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Hi folks! First time poster here. I'm getting my head around p8 for the first time, and exploring lots of carts to learn more. One common thing I see in many carts is odd, dotted patterns buried deep in the sprite sets. Are these lookups for pallette swaps, or some other wizarding technique I'm unaware of?

4 comments

Cart #v360voxchaosgame-3 | 2018-12-20 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my chaos game sim I showed off over on Twitter yesterday!
EDIT: Fixed a bug with 2 edges, and also fixed some rounding issues.

Also, here's how to control this:

While viewing chaos:

• Z will open the menu.
  • X will change rotate modes, but only if you have a finite amount of points.

While in menu:

• Left and Right will edit the current value.
  • Up and Down will move your cursor.
  • Z will close the menu.

Rotate modes go like this:

• Don't rotate
  • Do rotate
  • Do rotate, but you can control it with Left and Right.

EDIT 2: Added step option, which lets you run the chaos game faster.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #mufuwogega-9 | 2020-03-08 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

minor update.

4 comments

Cart #stackopresents-1 | 2018-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Press Z, or click/tap anywhere on the game to stack each present.

How high can you go?

Created by Tom Brinton
for the PICO-8 Advent Calendar 2018

4 comments

Internet capability. It's not something you hear much of when talking about Pico-8, even if it's looked down upon for the ridiculousness of a 80's themed console could do such a thing. But there is one common term that does crop op alot, BBS. BBS is the name of Pico-8's Cart Library (Bulletin Board System, for those unaware) and the thing I wish Pico-8 users could freely control. Now Pico-8 already has one of these and indeed it does, but Imagine running your own.
Pico-8 has started many people on there careers as game developers, why not web developers? I'd like to mention some points.

1. Private Sites
    Pico-8 isn't a very private thing, which is a good thing, but imagine a small Pico-8 games company. hosting there own BBS for chatting with there members on a custom designed web-page, keyboard controlled. Having your mini-software logo featured at the top of the screen in glories 16 colors, it sounds like a dream come true.

2.New Challenges
The struggles of dealing with the web development are more than a minor nuisance, an while I believe It would be simplified for Pico-8 users, Dealing with the people logged in, Members who are allowed and not, maybe even dealing with a White-list. Valuable skill for anybody

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #holipachiphoto2018-1 | 2018-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The Holiday Advent Calendar fun continues!

Story: It's close to the holiday break, and a bored young student scribbles seasonal pictures. As he begins to drift off to sleep, they start to come to life..

Left/Right - move cursor
X - drop ball

Try to clear all boards in under 35 balls to unlock a new mode (Mouse required):
Up/Down - adjust ball size
Left click - (Ball) drop ball / (Line) click & drag to draw line / (Clear balls) delete balls
Right click - toggle modes

Credits -

@Gruber - Provided the awesome music track! (on twitter as www.twitter.com/gruber_music)
@2darray & @Felice - Helped learn me some vector math! Thank both of you for all your help and feedback

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

A bit of Hyperglycemic Insomniacal Manual Manic Mischief:
Almost THREE (3) years worth of PICO-8 _mainloops!

0 comments

Cart #theabroborasthiefv1-6 | 2019-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Colect the coins and steal the pumpkin!!!
BEWARE THE DOG!

Press X to start.
If you die: -500 points, press X again to replay the level.

Only one level

Four levels and a total score screen with a new music.

Penalty system implemented

1 comment

Cart #mb_ohgj2018-4 | 2018-12-17 | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a remake of a PICO-8 game I made for the 2018 Zero-Hour Game Jam! Find all the orbs before the time runs out!

0 comments

Wip - My second demo

Cart #mejafepumi-0 | 2018-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Wip - My First Demo
I start, I learn programming ...

Cart #hotifnmu-0 | 2018-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Somehow, box causes extreme lag. To reproduce, just add this code:

box(0, 0, 0, 127, 127, 63, 7)

I don't want to kill people's browsers, but here's a cart. Play at your own risk.

Cart #laggybox-1 | 2018-12-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Edit: Updated with some stuff that better demonstrates how big the lag spike is. Press z to lag. Sorry for these frequent edits.

0 comments

Cart #bifajitedu-1 | 2018-12-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Trying to figure out why the player looks so jittery. I'm having the camera follow the player, and the ground below looks fine as the player moves, but the player itself is super jittery. In the embedded player here it looks fine, but while running in the designer, it's super jittery.

3 comments

Cart #sokahebot-0 | 2018-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I am trying to recreate an old zx spectrum game from 1983 called Shadowfax, not because it's good, although I do have fond memories of playing it with my brother, but because I wanted to learn a bit a coding with pico-8.

It's kinda sorta there, minus enemy death animation and the four digit score display. Even though I've tried to remake it in all of its boring glory, I have added variable speed to the enemy otherwise playing it was pointless. The things I need to work on are;

-Death animations i.e flashing sprite
-Four digit scores
-Changing the awful sfx (really, they suck, turn your volume down)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #xmas_delivery-0 | 2018-12-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Christmas Delivery

My second PICO-8 game. In this one, you're Santa delivering presents in the wee hours of Christmas morning. I'm fairly happy with the result, although the game is quite short. My top score is 79% :)

I tried to incorporate all of the elements to make this a "real" game, e.g. title screen, in-game instructions, music. A high scores list at the end would have probably been a good addition. If you have thoughts on other ways to polish the game, let me know. I'm still exploring other PICO-8 games (really enjoying the advent calendar).

Additional links

This game was made for an itch.io game jam where you only use two buttons (pretty easy to accommodate on PICO-8!):

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

It's officially released on Steam!!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1448720/

old version

Cart #konsairi_a-1 | 2019-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The game has a larger map!
More game-like updates have been made.

MANUAL

Update contents

• Added new Area maps.
  • Root vegetables may come off all at once.
  • Added new Enemies(Virus).
  • Added new NPC.
  • Status improvement by meal.
  • Some actions cancelable.
  • Detailed behavior.

Next plan

• Completed game system
  • More NPC, More Roots, More Enemies!!
  • Add Ending scene(additional carts?)
  • Add the farm that grows favorite root vegetables
  • (Game will be sold in game store)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

Cute Sunshine Strikes Again! Charge up your cuteness explosion and clear the sky from the evil rainclouds. Will we ever see the blue sky again?

It's still a work in progress! If you have any thoughts on the game or ideas what we could improve, please let me know in the comment section.

0 comments

This is another game from our Pico 8 Game Jam.
In "Between Water and Fire" you have to keep the balance and make sure that your tea kettle doesn't get empty or cold.
Whenever you're in the blue area, the water bar rises and the fire bar sinks (and vice versa).
Any ideas and feedback are very much appreciated!

More updates coming soon :)

0 comments

Hi,
"Night of the Worm Slayer" is a game that we're developing as part of a Pico 8 Game Jam in school.
You are a belligerent garden gnome. Find your way through the maze, dodge the cats and slay the worms that tyrannize the garden!
Today we're working on the hitboxes for the cats. One of the gifs shows you what the player's field of vision is going to be.
Tell us what you think :)

3 comments

Cart #mb_tweetcart01-0 | 2018-12-13 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first Voxatron tweetcart! Enjoy!

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->