BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #trevon_cruise-0 | 2020-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've never been on a cruise, but this is what I imagine it'd be like! Press O or X to admire the view.

1 comment

Just got the new Pimori Picade 10" and wanted to set up PICO-8.

• Downloaded the RPi version from the site
  • Unzipped it to /home/pi/pico-8
  • Created a file called splore.sh, put it in home/pi/pico-8 (And made it executable, see below for the file contents)
  • Updated the es_systems.cfg file to add a pico-8 entry (See below for entry)
  • Rebooted and launched RetroPi, launched the splore.sh file and got an error saying libwiringPi wasn't linked. So I installed that and when I run now I get a segfault
  • Created a bash file to launch it in emulationstation, and it is missing the libwiringPi library. So I installed that and now I get a segfault whenever I try and launch it

Here's the splore.sh file:

#!/bin/bash
pushd "/home/pi/pico-8"
./pico8 -splore
popd

Here's the es_systems.cfg entry:

<system>
	<name>pico8</name>
	<fullname>PICO-8</fullname>
	<path>/home/pi/pico-8</path>

[ [size=16][color=#ffaabb] [ Continue Reading.. ] [/color][/size] ](/bbs/?pid=84965#p)
7 comments

Cart #simpleinputsystem-0 | 2020-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple input system, to manage key/button presses.

Registers pressed and release buttons.
Horizontal axis, vertical axis, O and X buttons are all independent of each other.

The code is commented, so you can follow along what it is doing (and possibly improve it, if you wish).

As is, it is good enough and does the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more efficient way of doing this.

7 comments

Cart #playmedusa_goblinsgold-5 | 2020-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rumors say that goblins hide their most precious treasures deep within their nests. They guard it with their own lifes, so it must be quite valuable indeed!

If you want the Goblins' Gold you must be tough, but also cautious and witty! Traverse 10 levels of goblin-infested rooms one step at a time, facing 8 different creatures, from the mindless slime to fearsome necromancers.

HOW TO PLAY:

• Attack enemies by bumping into them. Your sword will do the job.
  • Use the ZAP attack (X) to hit and stun (if they can be stunned) all enemies around you.
  • Clear a room to find the stairs to the next level (grab all gold and kill all enemies)
  • Do not rush! This is a turn based game. Some enemies are fast and weak, some slow and won't be stunned by your blows. They are easy to defeat when they are alone, but dangeours if they surround you!
  • Make the most of your surroundings! Running head-first is not usually the safest option...

THANKS FOR PLAYING!

This was a side-side-project inspired by Jeremiah Reid's Broughlike tutorial, loosely translated to Pico-8 as a first contact with this wonderful fantasy console.

4 comments

Cart #luccica-7 | 2021-06-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"Luccica the Witch" is the classic shooting game.
Shot or Use MAGIC!

・control
〇:shot (if manual mode)
×:magic (with cursor key)

・Magics
×(only):FIST OF TITAN (20%)
×+↑:ICICLE ARROW(20%)
×+←:MAGICAL BLASTER(40%)
×+→:BURNING PHOENIX(60%)
×+↓:SHORT BRAKE(30%)

You can check how it works in practice mode.

・tips
There are 3 stages, and each stage has boss fight.
You can collect MP(magic point) automatically, while player in right side in window.
You can use different magic at same time.

4 comments

Silly Snow

Cart #db_silly_snow-3 | 2020-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(update: added 2 new methods that incorporate gusts of wind)

Controls

UP/DOWN chooses different behaviour for the snow flakes
X changes the colour of the falling snow so you can see the "trick" a bit easier
O/Z toggles drawing the non-snow bits of the graphics each frame on and off

What it is

--

TL;DR
Only track falling snow, add lying snow to the background.

--

As it's that time of year again, I thought I'd write some winter-themed stuff.

This is my take on ye olde faithful falling snow demo, which I'm using for the intro screen for another cart (on its way soon). I've cleaned it up a bit, added way more comments than I normally do and added some options to show what's happening a bit and show some variations. Click "Code" below the display above if you're interested.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #picosnake-1 | 2020-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just another Pico Snake Clone. Press X For Bomb Mode!

3 comments

Cart #rock_paper_automata-0 | 2020-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Rock Paper Automata

This is a Rock Paper Scissors Cellular Automata.

A cell change colour when the number of neighbouring cells that beats it is above a threshold (2 by default).

Green beats Red. Blue beats Green. Red beats Blue.

I have also added Black cells that are beaten by all cells and White cells that act as boundaries.

Controls

You place cells by using your mouse.
You can change the colour of the cells you place with ⬅️/➡️.
You can advance the simulation one step with 🅾️ or make it advance automatically with ❎.
You can change the neighbouring enemy cells threshold with ⬆️/⬇️.

Also the screen loops.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

1 comment

Cart #castle_lololo-0 | 2020-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a remix from the theme from the second stage from Kirby's Dreamland. Also a GameBoy colors feature is in it too.

1 comment

Cart #gayukogugo-1 | 2020-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

UFO: Scorpion's Curse

As you were surveying the hairless ape's mega-structure in your spacecraft the way out was sealed shut! Now trapped, find a way out so you can return home to Mars!

Controls

• Arrow keys to move.
  • X to abduct something (grab) or drop current object.
  • Enter to bring up pause menu
  • Continue to resume game.
  • Last Checkpoint to restart at the last checkpoint, resetting all rooms.
  • Reset Cart to reload the game.

Credits

• Code and Art Edits: Munro Hoberman (Twitter)
  • Level Design: Lionel Miele-Herndon (Twitter)
  • Music: John McKinnon (Youtube)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

Cart #projectiondemo-1 | 2020-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How does 3D projection work? this gif goes over the basics in 2 and a half minutes!
view the full gif split up here, with captions:
https://imgur.com/a/DjyHKag

9 comments

Cart #suhgtefi-0 | 2020-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello this is the "demo" of an open ended cart tutorial. I don't wish to make and complete "SPACE INVADERS", but I will give us all of the tools to do so on our own. This is because this series will be more of a Pico-8 basics tutorial rather than "SPACE INVADERS". It will teach us the following:
-Variables
-Lists
-If statements
-Loops
-Print
And it will teach some basic design principles along the way.

See you there:

https://youtu.be/TZ0vePueojs

0 comments

Cart #pix_a_sketch-2 | 2020-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Drawing software is expensive and complicated... this isn't!

Pix-A-Sketch combines the controls of your favourite drawing toy with the amazing colors and usability of Paint! All in an breathtaking 8bit resolution!

Controls:

Arrow keys - move brush
X + Up/Down - change brush size
C + Up/Down - change color
Share your artworks on social media with #Pixasketch or tag the creator Yulia Bagel

Leave a rating (here or on itch.io) for good karma uwu

1 comment

Cart #athingimadeawhileago-0 | 2020-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

made this a while ago, it's 2-player but you can try to play with yourself ofc ;)

the controls are arrow keys and ESDF (1 step from WASD)

0 comments

Cart #mastermind-0 | 2020-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello, i have an obscure problem in my first game. I have a random runtime error after a while in the game.

Pico-8 say : runtime error Attempt to perform arithmetic on field '?' (a nil value)

It's in this function :

function couleur_plus()
for i=1, niv do
rectfill(26,tpy[i],30,tpy[i]+4,tc1[i])
rectfill(35,tpy[i],39,tpy[i]+4,tc2[i])
rectfill(44,tpy[i],48,tpy[i]+4,tc3[i])
rectfill(53,tpy[i],57,tpy[i]+4,tc4[i])
rectfill(62,tpy[i],66,tpy[i]+4,tc5[i])

rectfill(79,tpy[i],83,tpy[i]+4,tv1[i])
rectfill(88,tpy[i],92,tpy[i]+4,tv2[i])
rectfill(97,tpy[i],101,tpy[i]+4,tv3[i])
rectfill(106,tpy[i],110,tpy[i]+4,tv4[i])
rectfill(115,tpy[i],119,tpy[i]+4,tv5[i])

if (test==1) niv+=1
test+=1
end
end

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #mandelbrot1-0 | 2020-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Mandelbrot Set Thing wooooo

• Explore the Mandelbrot set by zooming in on certain areas you so desire.
  • Go to the pause menu and select change palette. The starting palette uses every Pico-8 color and is a lil ugly, but the others you can cycle through are kinder on the eyes.

Bewaaareeeee

If you zoom too far, you'll reach the limitations of Pico-8 and floating point precision errors. The view selection will wig out and you'll get results you don't expect. When this happens, you can zoom out again with the undo button.

0 comments

Cart #starmr-0 | 2020-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My favorite 2600 game has to be Activision's StarMaster. It had everything: space combat, docking maneuvers, a map. The whole nine yards.

This game only has one of those things. I'd hoped to complete it for TweetTweetJam 5, but I'm just happy it got finished at all. There are a couple tricks I'm pretty proud of in here, and I look forward to the next one!

Code:

cls()l=line
l(9)
?"🐱"
memcpy(0,24576,512)c=-64m=0n=0w=-9a=0z=8s=0j=w::_::camera(c,c)b=btn()x=b&2x-=2*b&2b\=4y=b&2y-=2*b&2for i=0,19do
q=(i^.2+t())%1*96+19p=i^.7pset(q*cos(p)+x*8,q*sin(p)+y*8,6)end
?s..0,c,58
w+=1-w\24>>3sspr(0,0,8,8,m-w/2,n-w/4,w\c*-w,w)j+=1/8if(j<0)o=atan2(m,n)u,v=m,n
u-=x+cos(o)v-=y+sin(o)circfill(u,v,j,10)p=j\8\c
j+=p*17f=-p*pget(u,v)*.9s*=1-f\8p=z%8\7*pget(0,0)z+=1-z\8if(p==9)w=-20f=9s+=10
if(p>9)j=-9f=9s+=5
b&=z
z-=b&8s-=b\8p=80-z*9q=p/2l(p-16,q-8,p,q,8)l(16-p,q-8,-p,q)a+=rnd(.1)-.05m-=x-m\c-cos(a)n-=y-n\c-sin(a)flip()cls(f)goto _

0 comments

Advent (of code) is here!

On 1st December every year since 2015 starts the best advent calendar: Advent of Code! It's a series of 50 small programming challenges that get progressively harder every day and can be solved in any programming language!

Quote from the creator, Eric Wastl:

Advent of Code is an Advent calendar of small programming puzzles for a variety of skill sets and skill levels that can be solved in any programming language you like. People use them as a speed contest, interview prep, company training, university coursework, practice problems, or to challenge each other.

I can't find any mentions about AoC on BBS which is a true shame, because PICO-8 is perfect for solving and visualising AoC puzzles! (At least the first ones.) I wanted to share this awesome contest with you and in this post I will be including carts with my solutions for as long as I can keep up. GL;HF!

If you want to compete here's my private leaderboard code: 979701-cf5ded3a

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #crafdefense-1 | 2020-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CrafDefense is a different sort of tower defense game. More MacGyver than Sun Tzu.

• Customize towers by slotting items to modify targeting, flight, and applied effects. Every combination is viable. But it's up to you to figure out which ones will keep you alive in each battle.
  • Watch in awe as your towers randomly shoot, regardless of whether any space squids are anywhere nearby. Learn to turn their bizarre firing patterns to your advantage.
  • Cackle with glee as swarms of monsters are torn through by your carefully duct-taped arsenal.

Made for #JamCraft

5 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->