BBS > Community Superblog
All | Following | GIFs | Off-site

Cart #loop_n_scoop-11 | 2019-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Penguin Pete's Loop N Scoop

This is my first pico8 game and is still a work in progress for Game Off 2019! Feedback is appreciated. :)

Help Penguin Pete run his ice cream truck as you avoid deadly predators!

Collect ONLY flavors needed for your next order, or it's game over.

Combos

Get combos and spawn wildcards by completing orders in one move.
Wildcards count for any flavor and will fill the FIRST incomplete scoop in your order.
Consecutive combos will increase points received for the next order.

Powerups

Get powerups for every 5 orders completed.

• SHIELD protects you temporarily when you collide with an enemy.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

ha
by dw817
Cart #ha-1 | 2019-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Having been experimenting with compressing screens of pixels I was wondering if it were possible to write a compressor that returned the results of a dithered image. That is, where the output results would be difficult or impossible to compress effectively using standard methods of image compression.

And this is a 1st stage. Tomorrow if I have time I'll work on and post the 2nd stage. If it's successful it will also dither an image but in a third of the current compression space (less than 512-chars) yet still span the full screen.

For instance this particular image compresses from 16384-chars (raw image) to 1457-chars. Obviously it does not include all 16-colors and instead relies on a black and white table that is a size of 5. Five because I want to have both solid black and white in it.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

11 comments

Cart #packbat_palettes_demo-1 | 2020-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

revision 1: use pal(#,#,1) commands instead of poke() commands to set colors on screen palette.

I spent a while being very, very confused about screen palettes and draw palettes, but I've started to feel like I've got a hang of it? And I decided to make a visual expression of how these work as a PICO-8 cart.

In the default state, the screen palette contains the sixteen colors of the default palette - 0-15 - and the draw palette links the sixteen draw colors 0-15 directly to these default colors.

When the draw palette changes, different colors from the screen palette are loaded into the draw color slots. The sprite still refers to the same draw colors - in this case, 0-3 across the top, 4-7 in the second row, 8-11 in the second-to-bottom row, and 12-15 in the bottom row - but these draw colors have been redefined in terms of the screen palette.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

3 comments

Cart #marsmountain-3 | 2020-02-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game made out of love for Celeste if you think this is the same as vanilla celeste pico8 you are wrong, I removed the dash, changed the sprite, I added troll blocks and as a result, had to change a lot of levels and make brand new original levels for the second half of the game. "The which if you with patient ears attend, What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend"(Shakespear, 1597).

23 comments

Some people tried to tell me that PICO-8 runs as fast as a host machine does (which, as we all know, is not true).

So I created this little "benchmark" cart with a roto-zoomer effect running in 60FPS. Use up/down keys to change the filled area of a screen. On my computer (MacBook Pro 2017) it consumes 98.2361% of PICO-8 CPU time at 47 lines.

Cart #bekepezito-0 | 2019-11-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1 comment

Cart #plsrush-0 | 2019-11-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

this is my lil partydemo for SIGGRAPH ASIA 2019's demoparty! pls excuse the dodgy code and music ;D

9 comments

Cart #runamazayi-0 | 2019-11-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Ballpop by "The Snowmonkey"
Press left or right to aim,and z to fire.
Match three colors to get points.
When the flashing line reaches the top, game over.
Newball function modified from "Combo Pool".

0 comments

Cart #slide-0 | 2019-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Slide, my Pico-8 version of the Rush Hour game. It contains 40 levels.

The object of the game is to get the red block out of the grid.

In menu:
L/R arrow keys to select level
x to start level

In game:
arrow keys to choose/move block
x to select/deselect block
c to cancel level and go to menu

1 comment

MAKE CODE THE WAY YOU WANT IT.

As Tweets seem to be of interest, I thought I would share some shortcuts I have found over my time programming in Pico-8 which may save you vital characters to getting that desired 560-characters.

Let's look at some of the commands first:

PRINT
Can be abbreviated as ? if first character on line

RUN""
Not well-known will clear your variables and run your program again from the beginning.

LINE(a,b,c,d)
Leaving out c and d will draw line from last drawn position using default color.

RECT(a,b,c,d) and RECTFILL(a,b,c,d)
Leaving out c and d will draw hollow or filled rectangle starting from coordinates 0,0, default color.

COLOR()
By itself will choose color 6.

_SET_FPS(fps)
Instead of creating tricky timers, just force your code to run at this FPS, can be higher than 60 too, 120 is possible !
Test that with this code:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Cart #lucylovepebs-0 | 2019-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is Lucy Loves Pebbles, a game in 559 characters where you feed Lucy Miu with her favorite pellet-based food. #TweetTweetJam

Press X to flip the flippers and try to fling the pebbles into the cat's mouth. If she eats enough, she'll be happy - otherwise, well, nothing happens.

I'd never tried to minify game code before - only demos for #tweetcart. As it turned out, I made two choices that would make this one very difficult to minify: I spent a stupid number of characters drawing the cat head exactly as I wanted (instead of picking cheaper graphics for it) and I chose game mechanics that were really much more complex than I ought to have chosen.

The implementation was fairly straightforward: the left side of the screen (i.e., the cat's face and rail/flipper) are drawn with primitives, then memcpy/spr-flipped to the other side. I use the distance to center to determine what happens when the flippers are pressed, and the height to determine if it makes it in the cat's mouth.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

0 comments

Hey guys, I'm trying to add Player 2 controls but it looks like it's not working for me. I'm trying to do btnp(S) and btnp(f) etc for 2nd player controls and that's not working.

Is there anything specific I have to write/do to enable two players?

4 comments

Cart #fuwikufuzi-1 | 2019-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for a class involving learning on Pico-8. Totally understand there are a lot of these clones out here for multiple classes. Thanks for looking.

0 comments

Cart #bepumerika-0 | 2019-11-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was a school project. This is the completed state in which i am turning in. Still plan on working on this and adding more to it in the future.

The goal is to break all the bricks. The game has 3 levels, if you can see what the 3rd level is shaped like post a comment on what you think it is. This is a remake or similar copy of breakout or brick-breaker.

0 comments

Cart #rtupewre-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a very rough breakout game that I made for a video game development class.

0 comments

Cart #twep-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my submission for the #TweetTweetJam. Use the arrow keys to dodge things. I was able to fit saving and a sound in the 560 characters as well! Also play on itch.io.

0 comments

What's new in version 0.8:

• new graphics for Jack, Queen and King

What's new in version 0.7:

• removed bug with incorrect start new game after you win (thanks packbat)
  • updated shuffle function to Fisher–Yates method
  • added some bleeps
  • added item "end game" to start menu for return to start screen

Cart #solitaire_by_myshaak-5 | 2019-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

14 comments

Cart #rainbow_tunnel-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first TweetTweetCart (558 chars of code)! Made for TweetTweetJam 3!

<> to move
Z to jump

My best score is 560
Itch page: Rainbow Tunnel

Have fun!

0 comments

Cart #marcus11-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

0 comments

Cart #zimibidaja-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

0 comments

Hello,

I'm a PICo8 noob, trying to follow Dylan Bennett's tutorial on YouTube: "PICO-8 Top-Down Adventure Game Tutorial - Step 5/10" and I'm not understanding why it's not working. I've tirelessly, study my code vs video and I cannot see the issue.

Please help!

0 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->